9 hours ago, Donw said:

Working on telephones were were in a small village the plans showed a buried coupling near the pole so we were trying to find it started digging a few holes. A dog from one of the nearby houses joined in. There where hole all around but no luck anywhere . Stopped for a brew and the gaffer suddenly went to the pole which was ringed with ivy. There under the Ivy was the joint. The cable must have been replaced at some point and extended onto the pole. 

Water can get through cable sheath by Intermolecular penetration.  For Telephone cables they were either filled with petroleum jelly or air was pumped into them to keep the moisture out.

Don

Thanks, but probably a bit extreme just for a few lamps that the cats will probably destroy anyway. However, I have discovered Liquid Insulation, which seems to do the trick - it completely surrounds any join and dispels all air and moisture. Quite how long it will last is another matter!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mike Storey said:

Thanks, but probably a bit extreme just for a few lamps that the cats will probably destroy anyway. However, I have discovered Liquid Insulation, which seems to do the trick - it completely surrounds any join and dispels all air and moisture. Quite how long it will last is another matter!

That sounds worth a try. I was really trying to get across the fact that moisture can migrate through a cable sheath so even though you think it is all sealed moisture appears. I think the armoured mains cable has a barrier layer. I always try to bring an exterior cable up into a joint so that any moisture will run away from the joint not into.

Don

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Just updating to say plenty has been done on the line this year, but I have had no time to post photos. I have finished and placed all the buildings, albeit a few need remedial work, and have built some more coaches and wagons, with more in progress.

Will post photos in the next few weeks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One structure I am very pleased with is this scratch-built staircase, leading from the station to the village. Made with hardwood steps, softwood uprights and balsa ties - all thoroughly soaked in preservative, but I doubt it will survive a winter, so has been made removable for a longer life.

20210910_181833.jpg.7bf4342447a30aa6ecca9efd63c0679c.jpg

The canal siding is finally properly open, as evidenced below, but the whole area needs detailing again. My first attempts, installed some three years ago at least, have been dogged, catted, frogged/toaded, birded and finally thoroughly washed and winded. Something stronger is in order.....

20210910_181956.jpg.b8bfc8c5cdd8a022794a0d9d61a24cf4.jpg

Finally, the Chapel in situ, though much more work to be done, with its big brother in the background.

20210910_182023.jpg.666bfb75ef7279c8ba8fc54422e8a1b5.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

57 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Slightly uncertain about the Andros ad. Have had a glass of their orange every morning for the last 17 years, but don't recall it in Britain.

But the whole thing looks brill.

Ah, but, if you don't recall the opening blurb, this Railway might look Welsh-ish, but is in fact in France, via a tunnel that Corris workers started to dig, to get to Machynlleth.  They just didn't know where to stop.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 11 months later...

A short video of the customised Silver Lady in action - something I cannot usually take myself, so my daughter filmed whilst my grandson operated it. Unfortunately, on this run, the gas kept going out, which it had not done on the two previous runs, and there is no chuff noise this time, but my daughter did not film them..... You will notice the damage to some of the buildings and other problems, due to the spate of storms and then many weeks of scorchio. I will repair them over the winter.

https://www.facebook.com/501088100/videos/598159245296968/

• Like 2