Suggestions for a DCC System

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

I am wondering if one of those multi way power plugs might be suitable? I have a couple in storage, when I get the chance I'll see if I can dig one out to try it.

This is from their website...

The SPROG 3 should be used with a power supply of 12 - 18 Volts capable of supplying at least 2.5 Amp, otherwise the over current protection feature will not operate correctly.

so i think you can probably use a power supply from a number of places. 

This is from their website...

The SPROG 3 should be used with a power supply of 12 - 18 Volts capable of supplying at least 2.5 Amp, otherwise the over current protection feature will not operate correctly.

so i think you can probably use a power supply from a number of places. 

And the prize goes to...:)

If the supply current limit is lower than the SPROG (2.5 A for a SPROG 3) then you will get unexpected results when a short occurs.

Andrew Crosland

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

• RMweb Premium

Can someone point me at an example of a suitable PSU? I've just been thinking that it doesn't have a consumer-style power input socket, so it will need to be something that can have wires direct to the input + and - on the unit.

Can someone point me at an example of a suitable PSU? I've just been thinking that it doesn't have a consumer-style power input socket, so it will need to be something that can have wires direct to the input + and - on the unit.

Out of interest, did the dealer at Warley not offer any advice on powering the SPROG?

• RMweb Premium

A part of me is quite content with the idea of doing the wiring myself. However, I'm concerned about modifying a consumer unit in such a way, mainly due to safety concerns. Making sure I get a unit which is guaranteed to work is of some importance to me. So I may be putting an order in on the Sprog site for a suitable one, rather than attempting my own modification of what is, after all, a sealed consumer unit (as against some of the PSUs we use in the model railway world).

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian, I have two suitable PSUs which are 12v - 1.25A Output which matches the Sprog site information. If your interested let me know on PM

attachicon.gifIMG_4381.JPG

Regards

Tom

That would not satisfy the requirements for a Sprog III as purchased by Ian J. As stated a number of times it requires a 2.5amp (at least) rated supply. Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Those are useful pics. Yes, it's a Sprog III, so needs at least a 2.5A supply, 3A or so preferably. I will order one from the Sprog site soon, I think that's the safest thing to do.

• RMweb Premium

For my Sprog, I bought a socket to suit the plug of the PSU (try Maplins) attached a couple of short lengths of wire to the socket, added some heat shrink and then fitted the two wires to the Sprog terminal. I can then plug and unplug the PSU without having to mess around with the screw terminals on the Sprog.