Jump to content

Trainspotting at Little Benton Sidings, Newcastle.


Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

nothing really wrong with older models if you are prepared to do a little work on them.  I've just converted an elderly Lima cl20 to EM with sound and my next project, when I get around to it, will be to convert a triang cl31, dating back to the late 60's, to EM and dcc.  They are not finescale, and I am in awe of those that model such, but are pefect 'layout' locos and fit in with my philosphy of EM on the cheap!

 

Roja

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a couple of my old locos. The N7 is the original Wills version with Belpaire firebox, running on a Triang Jinty chassis with X04 motor. I did fit Romfords but that was all - no brakes or anything else. it is reasonably prototypical on my ex-NER rake, as lots of coaches were transferred to the GE.

The J17 is a BEC kit, and I think it was the second I built, in 1973.  it originally sat on a Triang chassis, However, at one time Fenwicks in Newcastle had a Hornby franchise, and you could get some real bargains. I was picking up Hornby Gresleys for £20 and fitting Comet etc etched sides hand over fist. I picked up a couple of SDJR Jinties for £18 each, hoping to convert one to a J73, but this never happened, so stuck the BEC body over one of the chassis, as seen here. It completes my pseudo GE scene,

IMG_20201124_145704.jpg.9ea2148eb188c51043d9ec095097fe59.jpg

 

The Railbus is an Airfix plastic kit on a scratch chassis - just 2 bits of brass soldered together and a DS10 fitted, I built it in the late 70's and I can't remember the last time it ran. It has lost a couple of windows, and I confess I was astonished when, after oiling, off it went, albeit noisily. Goodness knows when it will be out again.

IMG_20201124_150354.jpg.550e580e0180121962fd6ef1611c6054.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rowanj said:

Here are a couple of my old locos. The N7 is the original Wills version with Belpaire firebox, running on a Triang Jinty chassis with X04 motor. I did fit Romfords but that was all - no brakes or anything else. it is reasonably prototypical on my ex-NER rake, as lots of coaches were transferred to the GE.

The J17 is a BEC kit, and I think it was the second I built, in 1973.  it originally sat on a Triang chassis, However, at one time Fenwicks in Newcastle had a Hornby franchise, and you could get some real bargains. I was picking up Hornby Gresleys for £20 and fitting Comet etc etched sides hand over fist. I picked up a couple of SDJR Jinties for £18 each, hoping to convert one to a J73, but this never happened, so stuck the BEC body over one of the chassis, as seen here. It completes my pseudo GE scene,

IMG_20201124_145704.jpg.9ea2148eb188c51043d9ec095097fe59.jpg

 

The Railbus is an Airfix plastic kit on a scratch chassis - just 2 bits of brass soldered together and a DS10 fitted, I built it in the late 70's and I can't remember the last time it ran. It has lost a couple of windows, and I confess I was astonished when, after oiling, off it went, albeit noisily. Goodness knows when it will be out again.

IMG_20201124_150354.jpg.550e580e0180121962fd6ef1611c6054.jpg

Great to see you breaking these old locos out.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy building and running the G5 and D20's of this world, and seeing them on local passengers. By the time I was spotting,, however, DMU's had taken over all those turns. The 101 is bog-standard Bachmann, and really should be at least a 3-car, (and preferably 4) set, but I havent found a suitable source ,  The ex-LNER North Tyneside EMU Parcels is a Dave Alexander kit. 

IMG_20201203_141106.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rowanj said:

I really enjoy building and running the G5 and D20's of this world, and seeing them on local passengers. By the time I was spotting,, however, DMU's had taken over all those turns. The 101 is bog-standard Bachmann, and really should be at least a 3-car, (and preferably 4) set, but I havent found a suitable source ,  The ex-LNER North Tyneside EMU Parcels is a Dave Alexander kit. 

 

 

It's great to find another North Eastern Region layout on here and, unlike mine, a model of a real place - great work.  Space limitations prevented me doing likewise so mine is a fictional location.  I also have too many GER/GCR locos but am loathe to dispose of them.  Anyway Rule 1 applies until such time as I build a more appropriate layout :jester:.

I have no qualms of employing the former Lima now Hornby 3 car class 101s on my layout.  I chop off the aweful couplings and add pipework to the end buffer beams, close couple the intermediate car to its driving car neighbours and add (black paper) corridor/gangway connectors -see below.

IMG_20200406_184317.jpg.830d89a59d8ceddd66b46b3856214535.jpg

IMG_20200406_184307.jpg.9d978b3ca9785342beb5cf76faeaa6ea.jpg

 

People say there is a lot wrong with them but the upgraded Hornby mechanism is quite smooth, they can be acquired quite cheaply and from normal viewing distances I think they look fine - see pic below.

 

317801991_Arrivinganddeparting...JPG.fceca2340ce80a839dc8ecb8ac95b5f9.JPG

 

It sounds like we are of similar ages, my train spotting youth was spent mainly in Essex but sometimes in Easington, Co Durham where these green diesels ruled the roost, not only in my part of Essex but also on the Durham Coast Line on the Newcastle - Middlesbrough services.  Strange that I hated dmus at the time but I think they look great now on my layout.

 

Fantastic looking layout (now following) and apologies for the intrusion.

 

Regards,

Brian.

 

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the post, Brian. Intrude away. The Hornby 101,s look fine and Ill keep an eye out for them. The only set currently on EBay is going for £129. 

Just to repay the compliment, your layout thread too is well worth a visit.

John.

Edited by rowanj
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The layout has reverted to its' natural NE habitat, as the G5 takes the ancient rake of ex-NER stock, probably a workman's special, to Newcastle. 

 

The Hornby 110 is a recent purchase. The class occasionally got to Newcastle from York, but my intention/hope is to convert it to a 4 -car set ( I know, I need another car) Class 104 which was far more common.  This conversion has been done a good few times over the years, and seems to need either a  modicum of work to make a "layout" loco representation, or a fair bit of work to get a more accurate one. The intention is to pick up another 3 car set and eventually have a 4-car and 2-car set, both of which are appropriate to Little Benton and hopefully can be run in tandem

 

IMG_20201211_165820.jpg

IMG_20201211_170013.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, rowanj said:

The layout has reverted to its' natural NE habitat, as the G5 takes the ancient rake of ex-NER stock, probably a workman's special, to Newcastle. 

 

The Hornby 110 is a recent purchase. The class occasionally got to Newcastle from York, but my intention/hope is to convert it to a 4 -car set ( I know, I need another car) Class 104 which was far more common.  This conversion has been done a good few times over the years, and seems to need either a  modicum of work to make a "layout" loco representation, or a fair bit of work to get a more accurate one. The intention is to pick up another 3 car set and eventually have a 4-car and 2-car set, both of which are appropriate to Little Benton and hopefully can be run in tandem

 

IMG_20201211_165820.jpg

IMG_20201211_170013.jpg

 

The Class 110 pic prompted me to dig out my own set purchased way back in 2005 and never run on Deneside and probably not run much at all in the last ten years.  First application of the controller brought no response at all but a shove improved matters and a wheel clean and a few running in trips back and forth brought about acceptable smooth and responsive running, see below.

 

IMG_20201212_163449.jpg.f389cf21307e067673ff2a5e68b6831f.jpg

IMG_20201212_163338.jpg.305d9e7b5fbb01125ffbd22a8f985e82.jpg

 

I had already cut off the big couplings but the bare buffer beams need loads of pipework fitted and I need to close couple and add paper corridor connectors.  Thanks for inspiring me to look again at the 110.

 

Regards,

Brian.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to Clive Mortimore, I have been pointed in the right direction to get the 110 to a 104, so here it is on test after the heavy work has been done, The brake has been removed from the Motor Open Brake 2nd (DMBS), and "swapped" with the 1st Class part of what was the Trailer Comp (TCL). The photo shows the result. As Clive suggested, I moved the Ringfield motor and the bogie with pickups into the TBSL just to add a bit of concealment.

I have a couple of Silver Fox 104 cab fronts on order, which will complete the job sufficiently to make it clear what type of DMU this is. I hope to be able to get away with merely adding the top/destination box ,reducing the need to do a repaint.

I hate the interiors, and may have a go at them, and I'll add some pipework to the buffers.

IMG_20201216_162743.jpg.0997ab18f99fc5779e961e4d40cce808.jpg

IMG_20201216_162719.jpg.9f3ca539f48ff83b0d339f0f777365cb.jpg

In the opposite direction, A2 Hornets Beauty heads for Edinburgh on a relief to The Heart of Midlothian. The loco is DJH on an SEF chassis, which I built to replace the DJH one which I had cocked up.

IMG_20201216_162813.jpg.a0220cd0bba18626def44d7f18aecc40.jpg

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rowanj said:

Thanks to Clive Mortimore, I have been pointed in the right direction to get the 110 to a 104, so here it is on test after the heavy work has been done, The brake has been removed from the Motor Open Brake 2nd (DMBS), and "swapped" with the 1st Class part of what was the Trailer Comp (TCL). The photo shows the result. As Clive suggested, I moved the Ringfield motor and the bogie with pickups into the TBSL just to add a bit of concealment.

I have a couple of Silver Fox 104 cab fronts on order, which will complete the job sufficiently to make it clear what type of DMU this is. I hope to be able to get away with merely adding the top/destination box ,reducing the need to do a repaint.

I hate the interiors, and may have a go at them, and I'll add some pipework to the buffers.

IMG_20201216_162743.jpg.0997ab18f99fc5779e961e4d40cce808.jpg

IMG_20201216_162719.jpg.9f3ca539f48ff83b0d339f0f777365cb.jpg

In the opposite direction, A2 Hornets Beauty heads for Edinburgh on a relief to The Heart of Midlothian. The loco is DJH on an SEF chassis, which I built to replace the DJH one which I had cocked up.

IMG_20201216_162813.jpg.a0220cd0bba18626def44d7f18aecc40.jpg

Do you email Silver Fox for those cab fronts?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Class 104 heads for Newcastle on a SO Alnwick turn, DMU's having taken over from the last D20's which were based at Alnmouth for these workings. DMU's on Newcastle trains were the only scheduled diesels on services between Alnwick and Alnmouth, with the shuttle service between the two on the 5-mile branch to the ECML steam -hauled until the end. I only went once as a young lad to Alnwick Station, and was disappointed to see only a DMU in the platforms. Now, the station is the home of the fabulous Barter Books, and I visit it regularly- or at least I did until this year!

 

IMG_20201219_120438.jpg.335a4d6b080baf16c7ddcca37b0e3b64.jpg

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyneside saw a few K3's, normally on fitted freights to Edinburgh. After Heaton's B16's moved to Yorkshire, K3 and V2's were the stock in trade on these turns. I never saw, nor have seen a photo  of a K3 on a passenger turn, as was often the case down South.

I probably have too many of the class, but picked up this kit for £80, including chassis, wheels, motor and mount. It is the latest SEF version, and I built it more or less out of the box. 61984 was at Heaton and Tweedmouth, so would have been a regular sight at Little Benton, However, for the plastic trainspotters, this is a "cop", as the loco is on its' first run on the layout. It runs light past the sidings before reversing, for testing purposes on my most complex trackwork, such as it is, and picks up a short freight before heading for Heaton Yard.

IMG_20201220_095731_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20201220_100055.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/12/2020 at 10:27, rowanj said:

Tyneside saw a few K3's, normally on fitted freights to Edinburgh. After Heaton's B16's moved to Yorkshire, K3 and V2's were the stock in trade on these turns. I never saw, nor have seen a photo  of a K3 on a passenger turn, as was often the case down South.

I probably have too many of the class, but picked up this kit for £80, including chassis, wheels, motor and mount. It is the latest SEF version, and I built it more or less out of the box. 61984 was at Heaton and Tweedmouth, so would have been a regular sight at Little Benton, However, for the plastic trainspotters, this is a "cop", as the loco is on its' first run on the layout. It runs light past the sidings before reversing, for testing purposes on my most complex trackwork, such as it is, and picks up a short freight before heading for Heaton Yard.

IMG_20201220_095731_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20201220_100055.jpg

I have to ask.
Is the bogie well wagon a Hornby Dublo example?
I really hope it is!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I have to ask.
Is the bogie well wagon a Hornby Dublo example?
I really hope it is!

No, it,s Bachmann. It doesn't get out too much. It is just as it came out of the box, when Modelzone were at good source of sale stock in their Newcastle shop...now long gone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The basically complete 104 heads for Alnwick - at least that's what the destination boards says- though it may be taking the long way round from Central to South Gosforth Car Sheds, - 52J.  Over the coming months, I'll do more to the interior and add some weathering, especially to the underframe. 

 

Best wishes for Xmas and 2021 

 

IMG_20201224_110434.jpg

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

These are a couple of my locos that I'm pretty fond of - both LRM kits. The J25 is actually my favourite, but it was a bit "light-footed" so I added a bit more lead, and tackled a couple of the vans which were a bit stiff around the wheels.

So the N8, (which for some reason were fully lined out by BR), heads the meat and fish empties to Morpeth where they will be added to trains to Amble, Alnmouth and Chathill for local marts, or sent on to Tweedmouth.

 

The J25 has the ballast train, still a work in progress with a Catfish sitting unstarted on the workbench. Alongside that is another LRM N8/9, which I'll build as the last N9 withdrawn in 1955 from Tyne Dock. From the same Santa pile came a High Level kit of a RSH Industrial 0-6-0 ST, which will become NCB No 46 , I must have seen it a thousand times when I lived in Wallsend and walked past the Rising Sun Colliery on my way to "spot" at Little Benton.

IMG_20201228_154139.jpg

IMG_20201228_154308.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pair of original Wills Finecast kits running on Comet Chassis, and today finds them passing Little Benton South. Unfortunately for the spotters, they are "common as muck" Gateshead locos which would have been seen many times. The little so-and-so's", of which I was one, don't know how lucky they are to see sights like this. 

Bittern has an Edinburgh-Kings X, which it will come off at Newcastle, and probably hand over to a 34A A4. The Tetrarch may be on a semi-fast, with stops at Morpeth, Alnmouth, Berwick and Dunbar before getting to Waverley.

I have too many locos, and a small purge of RTR A1's, A3's and A4's may be on the cards to be replaced by a couple more kits.

IMG_20210101_152731.jpg

IMG_20210101_152756.jpg

IMG_20210101_152855.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The 4MT is another loco which doesn't get out much, though 42085 is actually OK for Little Benton, up to a point. It spent most of its' life on the NER, though mainly around Darlington. However it did have a brief spell at Heaton where it worked the Newbiggin trains. Here, given the preponderance of 1st Class accommodation, it seems to be on a Special, possibly a Company trip from the Rowntrees Factory at Fawdon to the coast, or perhaps inland up the Wansbeck Branch to Rothbury. The leading coach is an Isinglass resin kit, and the rest of the ill-matched stock a combination of Hornby and modified Kirk. There is an Isinglass Pigeon Van at the back, so it may be a "posh" pigeon fanciers club trip. All rubbish of course- I just need to organise my rakes better.

IMG_20210107_091218.jpg.07916e4a1eb61ad561af00bd64da7db9.jpg

The K3, an SEF kit, is back on test, after I discovered that, despite running well "light engine", it wouldnt actually pull a train. I replaced the whitemetal tender with a Bachmann top, modified GBL outside frames, and checked that all wheels on the etched sub- chassis ran freely. It still didn't work, so I had to admit that the problem must be that the small Mashima motor just didn't have enough beef. I replaced it with a Taff Vale 1227, and all is now well. I'll keep the tender, so need to get the lining transfers back out, and, at some point, I'll put a new sub-chassis under the SEF tender body, I still live and learn from what was a pretty elementary error in using too small a motor

IMG_20210107_091233.jpg.922584f5ae32aa2b4743d9a3c6c3d716.jpg

 

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The SEF K3 is now fit for duty, and has an all-stations Berwick-Newcastle including a highly unlikely Buffet. The loco will now manage any rake I have, so that was the aim of the re-motoring,

Though there are plenty of photos of this class on passenger duties, but I havent seen any in the North East, though I dare say they exist. Most K3's were used on fitted freights between Tyneside and Edinburgh, and I suppose there were enough B1's, V2.s and Pacifics between Gateshead/Heaton, Tweedmouth and St Margarets/Haymarket to handle passenger turns.

 

Heading north, a J73 takes a short rake the long way round to the wagon works at Howdon-on-Tyne, on the North Tyneside loop. The spotters will like this, as the J73 is a long way from home in Hartlepool - it must have been into works at Gateshead and is running in. Actually, the coaches may be heading for scrapping at Hughes Bolckow at North Blyth. This firm scrapped lots of stuff, from A4's to North Tyneside EMU's. The rake consists of Kirk kits, while I decide which, if any, are worth renovating, hence their first trip out in years. The loco is one of ArthurK's North Eastern kits.

IMG_20210110_145744.jpg

IMG_20210110_150511.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

It's becoming almost impossible to show anything original on this layout, so I'm not sure how to go forward,  but in the meantime, here are a couple of shots looking South. 

Sunderland had a couple of N5's for a short time in 1957/8, before they were sent to New England to see out their days. I doubt they ever got to Newcastle, but in my Universe, my loco has taken a short rake for storage in the sidings. Judging by the 104 passing on the main line, the rake is not too far from withdrawal, having lost it's role on Alnwick and Berwick stoppers.

IMG_20210118_182848.jpg

IMG_20210118_184242.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

This rake has been sitting boxed for ages, so I thought I'd see what it looked like and how it ran. I have 5 of the TCV's and by the time a couple of Mk1's are added, it is a too-short but half-decent rake. The Up train has a Haymarket A2 in charge -60535 is a DJH kit on an SEF chassis, after I mucked up the original one.

IMG_20210119_163418.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian- The B16/3 looks great, particularly given the source of it. Feel free to put a description of the parts used here if you wish. Is it the photo, or do you still need a whistle?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.