Trainspotting at Little Benton Sidings, Newcastle.

G'day Folks

Truth is sometime stranger than fiction, back in the early 50's, a Pacific got into trouble near Hitchin and had to come off it's train, the only engine available was a veteran J1 0-6-0, it was hooked on and dragged the 14 coaches into Kings Cross !

manna

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

Things are more or less back to normal. 60033 Seagull is on The Elizabethan, and an Alnmouth D20 has the Alnwick-Newcastle. Both locos are entirely prototypical, but as usual on my layout, there are timescale anomalies.  The Elizabethan stock is OK as far as it goes, but with Seagull in this condition, with a late crest, there should be more MK1's than the pure Thompson stock in my rake. The D20 62396, also has a late crest, which it actually did have  at the end in 1957, but the stock had gone by 1951. C'est la vie.

33 is a GBL Mallard, with a GBL Scotsman tender, cut at the rear as was done for the 1948 Loco Exchanges. It is far too scruffy for The Lizzie, really. The D20 is from DJH with a Dave Alexander tender.

IMG_20210318_154927.jpg

IMG_20210318_160037.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 8
Posted (edited)

Tyne Dock locos did get to Little Benton, though not as often as my photos might suggest- and 2 at once is really pushing it The Q7 and O1's were largely displaced by the 9F's on the Consett trains, and were used on regular freight trips, normally south of The Tyne. 

Both these are thanks to the late Dave Alexander. The Q7 is one of his kits, and the Hornby O1 has his "Tyne Dock Accessory Pack" fitted and the loco re-numbered. Dave is a miss, partly for his kits - he was planning a North Tyneside EMU set before he became poorly- but rather for himself...he was a lovely guy.

IMG_20210324_160250.jpg

IMG_20210324_160404.jpg

IMG_20210324_160428.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1
4 hours ago, rowanj said:

Tyne Dock locos did get to Little Benton, though not as often as my photos might suggest- and 2 at once is really pushing it The Q7 and O1's were largely displaced by the 9F's on the Consett trains, and were used on regular freight trips, normally south of The Tyne. 

Both these are thanks to the late Dave Alexander. The Q7 is one of his kits, and the Hornby O1 has his "Tyne Dock Accessory Pack" fitted and the loco re-numbered. Dave is a miss, partly for his kits - he was planning a North Tyneside EMU set before he became poorly- but rather for himself...he was a lovely guy.

IMG_20210324_160250.jpg

IMG_20210324_160404.jpg

IMG_20210324_160428.jpg

I totally agree with your opinion of Dave Alexander.
I'm running his tender kits behind Hornby 9Fs.
He was a complete gentleman.
Chris.

• Agree 1
43 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

I totally agree with your opinion of Dave Alexander.
I'm running his tender kits behind Hornby 9Fs.
He was a complete gentleman.
Chris.

Dave only lived 5 minutes drive away from me. I used to see him at all the shows, and I also remember him, (though he didnt remember me), from when he ran a model shop in  South Shields, His was a great business, as he sold not just complete kits but also tenders, spares, motors and wheels. I still have a couple of smokebox doors, whistles and the like in the spares box. I could phone him with an order, then nip to the ATM and pop down for a cup of tea and a chat to collect it. It was sad to see his health decline in the last couple of years, and COVID meant I didnt get to the funeral. 

I hear the odd rumour about his moulds being taken over, and hope that it can happen - Dave Ellis, for example, would be a great one to take forward his legacy, as no doubt would others.

• Like 1

There were no exchange sidings at Little Benton, so these photos are no more accurate than were the ones on The Elizabethan. But there is no point in building a kit if you dont run it, so the Kitson has a short rake of hoppers which it has taken out of the sidings, Perversely, this loco runs superbly,. It still needs dummy couplings, glazing and transfers, and really could do with crew hanging on at the cab doors.

IMG_20210326_081717.jpg

IMG_20210326_081734.jpg

IMG_20210326_082054.jpg

IMG_20210326_082124.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1
2 hours ago, rowanj said:

There were no exchange sidings at Little Benton, so these photos are no more accurate than were the ones on The Elizabethan. But there is no point in building a kit if you dont run it, so the Kitson has a short rake of hoppers which it has taken out of the sidings, Perversely, this loco runs superbly,. It still needs dummy couplings, glazing and transfers, and really could do with crew hanging on at the cab doors.

IMG_20210326_081717.jpg

IMG_20210326_081734.jpg

IMG_20210326_082054.jpg

IMG_20210326_082124.jpg

Lovely job, my friend.
I have to resist buying this kit. I'm waiting for Mike to produce the Dorman Long Sentinels.
I, also, have a Hardy's MW 0-4-0 to build.
Any chance of some more EMU action, please.
Regards,
Chris.

4 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

Lovely job, my friend.
I have to resist buying this kit. I'm waiting for Mike to produce the Dorman Long Sentinels.
I, also, have a Hardy's MW 0-4-0 to build.
Any chance of some more EMU action, please.
Regards,
Chris.

Thanks Chris.

The kit is just what I like at this stage of my modelling. The design is excellent, all parts fit well, and getting the chassis to run without cursing and swearing is easy. It also involves some research and problem solving, as some parts are not supplied - notably the injectors, which nobody seems to make, so some adaptation is needed of what is around to get a representation. No two locos looked the same by the end , and probably were altered several times. In my case, I needed to scratch-build the front steps, the tank balance pipes, and the cab ventilator. The sandboxes were taller than those supplied, so they too were scratch -built, using only the top and bottom from Mike's resin casting.  I have also had the pleasure of making contact with Steve at Railtec to obtain appropriate transfers for number 46.

I'm afraid my only EMU is Dave's Parcels van. I'd love a 4-car North Tyneside set, but the only source I have found recently was a pricey set of bodies on Shapeways, and that was only for the body shells. I'd need to find all the bogie and underframe details. Maybe, one of these days. No doubt Clive could knock something up via cut and shut? Fancy a go, Clive.

• Like 1

Railtec provided the transfers  - they are now available as customised set, and are excellent. This is the first time I have used them, and the service was excellent - I will be back.

Here is the completed No 46. I need a short rake for the loco and have a couple of Cambrian 7-plank kits to build, and I think Slaters do an ex-NER wagon, so 46 will get a short train in NCB Red at some point. Though the loco shouldn't really be seen at Little Benton, it is too nice to resist getting the odd run out,

There is a brief build description on my other thread.IMG_20210328_120340.jpg.117efd8760705ec9b85dad3c0358af44.jpg

IMG_20210328_120602.jpg

• Like 4
On 26/03/2021 at 12:49, rowanj said:

Thanks Chris.

The kit is just what I like at this stage of my modelling. The design is excellent, all parts fit well, and getting the chassis to run without cursing and swearing is easy. It also involves some research and problem solving, as some parts are not supplied - notably the injectors, which nobody seems to make, so some adaptation is needed of what is around to get a representation. No two locos looked the same by the end , and probably were altered several times. In my case, I needed to scratch-build the front steps, the tank balance pipes, and the cab ventilator. The sandboxes were taller than those supplied, so they too were scratch -built, using only the top and bottom from Mike's resin casting.  I have also had the pleasure of making contact with Steve at Railtec to obtain appropriate transfers for number 46.

I'm afraid my only EMU is Dave's Parcels van. I'd love a 4-car North Tyneside set, but the only source I have found recently was a pricey set of bodies on Shapeways, and that was only for the body shells. I'd need to find all the bogie and underframe details. Maybe, one of these days. No doubt Clive could knock something up via cut and shut? Fancy a go, Clive.

Hi John

They are on my hit list of stuff I would like to make. The steel bodied Gresley articulated BSK-SK and the Tourist open twin are being made partly for my use on my layout and partly as an experiment for having a bash at the North Tyneside stock.

003a.jpg.ec6b00817aae0652ec91272c9c8ed723.jpg

005a.jpg.6c2979f61b39122928ee5069d9217c09.jpg

• Like 5

Boring RTR today, I'm afraid. These are just Hornby's A2/2 and A2/3 and I've done nothing to them other than fit some of the extras from the packs. I have a DJH A2/2 and A2/3 and another pair- 60503 and 60517, adapted from various Hornby locos and Graeme King resin parts. 

IMG_20210331_190008.jpg.7e3cb9c8e83fd7dd776ec38c31aa1f7e.jpg

I always felt slightly uncomfortable running the Derby Lightweight as a mere 2-car set, believing it should have been longer, However Middleton Press' Alnmouth to Berwick has a photo of just such a train at Beal (for Holy Island) heading south. Presumably it was on a Berwick-Newcastle service but can't have been expecting many passengers from the several stations it would call at en-route,

IMG_20210331_191220.jpg.139626899eed46ac2288e744c0792ce9.jpg

43136 was one of the first Ivatt 4MT's to be allocated on Tyneside, and they were reasonably rare birds until the late 60's , when they supplemented  K1's alongside J27's on Northumberland coal traffic. The "Pigeon Van" is from Isinglass. The loco will head to Benton Quarry Junction , just beyond the bridge, then reverse into the sidings, The van is earmarked for crew on the ballast rake, currently hiding in the Little Benton North  headshunt.

IMG_20210331_191532.jpg.6d68f612f445f0186e7330662cd277e9.jpg

• Like 8

Back to kits, and locos appropriate to Little Benton- albeit scarce enough to keep the spotters interested. The J77 is a North Eastern Kits Darlington/Worsdell version, and was my first North Eastern Kit. The rake is Cambrian/ Parkside/Isinglass and I really only built it as something to do during Lockdown, It should have been easy, but I actually find getting the Catfish and Dogfish chassis's square quite tricky.

IMG_20210402_184638.jpg.b62c0ce546794e479a8b4dbeb6b449ad.jpg

The J72 is a cut and shut Mainline on a Mainly Trains chassis, and represents one of the first batch with a short bunker.I'm quite attached to it, though it's pretty crude by modern standards. The rake is off to works - the Kirk coch will be updated with Comet/MJT parts, the Parkside van is being sent back to take its' place in the "Meat n'Fish" extra which ran from Tweedmouth to Tyneside, and the brake van is, if I remember correctly, a modified Bachmann body on a Dapol chassis.

IMG_20210402_184602.jpg.3b0ede26b369b4ec238b41f3a84c0316.jpg

• Like 5

Hello John , speaking of  LNER suburban coaches, took one of my Hornby Thompson batch out of the stock drawer. It is a lovely model, as I examined it though the window glazing had a milky film to it. The adhesive used by the factory had caused the reaction I’m sorry to say. The flush glazing together with the little first class and smoking stickers now removed. The window apertures are not too thick but the replacement glazing won’t be flush...a blinking shame and a lesson to check new purchases thoroughly. Glazing now replaced  !

Edited by 46256
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The Kitson Consett A now has a short rake of Internal User wagons to play with, and a couple of Slaters ex NER hoppers will complete it.  The red livery was common on the Northumberland Coalfield, and I used BR Crimson, on the basis that I already had a can, and it was reasonably close to some of the photos I have. 

IMG_20210408_164248.jpg

• Like 7

Nice to see a bit of midland red on your layout John....please don’t reply you know what a sensitive soul I am. It is a nice looking and very distinctive train John well done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1