York Show 2018

john new

Thanks to Big Mal and the crew for the invite and another excellent show.

Layout issues notwithstanding, I had a very enjoyable time and some very kind comments about Catte Lane.

steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

By contrast, the bus service was not as well run as previously. There used to be notices indicating where the bus stop was. Not this year. And when the service is only half-hourly an accurate timetable is vital—an "aspiration" really isn't good enough. As it was, I waited opposite the station for about 20 minutes at about 12.30—no sign of a bus. I ended up getting a taxi from the station; I ought to have passed the bus on the way, but there was still no sign. In the circumstances, I phoned for a taxi on the return journey.

Perhaps you need to be more proactive as far as the bus service is concerned — it's the one downside of the current arrangements.

York Show has no control over the bus service, it's a commercial operation run by Transdev Yorkbus.  If you're not happy with their service, please complain direct to them.  Link here http://www.yorkbus.co.uk/contact-us

• Like 1

Thanks to all who came from near and far. Numbers of visitors were up on last year and 2016 (!) and it certainly looked busy on my relatively few forays from the office. One thing I like about our organisation is that traders are nearly always in the same position, so regulars can set up each year as they know the usual spot; this saves time for us to guide exhibitors to their spaces pretty quickly. Most of us "staff" are there from Thursday marking out/tables/cloths etc so it's a long five days.

Technically it is the 50th anniversary of my first York show-in 1968 I went with my dad as a 6 year old. Nice to see Alan Smith of Leeds MRS there-he was at that 1968 show!

Just the bills to pay now!

John 

(treasurer)

Edited by John of York61
  • Like 1

Back from a very enjoyable day at York doing my little bit of Stewarding on the door.

This was my first show in 12 months, with my Dad's death and relationship issues over the past 10 months, I've not really been able to face the hobby. It was great to see so many good friends today and have a genuinely good catch up.

London Road was very impressive to see in person, and I'm very glad to have seen Crumley & Little Wickhill on it's last outing, lovely scenic modelling. Managed to pick some things up for my latest project (Askrigg on the Wensleydale branch) in the form of a K1, and some bits and pieces (couple of new Peco bullhead points and track).

Overall it was great to see good friends after a rather dark point in my life. Thanks all, and thank YMRS for what seems to have been another successful show! 

Thanks for the opportunity to exhibit our layout this weekend.

From what I saw of the rest of the show there was a good variety of scales and types of layout and to a high standard

• RMweb Gold

I am now reunited with the phone and there are no missed calls or outstanding messages.  However, we do currently have one item of unclaimed lost property being held overnight (Sunday) - one bunch of keys; possibly a work set? This is going to be significant to someone, to reclaim the bunch contact us with a matching description.

Lost property - By the end of the show all had been returned to the correct people with the exception of one loose key and the bunch of keys as above (Found on, but not necessarily lost on, Sunday). These will be handed in at the Racecourse office tomorrow. 

Forgotten property - Additionally one of the stand holders on the 2nd floor mezzanine left behind a folding chair (blue covering). This is on the van going back to Hull MRS with the YMRS items.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

Another successful show over.  Thank you all who attended whether as exhibitors, traders or paying entrants. Look forward to seeing  you again in 2019, 20th - 22nd April 2019.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all who came from near and far. Numbers of visitors were up on last year and 2016 (!) and it certainly looked busy on my relatively few forays from the office. One thing I like about our organisation is that traders are nearly always in the same position, so regulars can set up each year as they know the usual spot; this saves time for us to guide exhibitors to their spaces pretty quickly. Most of us "staff" are there from Thursday marking out/tables/cloths etc so it's a long five days.

Technically it is the 50th anniversary of my first York show-in 1968 I went with my dad as a 6 year old. Nice to see Alan Smith of Leeds MRS there-he was at that 1968 show!

Just the bills to pay now!

John 

(treasurer)

I know the assistant to you! Keep smiling John.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

On behalf of Revolution Trains just wanted to say a big thank-you to the organisers of the York show.

York is one of England's most beautiful and historic cities, and the racecourse location is, for me, the most pleasant of the shows that we attend.

I particularly agree with the comment above that putting regular traders in the same location really works as people get to know where you will be without having to consult the guide.

Cheers

Ben A.

Just to add my thanks, Mike and I had a great weekend with Crinan, the Show was superb and the organisation was fantastic, as was the Hotel and the Social on Saturday evening; everyone we spoke to thought it was a fantastic show.

Well done to Mal and the team, and thanks to everyone who stopped for a chat.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Left Daughter's in Market Weighton at 13:30, finally home in Dorset at 22:30. Motorway mayhem on our run home today (Tuesday) & 9hrs for run that normally takes 5.5! Will be catching up with any Show messages, emails and texts in the morning. Hoping all other people heading back today (Tuesday) had better luck. On the positive side at least we weren't in the crashes nor were we one of the breakdowns causing the other hold ups.

Edited by john new

As one of the 'organisers', I'd like to add my thanks to each and everyone who helped put the show on, ie

The Exhibitors and traders, (without them, there's no show !!) 

The Tea Bar gang for keeping us supplied with refreshments,

The Stewards and helpers for all the lifting, shifting,moving and general 'organizing'

The York Racecourse crew for their help and assistance over the weekend.

And last, but certainly of course the most important group, the Folks who braved the less than spring like weather to visit us.

To all of you, many thanks indeed, we hope you enjoyed the show.  

On a slightly more personal note, The show marked the last outing, of Crumley and Little Wickhill ; AKA, Hull MRS' Stealth Bomber. Thought it apt to include a pic of the last train slogging up the bank from Little Wickhill for the last time ever ( you'll have to imagine the detonators firing !! ) 

post-7337-0-65834000-1522855611.jpg

See You next Year!!

Ken Gibbons

• Like 10

On a slightly more personal note, The show marked the last outing, of Crumley and Little Wickhill ; AKA, Hull MRS' Stealth Bomber. Thought it apt to include a pic of the last train slogging up the bank from Little Wickhill for the last time ever ( you'll have to imagine the detonators firing !! ) 

attachicon.gifPHOT0170.JPG

See You next Year!!

Ken Gibbons

What a stunning photo Ken!....that could be real 'full size!'

Pleasure to do my little bit on the door on Monday, sorry I didn't get chance to have a proper catch up.

Edited by 9793

Pleased to advise that the visitor numbers were up on last year. So thanks to all our visitors.

As mentioned in an earlier post we have no control over the bus service from the station to the racecourse. If you had any problems with using the service please contact the bus company and complain see #102 post above for the contact details.

What might also come as a surprise is that we have no control over the car park, including parking for the disabled, nor the access road to the stand.

See you next year and as a quick plug advance tickets will be on sale from the 1st October 2018 for the 2019 Show.

Peter

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As this should probably be the last post on this thread about 2018 just to advise the initial change of year updates for the 2019 Show are now on the website. If anyone spots a 2018 reference still lingering somewhere in an entry that I've missed please PM me so I can make the changes.

However, no significant news yet for 2019 so no point starting a new thread for next year's show at this stage.  Advance tickets expected from 1 October onwards.

Have a good summer - see you all again next year.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2

As this should probably be the last post on this thread about 2018 just to advise the initial change of year updates for the 2019 Show are now on the website. If anyone spots a 2018 reference still lingering somewhere in an entry that I've missed please PM me so I can make the changes.

However, no significant news yet for 2019 so no point starting a new thread for next year's show at this stage.  Advance tickets expected from 1 October onwards.

Have a good summer - see you all again next year.

If you don’t start it, somebody else might!