Hugh Longworth's book on pre-Nationalisation coaching stock

Peter Kazmierczak

Hi guys

I was told early last year they were aiming to get it out at Warley (last December), so maybe it is aiming for Warley this year.

Warley, Warley - say no more. Errr… what happens at Warley?

I've previously noted that combining railways can serve no masters rather than the proverbial bad two. So CLC stock is (logically) in the LMS book but most of it came from the GC, GN and then LNER... and where is the former M&GN stock that was part-Midland/LMS listed? I admit that there is no simple way to address these anomalies but there must be a better way than the planned two volumes.

Book Depository (owned by Amazon) has it slated for publication on 1 September 2018 here: https://www.bookdepository.com/British-Railways-GWR-LNER-Pre-Nationalisation-Coaching-Stock-Hugh-Longworth/9780860936756?ref=grid-view&qid=1532381818734&sr=1-3

Mal

Edit to add that Crecy Publishing give publication as 28 September 2018

Edited by Purley Oaks

• 1 month later...

Crecy now says October 31 http://www.crecy.co.uk/british-railways-pre-nationalisation-coaching-stock

If the previous comments in the thread are correct that Crecy doesn't sell to Amazon that it may be safe to guess that means they don't sell to the Book Depository either.

Doesn't appear to be true as Dave Larkins' and Peter Tatlows' books are listed on Amazon, and discounted

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I'm just letting you know that the book is with the publishers (Crecy), and it will hopefully be available within a few months.  And volume 2 will follow to complete the subject.

It is very similar to by BR Mark 1 & Mark 2 book (and also my EMU and DMU books).  It is a massive subject and when I started I had a vague idea it might be one volume.  I've been searching through archives and making a lot of contacts, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of information that is there when you start digging.

It will include all carriage stock (including NPCS) that was inherited by British Railways (from the Big Four and pre-grouping companies), as well as stock built by BR to pre-nationalisation designs.  I'm sure it will fill a gap.

I've been amazed to find the wide variety of stock that BR acquired, including 4 wheel and six wheeled stock, with some dating back to the 1890s.

Just to whet your appetite, this first volume contains 1168 diagrams and 9876 vehicles in the LNER section and 624 diagrams and 9876 vehicles in the GWR section.

I hope you enjoy it. Volume 2 should follow on in 6-9 months DV.

Hugh Longworth

Sounds like a useful book if you model British Railways.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a useful book if you model British Railways.

Drawing attention to the older stock running in the 1950s might just encourage the manufacturers to cast their net wider - as they've already started to do in the case of the Southern Region. Vide the inclusion of generic pre-group carriage categories in this year's Wishlist Poll. As we know, pre-grouping is interesting if it made it to the 50s...

• Like 1

I don't know where this idea that Crecy books aren't on Amazon comes from.   :scratchhead: 

I've bought loads of Crecy books from Amazon and other online retailers.

The author even has a dedicated page on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hugh-Longworth/e/B0034Q0XLS/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1540381061&sr=1-2-ent

Could people be mistaking them for another publisher such as Lightmoor/Black Dwarf who don't supply to discount booksellers?

Jason

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up my copy from Book Law through at the NEC on sunday.

Fantastic book and a perfect companion to the rest of the set which has already been released.

Jamie

Sorry - but just to be absolutely clear are you stating that both the LNER + GWR AND the LMS + SR volumes have been published and are on sale?

I bought Vol 1 from James Hudson at Warley yesterday, having been led not to expect it any time soon.  One thing I noticed is that it contains the most complete list I know of the allocations of close-coupled GW B sets.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Sorry just the GWR and LNER at the moment. I believe I’ve got a Crecy catalogue at home which has the due date of the other book.

When I get home I’ll edit the post with the correct date.

Volume 1 is now available on Amazon.  Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Volume 2 is complete and with the publishers (Crecy).  It is due for publication in February.

Hugh

I have to say that Volume 1 is the most fantastic reference book. I for one don't mind having to purchase all the LNER information when all I really wanted was the GWR.

However having purchased the book I am now certainly anticipating the LMS and SR volume.

Thank you Hugh for all the work you have put into this and your previous volumes.

Edited by 89A