2mm Chassis conversion help

Earl Bathurst

New to 2mm and require some information on conversions of ready to run models.

I can see there are conversion kits from the 2mm society for some models but not all.

What would be the process for  building chassis for models like the Hall, Grange, 9f etc. Are there available frame kits to convert to 2mm fine scale.

• RMweb Premium

One of the problems associated with the limited run Chinese production of models currently is that they are being built to different standards with few common parts. Even wagon and carriage wheels are using a large variety of axle lengths. This makes it very hard for the Association to make and stock all the possible combinations of conversion products. I believe things may be starting to improve, and that the design of the new N gauge society locomotive has been influenced to allow conversion to 2mmFS using currently available components. But, in the main, we have to wait for a new model to become available in the shops before a way to finescale it can be determined.

Replacement etched chassis are created by a number of people, and so which ones get created are mostly down to personal preferences. I know that Chris Higgs is reluctant to create a chassis for a model that does not have a particularly accurate body. And again, development of a chassis cannot normally start before the models are available in the shops. To keep up with what is available, check the 2mm Magazine and these forums/blogs.

Good luck.

The Hall and Grange shouldn't be a problem - or more accurately should become a non-problem when the relevant kits and wheels become available.

Nigel Ashton produced a conversion kit for the Manor, using a solid brass chassis. This should shortly be available from the Association, in a slightly revised form (dimensions adjusted for metric gears instead of imperial, I think) The early version has been successfully used for Grange and Hall conversions (same wheelbase) - see blog posts by Andy Carlson (D869) at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/722/entry-15524-finescaling-a-hall/.

Recent Farish locos can be converted by a fairly simple "drop in" procedure - pioneered for the Jinty. Similar components are available for Dapol locos. In both cases you will probably need to create your own connecting/coupling rods, valve gear etc.

David

Recent Farish locos can be converted by a fairly simple "drop in" procedure - pioneered for the Jinty. 

David

I think there is presently a delay in these 'drop-in' wheelsets becoming available again.

But frankly, without joining the 2mm Society to get access to their products, you'll struggle. Their products are well thought out and I only joined as a diversion onto a side project, but am very pleased I did. Very helpful people there. 

I think there is presently a delay in these 'drop-in' wheelsets becoming available again.

But frankly, without joining the 2mm Society to get access to their products, you'll struggle. Their products are well thought out and I only joined as a diversion onto a side project, but am very pleased I did. Very helpful people there. 

The drop-in wheelsets are standard 2mm Scale Association loco wheels. We've had supply problems following the death of one of the products team, but supplies are gradually getting back to normal (it takes time as the wheels are hand assembled). The conversion bearings , coupling rod etches and axle muffs should all be in stock and available.

Andy

To expand on what Andy has just said, as of about 3 weeks ago:

9mm wheels, suitable for the 64xx pannier, were available - I received my back order then

9.5mm wheels, recommended for the above model, were not yet back in stock - new castings are/were required.

Same sizes are suitable for the Jinty.

11mm wheels for Manor/Grange were out of stock, a few 11.5mm available

12mm wheels for Hall were in good supply

8mm extended axle drivers (for tenders of the above) were in relatively short supply

Probably worth checking with the relevant shopkeeper before finalising your order.

David

To expand on what Andy has just said, as of about 3 weeks ago:

9mm wheels, suitable for the 64xx pannier, were available - I received my back order then (likely to be out of stock again as most of the last batch went out on the back orders)

9.5mm wheels, recommended for the above model, were not yet back in stock - new castings are/were required. (bag of castings subsequently found and a batch has been sent for assembly)

Same sizes are suitable for the Jinty. 

11mm wheels for Manor/Grange were out of stock, a few 11.5mm available

12mm wheels for Hall were in good supply

8mm extended axle drivers (for tenders of the above) were in relatively short supply

Probably worth checking with the relevant shopkeeper before finalising your order.

David

I have updated David's email (text in red) with the latest information that I have (from speaking to the Shopkeeper and with the chap who co-ordinates wheel production).

The shopkeepers are usually very good at letting you know which products are temporarily unavailable if you send an order in (although it's only the loco wheels that are a particular problem at the moment). I wouldn't rely on the website listings as these are only updated every month or so.

Andy

2mm SA Chairman

Edited by 2mm Andy

Recent Farish locos can be converted by a fairly simple "drop in" procedure - pioneered for the Jinty. Similar components are available for Dapol locos. In both cases you will probably need to create your own connecting/coupling rods, valve gear etc.

David

Only the recent Dapol locos are convertible, and they are not as easy as the Farish. The 57XX, 28XX, Hall and Britannia all have the possibility to use some turned brass bearings together with Association wheels, muffs and gears. But you have to disassemble the chassis block, unlike the Farish Jinty, 4F, 64XX where the wheelsets drop out.

The Dapol 9F is not to my mind a place to start. It probably needs a new chassis built and then there is the valve gear to contend with.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

If you want somewhere to start then I too would suggest one of the simpler new Farish models, like an 0-6-0 tender or tank engine. They are robustly made with a split frame, solid metal chassis, whereas some of the Dapols seem to contain a lot of bendy plastic bits and spindly little pickups which don't take kindly to being pulled about.

Above all, for a first attempt I would try to keep it simple so that you get something that actually works - it is terribly dispiriting otherwise. I have not tried them yet but the Jinty and Pannier look very straightforward. Similarly the J39, which has the advantage of tender pickup and therefore is less prone to stalling on iffy track.  

There is a short review article describing the Pannier conversion in MRJ 239. The Jinty looks much the same - both involve just "dropping in" replacement wheelsets, and adding replacement rods.

There are two excellent articles by Mick Simpson describing the conversion of a Farish J39. The first, in the 2mm Magazine for Feb/Mar 2014, involved re-profiling the Farish drivers, and the second, in MRJ 238 described using replacement, 2mm scale driving wheels. In each case the tender wheels were simply turned down.

I converted my J39 along the lines of the former article. Mick describes how he turned his wheels down, but you could have them turned down by the Association wheel turning service. I got away with filing them ( by hand ! ).

All you need to do is reduce the flange depth slightly, and take a bit off the back of the wheel so that the flange is thinner. - a bit hard on the fingers but provided you have a file with a reasonably coarse tooth pitch ( sufficient to cut, rather than just polish, the Farish wheel casting ) and a safe, ie non-toothed, edge ( to protect the axle ) and go carefully it is not as dodgy as it sounds - try a wagon wheelset first to get the hang of it.  

For his first conversion, Mick also found he had to modify the bearings, but this is now unnecessary if you use the conversion bearings available from the 2mm Association.

Good luck - I am no engineer, but I got considerable satisfaction from the J39 conversion and find myself gazing fondly at it like Bambi's mother !

Matthew