Class 33 visits the Isle of Wight

From memory, wasn't one of the two Channel Tunnel boring machines deliberately veered off course and left down there? I reckon it kept going and ended up somewhere near Ventnor...

• Like 3

From memory, wasn't one of the two Channel Tunnel boring machines deliberately veered off course and left down there? I reckon it kept going and ended up somewhere near Ventnor...

Maybe, and having risen at Ventnor, the Government sent it straight back down and off to Penzance. A secret HS3 which when announced to the public in three years will once and for all solve the issue of the sea wall at Dawlish.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe, and having risen at Ventnor, the Government sent it straight back down and off to Penzance. A secret HS3 which when announced to the public in three years will once and for all solve the issue of the sea wall at Dawlish.

No I think you'll find Crossrail 2 comes first. It'll surface somewhere around Tottenham allowing the IOW to become part of the tube network with Hertitage tube trains running special through services.......

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Inspired getting a slim jim given the reduced loading gauge , just need a "careful" signaller at St Johns to let it out and down to the tunnels so we can see what a lowslim would look like ready for the enhancements to the mainline.. just a thought and off to get my coat!

Robert  

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how that got there? I assume on the back of a low-loader?

Seems to have been quite a logistical challenge getting it there!  My understanding is that the extra low low loader used to take it to the Island came from Spain and was shipped across to Poole. The loco was moved on to that low loader at the Swanage Railway, driven to Portsmouth where it was loaded on to Wightlink's St Clare.  It was the heaviest load Wightlink have ever shipped.

Does anyone know how the loco was discharged off the ferry in Fishbourne? From the pictures taken onboard it looks like the loco couldn't fit under the stowed mezzanine decks so despite being double ended the St Clare would have had to turn around so the low loader could reverse off??

Thanks for the info. Looking at the Facebook image of it stowed on board the ferry, it certainly does look like it would have to be reversed off. Fascinating stuff...

https://www.facebook.com/iwsteamrailway/posts/1659387307470076

I don't believe so, there are photos of it being driven off forwards at Fishbourne.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/366070303809648/permalink/392947624455249/