Shipley scrap

Hello

I am looking to make scrap bales for my HO layout can you please show how they were made - thanks.

And further ... do you or anyone reading this have detailed photos of prototype scrap bales please?

Paul

hello paul

the scrap bales are made from aluminum foil  torn onto small strips and then pushed into the end of a Mc Donalds ice cream spoon , if you cut the end off to about 15mm in length , you then build up the layers until it is, full push the bale out , probably easier to do than explain ! i have also used foil shredded in a blender , then packed the end of the spoon with the scrap added some matt varnish and allow to dry overnight , then push the bale out , there are HO versions off ebay also https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baled-Scrap-Metal-STEEL-Fits-Athearn-HO-Scale-50-Foot-Gondola/323499687754?hash=item4b52157f4a:m:mpdHwAw11z3WDARVRVAfItg&var=512546073702, hope this helps

mcflurry-spoon.jpg?w=980&q=75

I have used shavings from a wood router , sieved out until i have the required size  , sprayed with either silver  or  chrome paint to look like fine shredded scrap will see if i can find some pics

Edited by bazjones1711
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

hello paul

the scrap bales are made from aluminum foil  torn onto small strips and then pushed into the end of a Mc Donalds ice cream spoon , if you cut the end off to about 15mm in length , you then build up the layers until it is, full push the bale out , probably easier to do than explain ! i have also used foil shredded in a blender , then packed the end of the spoon with the scrap added some matt varnish and allow to dry overnight , then push the bale out , there are HO versions off ebay also https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baled-Scrap-Metal-STEEL-Fits-Athearn-HO-Scale-50-Foot-Gondola/323499687754?hash=item4b52157f4a:m:mpdHwAw11z3WDARVRVAfItg&var=512546073702, hope this helps

mcflurry-spoon.jpg?w=980&q=75

I have used shavings from a wood router , sieved out until i have the required size  , sprayed with either silver  or  chrome paint to look like fine shredded scrap will see if i can find some pics

Thanks for that 

I am using Bachmann 40ft gondolas - is there a size to fit?

Brilliant idea with the bales and so simple Baz - thank you. I will need to model many of these bales, come the day I ever get around to my Sheerness layout.

However, I think it is necessary to point out, under product placement regulations enforced rigidly by the moderators, that other ice cream spoons are available.....

hello paul

the scrap bales are made from aluminum foil  torn onto small strips and then pushed into the end of a Mc Donalds ice cream spoon , if you cut the end off to about 15mm in length , you then build up the layers until it is, full push the bale out , probably easier to do than explain ! i have also used foil shredded in a blender , then packed the end of the spoon with the scrap added some matt varnish and allow to dry overnight , then push the bale out , there are HO versions off ebay also https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baled-Scrap-Metal-STEEL-Fits-Athearn-HO-Scale-50-Foot-Gondola/323499687754?hash=item4b52157f4a:m:mpdHwAw11z3WDARVRVAfItg&var=512546073702

Thanks for the ebay link - have now bought some and awaiting delivery - turns out that the seller was a fellow member of Twickenham MRC until he moved to Worthing !  I've known him for 20 years, but not heard of him for 10!

• Like 1

I will get a picture when I get home, but I have made decent looking loose scrap out of almost anything, the key is just to get it down to a good small size. I've taken nearly everything, stripwood bits, bits of track, ties, 3d-printer support material, old rolling stock shells, even some electronic bits, and then cut them down to size, spray painted them silver, and then drybrushed them brown to make the finished scrap. 

• Like 1

101 2041

Here's a photo of the finished scrap.

101 2051

and a shot of the "raw material". Some ties off broken track, some sprue, a few staples, part of an old pair of earbuds, the glass from a long gone model car. As I said really anything goes here.
Edited by Pokemonprime
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Crossley scrap's first outing of the year will be on Saturday 26th January 2019 at the Small Cardiff show , as i have someone to help out for the day  i will be demonstrating concrete painting effects and rust painting  techniques and any other modern day questions you may like to ask ! ie  wagons ,scenery ,  layout ideas etc...

post-19557-0-92619100-1547995581_thumb.jpg

post-19557-0-27981300-1547995317_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

We are pleased to announce that our Crossley scrap layout will be making an appearance at the Great Electric train show at Milton Keynes in Oct plus been nominated for the layout of  the year award see link below

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://hornbymagazine.keypublishing.com/2019/09/05/Hornby-magazine-model-railway-awards-2019/&ved=2ahUKEwiGvcGm6eHkAhVeTxUIHfwkAycQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2B3SNzRM3EUuiFIe52paob

A few recent pics

20190914_192825.jpg.ea06d86fd1ab5760c61980d83d64f32d.jpg20190630_200912.jpg.acf3e32069887c328efff1fed4290a27.jpg20190630_200809.jpg.b919e3be653592bd92d1f7c35cc638b4.jpg

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see the layout and meet you on Sunday. The layout looks superb, the groundwork and scrap lying around are very convincing and I really liked all the small details like the marks where the gates open and shut, along with the rolling stock, especially the Sheerness scrap wagon it all adds up to a fine realistic layout. 

Great stuff! 

Steve.

• Like 1

Good to meet you also and thank you for your appreciative  comments about the layout and  the Sheerness JXA , may see you again  , we are due to appear  at Taunton Railex on October 26th  27th  , didnt get much time to take pics or look around  the show , hopefully we will return to Hornby show in 2020 with our BSC Shepcote Lane tippler siding layout 

IMG_20181027_104719.jpg

20190414_150931.jpg

20190425_130837.jpg

• Like 5

I spent a lot of the 80's working on the other side of the road to a scrap yard and got to know exactly what one looks like.  If I live until my 80's I doubt if I will ever see a layout that that captures the atmosphere and look of a scrap yard anything like as accurately as yours does.  Fantastic!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 20/01/2019 at 14:49, bazjones1711 said:

Crossley scrap's first outing of the year will be on Saturday 26th January 2019 at the Small Cardiff show , as i have someone to help out for the day  i will be demonstrating concrete painting effects and rust painting  techniques and any other modern day questions you may like to ask ! ie  wagons ,scenery ,  layout ideas etc...

post-19557-0-92619100-1547995581_thumb.jpg

post-19557-0-27981300-1547995317_thumb.jpg

Hi Baz. The POA wagon in the lower photo - looks like one of the early versions. Did you scratch-build that, or is it a kit?

6 hours ago, Ruston said:

Hi Baz. The POA wagon in the lower photo - looks like one of the early versions. Did you scratch-build that, or is it a kit?

Hello  Ruston  , the wagon in the lower pic is an O gauge resin kit as made by Paul Rolley , this is one  that i started to weather for him .IMG_20180623_182625.jpg.78cefc20b517708f70b7f02afe8fee97.jpg

I did many years ago built one of these in OO  , but back then my weathering was not so good and as the weathering was not how i wanted it to be  , the wagon was duly thrown south ! never to run again , there are plans of these wagons and all the SR POA in an old Model Railway Constructor , if you require them let me know and can PM you

• Like 2

On 16/10/2019 at 10:34, sb67 said:

I've got a question, I was wondering how you got the wheel marks in the yard, they look really convincing?

Steve.

Hello Steve , the marks are simply made by running some toy vehicles through some watered down paints  and running them across the yard building up the layers with slightly different colours , making car noises as you do it  is optional mind you !

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 months later...

Agreed - Nothing there that says 'model' - just a great railway scene.

Looks like someone has saved a slice of that class 47 cab side. I remember you could buy chunks of '08' cab side at Collector's corner in the 1980s. I never got one, and can't remember if it was the price, how I was going to explain to my Mum and Dad where it was going to be put, or simply the logistical impossibility of getting it home from central London on the train! 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hiya Baz,

Hope you're doing well, sad news about Tony Holloway as well.

I've just read back through this thread as I have a left over sheet of Ply from baseboard building and quite a few scrap wagons, so a scrap yard might be next on the list... Not Shipley though but I have a visual picture in my mind.

Cheers,

Wayne