Shipley scrap

Made a start on the Sheerness Steel JXA

attachicon.gif22104581_1971181203158006_4080966052938931151_o.jpgattachicon.gif22135599_1971181149824678_1524977290299161793_o.jpg

Will use s kits bogies not quite correct but close enough , could use bogies off Bachmann TEA if they were available?

Do you mean the Schlieren bogies? I have tried finding old model TEA's which had a good representation of them, for some years, but in vain. I have a number of the S-Kits version, and, although I have only assembled one so far, it certainly looks the part. But unlike your sterling work, I am bashing another type of bogie wagon to make up a set of these.

Railtec are now doing the complete set of SS transfers for the JXA/POA, although only the large lettering version, which is fine by me.

• Like 1

Do you mean the Schlieren bogies? I have tried finding old model TEA's which had a good representation of them, for some years, but in vain. I have a number of the S-Kits version, and, although I have only assembled one so far, it certainly looks the part. But unlike your sterling work, I am bashing another type of bogie wagon to make up a set of these.

Railtec are now doing the complete set of SS transfers for the JXA/POA, although only the large lettering version, which is fine by me.

I have a set of S Kits Schlieren bogies to do a later style Sheerness steel wagon , as for the early version i've used S Kits Gloucester bogies , not sure which type i bought , but close enough ,also looked at the Bachmann TEA tanker  for its Gloucester type bogies , if you can pick one up for around £20 ,seems  expensive for just the bogies , but  no need to buy wheels and bearings and the initial cost of a S Kits bogie and your still, left with a tanker you can re bogie . Hopefully Santa will be bringing some Railtec transfers.

Edited by bazjones1711
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, Crossleys. In one of my past lives I worked for Metal Box Engineering in Shipley, and Crossleys was where all the machine shop swarf and other scrap metal went.

Except on one occasion, when there had been a big clear out in the factory, and it was subsequently discovered that £25,000 of bodymaker tooling destined for a customer’s order had apparently been consigned to the skip and taken away by Crossleys. Several of us then spent a long day down at Crossleys sifting through piles of scrap trying to find it... But we never did.

• Like 1

I have a set of S Kits Schlieren bogies to do a later style Sheerness steel wagon , as for the early version i've used S Kits Gloucester bogies , not sure which type i bought , but close enough ,also looked at the Bachmann TEA tanker  for its Gloucester type bogies , if you can pick one up for around £20 ,seems  expensive for just the bogies , but  no need to buy wheels and bearings and the initial cost of a S Kits bogie and your still, left with a tanker you can re bogie . Hopefully Santa will be bringing some Railtec transfers.

"Close enough" is now my ultimate ambition!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Baz,

Superb modelling! If it wasn’t for the radiator and backscene corner appearing in your photos it would be impossible to tell whether it was full size or model.

The first and last pictures especially depict the scene perfectly. Your interpretation of baled scrap is spot on and the way you have blended the cooling tower on the back scene is so believable.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Love the cut out of 47140 - excellent detailing.

The flame cut number of 47140 is simple really , find flame cut pics on the net , print until approx the right size , tear around the edges  and the torn edges are painted ! with some old tea out of the teapot , just to make them   look burnt / rusty.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Every once in a while you come across a little cracker here on RMWeb and for this is one of those!!

The detail is just superb and very life like, your scrap is as JLTRT.  For me the big pile of mixed scrap, the compressed bales and the scrap in the blue hook lift skip (post #1) are awesome.

I am in the process of creating some Bachmann POA wagon loads of scrap for my boys layout and you have provided some great inspiration.  But I am a bit stumped on some of your techniques.  Would you mind sharing the how you created the following?

• The compressed bales
  • Loose wire in the yellow skip, is it painted wire wool?
  • Is the split rusty scrap metal at the bottom of the concrete wall real metal drill swarf? (seen in post #1)

For your big pile of scrap metal, did you pile then paint or paint then pile the bits?

Thanks

Every once in a while you come across a little cracker here on RMWeb and for this is one of those!!

The detail is just superb and very life like, your scrap is as JLTRT.  For me the big pile of mixed scrap, the compressed bales and the scrap in the blue hook lift skip (post #1) are awesome.

I am in the process of creating some Bachmann POA wagon loads of scrap for my boys layout and you have provided some great inspiration.  But I am a bit stumped on some of your techniques.  Would you mind sharing the how you created the following?

• The compressed bales
  • Loose wire in the yellow skip, is it painted wire wool?
  • Is the split rusty scrap metal at the bottom of the concrete wall real metal drill swarf? (seen in post #1)
For your big pile of scrap metal, did you pile then paint or paint then pile the bits?

Thanks

Thank you for your interest in the layout , been busy all week getting the layout ready for shows and to be photographed for Hornby magazine. i will try and post the details of how the scrap was done asap for you , hopefully in the next week or so.

Regards baz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Awesome wagons!  The rust finish in side and out is fantastic.  What I cannot tell is how you gut the rusty scrape marks.  Have you scratched off the blue paint to revile the rust brown underneath or applied the brown with something hard like a cocktail stick?

Can wait to see these loaded up!!

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice work. I work a short walk from the Shipley yard. I have be building stock and boards to do my own version. I even made a start to building Venom. But since I haven't laid track I'll rethink as mine could never look this good :-)

• 3 months later...

Thank you for your interest in the layout , been busy all week getting the layout ready for shows and to be photographed for Hornby magazine. i will try and post the details of how the scrap was done asap for you , hopefully in the next week or so.

Regards baz

Hello

I am looking to make scrap bales for my HO layout can you please show how they were made - thanks.

And further ... do you or anyone reading this have detailed photos of prototype scrap bales please?

Paul