Modelling in 014 - now and the future?

Dava

More 014 wagons would be very welcome on the market Roger. WD 'D's, or the 4 wheel Hudson variants especially.

Unfortunately I can't offer to sell any gauges, but I do have a set of the KB scale roller gauges for the Kalgarin code 82 rail. If these would suit you I could certainly lend you them, feel free to pm me if interested.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great news about KBScale and Narrow Planet:

Just announced:

Narrow Planet is pleased to announce that we will shortly become the exclusive stockist of the KBscale O14 narrow gauge range (7mm:ft scale running on 14mm gauge track). KBscale proprietor David Janes has been working to restock the range following a busy period of family life, and has decided to partner with us for fulfilment to ensure a smooth supply.

It is anticipated that virtually the full range of locomotives, rolling stock and track parts will be available. All stock status enquiries should be made via Narrow Planet in the first instance, and an accurate stock level will be maintained on our website, www.narrowplanet.co.uk.

What is now the KBscale range was formerly marketed by Roy C Link, who researched and established track standards for accurate 2' gauge modelling in 7mm:ft scale. David has subsequently added his own products, with possible future developments to come.

Online sales are expected to begin around the end of August, and items will be also be available from our exhibition stand. Upcoming exhibitions this year include Uckfield MRC, Expo Narrow Gauge® in Swanley, and the Warley NEC show.

Get in touch by email at info@narrowplanet.co.uk, or write to us with a SAE for price list at:

Narrow Planet, PO Box 297, Bexhill-on-Sea, TN40 9HF, UK

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello All, 

I’ve recently been intrigued by O-14 from a BRM article in the August issue.  Did a lot of web surfing about the subject. It seem that KB Scale has a decent selection of O-14 stuff which I think is some of the Roy Link stuff mentioned. I’d love to give it a go and see what it’s like without breaking the bank. KB scale had a sampler set for £13 but says it’s sold out. I wonder if it would be available again.

Right now just giving thoughts about 2 foot narrow gauge in some sort of industrial setting.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve,

Suggest keeping an eye on the Narrowplanet catalog link for KBScale above as the range has just been reintroduced.

There is an 014 group which anyone can join - link here to organiser: o14+owner@groups.io

Dava

17 hours ago, SteveS said:

Hello All, 

I’ve recently been intrigued by O-14 from a BRM article in the August issue.  Did a lot of web surfing about the subject. It seem that KB Scale has a decent selection of O-14 stuff which I think is some of the Roy Link stuff mentioned. I’d love to give it a go and see what it’s like without breaking the bank. KB scale had a sampler set for £13 but says it’s sold out. I wonder if it would be available again.

Right now just giving thoughts about 2 foot narrow gauge in some sort of industrial setting.

Track Sample kits will be back in stock at the end of the week. They have been very popular.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I guess is a cheap way of finding out what 0-14 might look like.  Rail is ME code 83 superglued to what might pass as ties     (sleepers) . The truck is an HO scale truck where I re-guaged the wheel sets. All this gone with a micrometer and a scale rule.

Steve

0A5662A3-A20E-4FD3-828F-09AE63CC2A36.jpeg

1BF69B48-DB3D-455E-8946-7DF0C5190FEE.jpeg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Hello Dava,

I know your post is a little old, But I'm trying my hand at @ft narrow gauge. The points you made do you find them easier to build vs. the Ray Link industrial points. Ive been reading about the Ray Link points and they have a different way  of powering them etc...

Thanks

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hello Steve,

You mean Roy Link. Roy developed the standards and drew the plans for 014 about 30 years ago, you can find them here

https://www.kbscale.com/. See the downloads. Roy deserves our eternal thanks for this. Jig and gauge tools available again via NarrowPlanet. 

I built the Type 2 points [=37 foot radius] not the Type 1 [=13.25 foot radius] you may have seen, using the drawings, crossing jig and making my own simple sleeper holding jig. I used copperclad sleeper strip and Peco Il-1 rail. Otherwise the method is the same as Roy's. The switch rails were drilled in the rail web to allow a thin steel wire to be used to join the fixed and moving sections of rail and provide electrical continuity.

On Bunny Mine, the point control is via wire in tube from a 2- way sliding switch which switches the power polarity to the point. On one turnout this was obstructed by the route of a line descending into tunnel so this one is now switched by a length of square bamboo rod which is push-operated from the back and on the way operates a miniature slider switch to change polarity. Photos below should show a completed point, point control in this case with the old slider switch base at the top, and the back of the layout showing basic controls. This is all old-school low-tech like me. Hope it helps.

image.jpeg.71a3e9736f32be687e6a2228b8cd4dd6.jpeg

image.jpeg.19b9c401a03c928ffee637d0eb8c2094.jpeg

image.jpeg.cb86326b3033b23f5f112a6f2a71a791.jpeg

• Like 4

Dava, 

thanks for showing, I’ve ordered the roller gauges and jigs and rail bender.  Right now my cellar is in complete disarray due to some work that is being done down there.  That in itself is another story. Anyhow just playing around with the paper templates on some foamcore. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sadly Bunny Mine didnt make it to Narrow Gauge North, probably the last NG show for some time. I felt it necessray to self-isolate. Anyway the microlayout is set up in the workshop, here are two views with the new CKD loco from Locos'n'Stuff, full and empty trains in operation and running well.

Dava

20200321_171304.jpg.6be9fa73dfc0b283d37b2e61a05bd9fd.jpg

20200321_171115.jpg.62a3e6c1c968f4af58eb8b4f94539e49.jpg

• Like 7

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Dirk,

you may well be better able than me to tell the difference! It was one or the other. Runs brilliantly with as much lead as I could add. 

Dava

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

It’s been a long time since i added to this thread, a lot has happened in the non-014 world. Now narrow gauge and other events are starting to happen again.  Dapol promise 014-convertible Lyndon & Barnstaple locos. EDM Models are making 3D printed O14 track. Details/on Paul’s blog. So real progress here.

I am now planning to build the long-planned gypsum mill extension to Bunny Mine, surprisingly titled Bunny Mill. This will feature a continuous run so that gypsum trains run through the Mill area for unloading. There is a full-size track plan so I can make a start on the project and have something to show by the Spring. 

Bunny is of course a real (very old) place in Nottinghamshire and under Bunny Hill is (still) a real gypsum mine, formerly rail-served. The adit is seen below, now an access shaft to Marblaegis Mine.

image.jpeg.88752c42bc34b603a834155a24b1fedc.jpeg

The plan was always something like this, approx track shown in orange on OS map. 

image.jpeg.ad4c98ae631ab40c58dc04e9c5bb940e.jpeg

More next time,

Dava

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bunny  Mill

It was always the plan that Bunny Mine would have a second section including the Gypsum Mill. It has just taken around 4 years to get around to starting this,partly because of other projects and distractions.  I’ve been planning it but I tend to use sketches and models in the planning sage rather than software packages which I dont find adapt so readily to narrow gauge and any way prefer to spend modelling time off the computer.

So here is the working sketch for the Bunny Mill section, this was then expanded onto a full-size drawing on a 1000 x 600 table.The connection from the gate on Bunny Mine runs through the weigh shed at the front, then runs through a passing loop and siding, there will be an old bogie coach converted into a cafe here. Then past a greenhouse and round a curve under a pipe bridge into the mill area.

The mill will be in low relief with a loop for unloading and turning round trains. A siding springs off this into the mill yard with a single bladed point to another siding. There will be bagged gypsum products, and probably some disused locos and junk. The line completes a circuit through a works gate. It’s not intended as a tailchaser but the circuit will be an efficient way of running several trains through the mill.

EAFE8884-C78B-4C29-A140-2777480F3CDE.jpeg.720e3d5af4d819636aafa8411cf922c8.jpeg

Here is the full-size mockup with type 2 points located, curves planned (this was iterative as the curves are tight and affect point locations) and the mill location shown. This drawing also enables point control, wiring diagram and baseboard stiffeners to be planned on separate drawings. 

35E89CDC-7CCD-4107-AE1A-64662C3D4272.jpeg.5bc19b735cd42c5a47791a45851aee97.jpeg

I have been researching possible buildings to use for the mill. There is an ideal one beside the Grantham Canal at Kinoulton Rd, Cropwell Bishop. This was built as a gypsum mill and has been adapted in many ways over the years up to the present day in industrial use.  It will be the basis for the mill in low relief. 

A3C6118C-4E64-4CC5-B7A8-DB3D1D249A32.png.b5fa2f872e4383af336e93d9daa2f6ae.png

I have made a start by cutting the components for the first point. The track can be built in two phases, with the point work for the sidings and loop at the front first, and a plain circuit around the back through the mill, and the point work in the mill being added later.

Dava

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

And in the same spirit.....

Jubilee 1897 awaits the completion/building of a proper home to run on. I've built seven or eight locos with low voltage motors and lipo batteries that are radio controlled,  which is the intent for the layout. Obviously they can run anywhere else as well, having insulated wheels. A kit  for the body, and scratch-built chassis.

And this little Hunslet I didn't actually build. I bought it on Ebay, but it turned out the chassis was not good and didn't run, so I scrapped that and built a new one to 14mm gauge, and she became radio controlled at the same time. Both of these locos should run a full day at exhibition. 

0-14 Quarry Hunslet 'GWYNEDD'

Edited by Giles
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Dijon and Giles for these updates from Rhyd & two delightful quarry Hunslets.

Looking at the list of layouts for the 7mm NGA this Saturday in Burton, there are some fine layouts but, again, none in 014, which is where this thread and Bunny Mine came in a few years ago. I hope to visit during the day and am resuming planning for the envisaged Bunny Mill extension. Sadly the photos in the 14/11/21 post above have disappeared but here is a clue of what is planned. 

My modelling has been limited by ridiculous workloads, continuing wrist and medium vision problems. Only the first of these can be made better! Hope to make progress this summer. Will I build 8 turnouts or rethink the design? The rear section will be concealed in the mill, the spur at the front connects to Bunny Mine.

Dava

IMG_0509.jpeg.9cca3794a9f081a65c3843a500d87066.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I will just add a little bit of background about Bunny Mine for anyone new to this thread, as all the photos prior to 2022 were eaten by the great RmWorm attack.

Bunny, like nearby Gotham, is a real place and part of the continuing history of the Nottinghamshire gypsum mining industry. Bunny has a mine adit, the former Silver Seal mine on which the microlayout is based, nestling under the scarp slope of Bunny Old Hill. The steep sided cutting and woodland have yielded gypsum fragments and moss which have been used, as is my wont, in the scenic treatment of the layout.

The layout is pictured below, it is just 40x12 inches plus a shunting stick and display boards at shows.  It is powered by Ruston locos [some supplied by the real Mr Ruston], O&K and others. Mine cars by KB Scale, turnouts and track handbuilt. There has always been a plan to connect with the Mill, again a real if lost place, using a circular track for efficiency. A lot of information and materials have been gathered for this.

It is not all serious, as at Easter the mine is taken over by bunnies and chicks retrieving wagonloads of chocolate eggs from the adit. there is also a working bunny burrow in the first picture, along with fox and badger.

IMG_0518.jpeg.fbd9a81cc4847f3faf6eff56bd633c68.jpeg

image.jpeg.552f180364f6f7240415f280ef19f8fe.jpeg

The layout has been exhibited several times since 2018, twice at the 7mm NGA at Burton, at the Mickleover Trent Valley Group, and other local events, even at Rushcliffe Halt last year [static due to wet weather].

One excuse for the slow progress of the extension, apart from the workshop periodically accommodating GCR reunification display models for attention, is the incursion of US shortline models as a competing attraction, wanting their own running line. An example of this sort of thing is in the final picture. 

image.jpeg.cbc21931f37c4149fa624ed89c46cd08.jpeg

Dava

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A new loco kit is in development that will have a 14mm option

EDMEarlOfMerionethDrive.jpg.63ce039d44a544f6bb873d13496ea076.jpg

The model being developed is Earl of Merionet aka The Square but a lot of the initial work is concentrating on the cradle and drive to make it a sound platform for many Fairlies

EDMEarlofMerioneth16-514mmguageBogies.jpg.1f8e23f4e10423b94a0296c4143761cd.jpg

Above are a 16.5mm and 14mm gauge bogie.  This is achieved by having a double flanged bearing with a thick and a thin flange.

As the design develops it may be neccessary to have some other components specific to the gauges. Definatley the brake gear but it might also end up with different cylinder blocks

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1