Hessle Haven

mikemeg

• RMweb Gold

Also interesting just how much clutter is laid around on the permanent way.

Looking at the point rodding bottom left it looks brand new, the 'clutter' looks like the old round stuff cut up. Mick N. might be able to confirm this.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Mikemeg saying Hessle Haven signal box had fifty levers reminded me of teh big boxes around Mirfield out in the Golden West.

One such box on the Mirfield to Huddersfield line was close to my cousin's house and every time I passed there seemed to be 3 or four men in it.

It only occurred to me recently that to ensure safety 24/7 that box would have need a rota of perhaps 10-12 men?

The town,s railways shed, coaling tower, 2 goods warehouses, coal drops, turntable, wagon sidings needed at least 2 big signal boxds plus four or five little ones.

When Beeching harried the northern railways the sheds, goods yards and signal boxes disappeared before the station itself vanished to be replaced with a little plastic bus shelter and the total job losses must have reached anything going on for 500.

Did Beeching's brief demand study the question of the mass redundancies, social security and dole loading likely to follow his Plan or was that not in the brief and no concern of his?

If anyone has any interest in trying to model the Mirfield railway of say 1961 I'd be happy to communicate my memories.

Rose White,

Happily retired in lovely Hessle