Roll a round top boiler, without rollers.

keidal

Can anyone suggest how to make a parallel boiler, without using rollers, from flat brass sheet please ? The boiler which I need to make is 43 mm diameter [approx. 4' 6" dia. in Finescale Gauge 1], for an LNER P1 0-6-0 loco. electric motor, not live steam !

I was thinking of using something like 0.5 - 1.0 mm flat brass sheet and I have some lengths of copper tube just a bit smaller in diameter.

Will I have to anneal the brass first, somehow ?

Could I incorporate "Jubillee" clips in the process for example ? I would soft solder the meeting edges

I do have a hefty engineer's vice and basic tools.

I have a 300 mm length of 1 3/4" outside diameter brass tube, with a wall thickness of approximately 1/16" - and I have been quoted £75.00 to turn it down to 43 mm diameter, leaving a short length un-skimmed for a smoke box ! Too expensive to even think about.

I have bought the Isinglass drawing for the loco - an LNER P1 0-6-0, which is only available in 4 mm scale.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Keith

I've never done anything this big but for smaller loco's in 4mm it's not hard if you anneal it first over a gas flame (cooker!); clean it up with emery paper then roll using brass tube or wooden dowel a fair bit smaller than the size you want. Small ones can be done on your thigh like a cigar but otherwise a soft surface with some give like a cutting mat, or several newspapers in a pile. The mating edges are the hardest part as they don't want to curve so they need more pressure and perhaps a smaller tube to roll with. I would use 10 thou brass in 4mm as it forms quite easily, but you might need it a bit thicker for gauge 1. If you leave it for a few weeks after forming it will regain some of it's former hardness.