Cambrian Models - Ownership change Autumn 2017

lochlongside

Parkside used to swap out the wheels for P4 at shows. Most helpful and a valuable service.

Peco will not be continuing this sadly. However when I spoke with h&a models they indicated they're going to offer the swap themselves as they stock Alan Gibson wheels.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Please provide wheels and bearings by default a la Parkside. It is a right royal pain to source them separately

No no no no no, please don't.

Wheels are easy enough to source from the many manufacturers and retailers with an online presence, and at exhibitions where usually more than one trader has a selection.

Don't back everybody down an alleyway they may not wish to go down, unless of course you introduce with and without kits, but that gives you more of a problem.

Mike.

No no no no no, please don't.

Wheels are easy enough to source from the many manufacturers and retailers with an online presence, and at exhibitions where usually more than one trader has a selection.

Don't back everybody down an alleyway they may not wish to go down, unless of course you introduce with and without kits, but that gives you more of a problem.

Mike.

A matter of some perspective here. For those of us in the far off corners of the universe having to source bespoke (sorry) wheels or bearings each time you have the impulse to buy a couple of kits is a real nuisance and quite costly.

regards

• RMweb Gold

A matter of some perspective here. For those of us in the far off corners of the universe having to source bespoke (sorry) wheels or bearings each time you have the impulse to buy a couple of kits is a real nuisance and quite costly.

regards

But surely wherever you order a kit from carries wheels etc anyway.

My preference is no wheels, I can choose what to use.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

But surely wherever you order a kit from carries wheels etc anyway.

My preference is no wheels, I can choose what to use.

Completely agree, it’s a real nuseance having to pay extra for wheels you don’t want. Maybe consider stocking wheels and then people can add them to and order at source

Completely agree, it’s a real nuseance having to pay extra for wheels you don’t want. Maybe consider stocking wheels and then people can add them to and order at source

You beat me to it! I think that is the sensible compromise, or at the very least, recommend what wheels/axles to order from others, rather than just "xxmm" wheels - I have found that the slight differences (in axle lengths, type of bearing and pinpoint v rounded ends) between different manufacturers' wheelsets has caused me problems on past kits. Or ordering the wrong bearings, or forgetting to order any bearings at all!

You learn how to make the right choice as time and experience grow, but help with this for beginners and returners, can only encourage further purchases, rather than become discouraging.

• RMweb Gold

Cambrian's on-line shop offers a full selection of  Gibson wheels and bearings in OO, EM and P4 appropriate to their kits, so it's just a case of remembering to order them at the same time as any kits.

Look in the "4mm Accessories" section.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Cambrian's on-line shop offers a full selection of  Gibson wheels and bearings in OO, EM and P4 appropriate to their kits, so it's just a case of remembering to order them at the same time as any kits.

Look in the "4mm Accessories" section.

John

Thanks for pointing that out! I have almost always bought my kits at exhibitions in the past, so simply asked the chap serving, but this makes life much easier now I have to order from here. Is that a new feature? Or have I just completely missed it in the past?

Job done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for pointing that out! I have almost always bought my kits at exhibitions in the past, so simply asked the chap serving, but this makes life much easier now I have to order from here. Is that a new feature? Or have I just completely missed it in the past?

Job done.

AFAIK the previous owners did too, but not sure whose wheels they stocked.

John

I think that he was talking about putting them in the kits he supplies to other retailers rather than those sold from his own website.

In other words so that people that want complete kits can walk into shop XYZ and walk out with a complete kit like they can with Parkside, Ratio and Dapol. Many of whom don't sell things like wheels made by Gibson/Markits/etc.

The vast majority of which would be sold to 00 gauge modellers. It's a different market than the finescale one.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

regards

So when you do, say, a joinery job, you only buy enough screws for that job and never have spares?

Before you say it's alright for me, there aren't too many 4mm wheel stockists in Spain.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Before you say it's alright for me, there aren't too many 4mm wheel stockists in Spain.

Without going via the internet or attending the right exhibitions it's not that easy in the Peak District. Try finding somebody with the right size wheels for a Boplate E in stock. I got mine from the Alan Gibson stand at an exhibition.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

I'd prefer wheels included in the kit too. I bought a couple of Turbots and a Borail at the Longfield show last week. Couldn't find any wheels of the correct size / style at the show, so now have to source separately. Not the end of the world obviously just a minor faff.

Edited for predictive text smelling pistake

Edited by KDG

• RMweb Gold

Without going via the internet or attending the right exhibitions it's not that easy in the Peak District. Try finding somebody with the right size wheels for a Boplate E in stock. I got mine from the Alan Gibson stand at an exhibition.

Does he not do mail order via a phone call or the internet any more?

Mike.

I think including wheels with your kits is a good idea, especially as peco appear to have stopped distributing romford wheels to independent shops. A beginner could be put off by getting the kit, the only wheels stocked in the shop are the RTR spares, but their wagon wheels are bigger than the recommended 12mm.

In P4 AFAIK the only choice is Gibson so getting them swapped with the kit at a show is a no brainer.  Coopercraft stated in some packs that Gibson would swap the 00 wheels but not unsurprisingly they don't honour that!  Now I have a large box of unused 00 wheels

• RMweb Gold

Does he not do mail order via a phone call or the internet any more?

Mike.

Yes, you can still get mail order, but I usually attend a couple of shows a year where they are present so stock up then.

I'm not sure how good the website is these days, seems a bit chaotic but there is now a 2017 catalogue on now.

In P4 AFAIK the only choice is Gibson so getting them swapped with the kit at a show is a no brainer.  Coopercraft stated in some packs that Gibson would swap the 00 wheels but not unsurprisingly they don't honour that!  Now I have a large box of unused 00 wheels

No. Ultrascale are my wheel of choice at the moment, so I would not want Gibson's included.  That said, I agree with the above re beginners - difficult balance to be had. Supplying to the retail trade with wheels, while leaving them as an option when buying direct, would be one way - but would add a bit to supply chain management.

Exactoscale wheels are even better than Ultrascale, but not currently available new, though I believe this part of the C&L empire will have a future but it is yet to be seen.

• RMweb Gold

Many websites offer a drop-down of add-ons to be included or not - e.g. when buying a motor you can select which gearbox if any to include. So there could be options when ordering to come with wheels or not? Someone has already said you can order wheel from Cambrian separately - so it would need some changes to the webshop but would then cover both camps?

• Like 2