Wakefield RMS Model Railway Show 2017

enginelane

An excellent day out was had today and then a late lunch at the 'Gas-Lit Pub' in Heath.

There was a very interesting selection of generally very high quality layouts backed up by a good representation of the trade plus demos and Society stands. I liked the way layouts were grouped by scale and gauge. And I spent far too long yattering to a lot of old mates. Thanks WRMS.

Would like to agree about how the layouts were grouped was part of a cunning plan but it kind of evolved that way! . Many thanks to Jamie in this his final show assisting at Wakefield before moving to France next year. Your help was much appreciated and of course to Steve who will be taking up the challenge of Floor Manager next year.

Can confirm the gaslit pub will be visited for the after show meeting!

• RMweb Gold

Show now over and very pleased with the comments made about the show. Thank you to all who came and supported the show.

Just to add my feedback as I didn’t have the opportunity to fill in the questionnaire when I left this afternoon - of all the shows local to me in West Yorkshire, the Wakefield show is a must visit. I’ve only missed one in the last 20 years.

I felt this years show was the best ever. The sheer number and choice of quality layouts was superb and ticked all the right boxes for me. As usual, good support from the trade too.

Well done to the exhibition team from a ‘happy punter’.

Just unloaded Industivej after a very enjoyable weekend exhibiting at Wakefield, I'd like to like to thank the exhibition team for putting on a great show & looking after the exhibitors so well.

All the best

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

Just unloaded Industivej after a very enjoyable weekend exhibiting at Wakefield, I'd like to like to thank the exhibition team for putting on a great show & looking after the exhibitors so well.

All the best

Nick

I seemed to keep,missing you , seems along time since making the booking in the chapel at Midlandex

Just to add my feedback as I didn’t have the opportunity to fill in the questionnaire when I left this afternoon - of all the shows local to me in West Yorkshire, the Wakefield show is a must visit. I’ve only missed one in the last 20 years.

I felt this years show was the best ever. The sheer number and choice of quality layouts was superb and ticked all the right boxes for me. As usual, good support from the trade too.

Well done to the exhibition team from a ‘happy punter’.

Am a believer of what you put in you get out and hard work paid off this weekend, heartened by your comments and hopefully next year in the 60;th year of the club the same standard can be maintained

• Like 1

I think that the O gauge shunting plank as a work in progress had some interesting industrial shunters and I can see this becoming a gem.

and you should have said hi as well while you were here, ive been wanting to be able to meet fellow rmwebbers for a few years that i havent met yet

Wakefield is always a good show, but I too thought the selection of layouts was outstanding this year. Personal favourite was Eaglesham lovely modelling.

Spent my usual small fortune at Hobby Holidays, Wizard models and Squires.

Well done to all the show organisers! I note Jamie, of this parish, show organiser for many years, is set to retire to France, happy modelling and retirement to you Jamie. 

A very good show this year - I enjoyed my 3 hours of wandering round on Sunday, and got a few things for the on going layout.

And plenty of mint sauce in the upstairs cafe - where the pies, pasties and peas were excellent.

For all those not of a Northern disposition, pie, mushy peas and mint sauce is a local delicacy, enhanced only by the addition of pickled onions.  Add a couple of pints of good Yorkshire beer beforehand for the full gourmet experience to be enjoyed, not only by yourself, but by those around you as well.

• RMweb Premium

Can I say thank you to all for the kind comments on here. As to the scale and gauge thing that was sheer accident but actually worked well. The 3rd N gauge layout that was in the pen that I was demonstrating in only got moved there on Thursday when another layout emailed us to say that they'd mismeasured their layout and it was 20' and not 16'. I only got moved there late on Friday afternoon when a trader turned up with a 9' stand having booked 6'.

I've been involved with the show for 25 years, my first one was the first show at Thornes Park. It has been a privilege to be involved Over the years I've helped in various roles and will miss it, and the good people that I meet at the shows. One thing hasn't changed. We always seem to end up on the Sunday evening putting barrier poles away in the clubrooms in the cold and dark. I will not however be abandoning model railways as there is a rather large shed awaiting me and I'm already in touch with a local group of British modellers in the Charente Maritime, come to thin of it there's enough room in the shed to have a show with Green Ayre in it's place as well.

Jamie

• Like 3

And plenty of mint sauce in the upstairs cafe - where the pies, pasties and peas were excellent.

For all those not of a Northern disposition, pie, mushy peas and mint sauce is a local delicacy, enhanced only by the addition of pickled onions.  Add a couple of pints of good Yorkshire beer beforehand for the full gourmet experience to be enjoyed, not only by yourself, but by those around you as well.

Don't know about the pickled onion. But if you're from Sheffield you also need Hendersons Relish.

Pete

very good quality layouts this year, my dad was a bit unhappy that there was only one narrow gauge layout excluding the bit on Aber Emlyn, but you cant please everybody

There was one due but coming another year. In discussion with a layout I am following on Twitter where the modelling is very good

All equipment now back in the various stores, hire equipment returned and just a pile of bills to pay.

Very pleased to report an increase in attendance across Fri evening Sat and Sun.

Very pleased to see more families attending.

Very pleased with the positive comments regarding layouts and the overall about the show.

We were pleased to see the local scout group helping at the show and would like to record our thanks to the scouts and their leaders who attended, you were a credit to your organisation.

Many thanks to local radio stations, experience Wakefield, wakefield library services and the local schools along with the shops businesses that displayed a poster or took flyers.

There were a number of issues that affected some days and will take the opportunity of commenting upon them

The car park being closed at the start of Saturday morning was due to an employee deciding it should be closed. Venue staff and exhibition team put in a lot of time to get the right person out to unlock it.

The loss of lighting was caused due to an external sub station problem that affected the area. Centre staff called for electrican and did what they could to resolve issue. 15 mins in total lost.

Toilets, working with the venue on a repair schedule.

The survey that was undertaken has been collated and pleased with the comments made. The exhibition team will meet and discuss all points and where ever possible will use to improve the show.

It could be a hard act to follow in 2018, the 60 th year since the formation of the club but looking forward to the challenge and hope to see everyone again at Wakefield Show 16/17/18 th Nov Thornes Park Sports Centre

• Like 5

I always enjoy Wakefield, for some time in the 1980's I used to be a member before joining Hull when I was at university! Membership lapsed due to finding beer and travelling to railways in many countries. To tick three boxes when I have been to Darjeeling NG steam, curry meal on train along with beers!

Most years I managed to visit and remember Unity Hall, QEGS and Thornes Park.

This year we confused the public as they were seeing a trade stand looking rather like an extra layout! Interesting concept from us who often operate 305mm:1' scale at Middleton railway doing things at 1:76.

• Like 2

I always enjoy Wakefield, for some time in the 1980's I used to be a member before joining Hull when I was at university! Membership lapsed due to finding beer and travelling to railways in many countries. To tick three boxes when I have been to Darjeeling NG steam, curry meal on train along with beers!

Most years I managed to visit and remember Unity Hall, QEGS and Thornes Park.

This year we confused the public as they were seeing a trade stand looking rather like an extra layout! Interesting concept from us who often operate 305mm:1' scale at Middleton railway doing things at 1:76.

An interesting way of showing off the Trust and yes did get an extra layout though I think only one where the operators had to wear a Wolny hat to keep warm by the shutter door