Inspired by Crianlarich

BoD

• RMweb Gold

After the loss of photos jump straight to page 13 (one third of the way down) to see a brief resume and latest progress.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The first task after retirement was to put the baseboards together and start to lay track. I had decided early on that the fiddle yard would be Peco code 75 track but the main layout would use SMP track and hand built turnouts to a plan created using Templot.  I decided to stick to OO as I didn’t feel confident enough or indeed up to re-wheeling stock.  It may be something I regret later but I felt I was, at least, giving myself a chance to complete the layout. Like the signals, the turnouts were built when I could grab time whilst still working.

Whilst planning, the first application of modellers licence was made. I did not fancy building the ‘scissor’ crossing at the North end of the station so although the signalling is still semaphore the trackwork is of the newer layout at Crianlarich with just two turnouts. However, they are on a self-contained board so could easily be removed and replaced at a later date if I feel like it.

The baseboards were built using the L girder open format mainly to accommodate the landscape as it falls away to the north of the station.  I also quite fancy a viaduct on one of the branch lines.  I used the timber sizes suggested by Brian Lambert on his website and although slightly less than normally recommended they certainly seem sturdy enough.

The girder frames and baseboards.

post-7191-0-79603300-1507058121_thumb.jpg

post-7191-0-84874900-1507058137.jpg

post-7191-0-44031200-1507058155.jpg

At an early stage I promised myself that I would try to keep working underneath the boards to a minimum (it's an age thing) so I completed as much as I could before fixing the baseboards in their final positions.

The entrance to the fiddle yard under construction.

post-7191-0-02328200-1507058352.jpg

post-7191-0-54587500-1507058380.jpg

Tested ....

post-7191-0-94166600-1507058469.jpg

And the fiddle yard itself.

post-7191-0-76415100-1507058519.jpg

post-7191-0-24166600-1507058532.jpg

post-7191-0-99086800-1507058554.jpg

I'm not the tidiest of workers!!!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

The plan for the fiddle yard is fairly straightforward as can be seen from the photos above. I plan to have two tracks in each direction each of which can hold two trains.  The fifth track will be bi - directional allowing for 'through running' if I want it.  The 'scenic area track plan is a modified plan of Crianlarich.

post-7191-0-84783900-1507216776.jpg

Due to space constraints I have not included the old turntable sidings at the top and have lost one siding at the bottom but have retained the head shunt.  I think it should still give me some operational interest and 'play' value.  The upper branch returns directly to the fiddle yard but I am tempted to try and include a small terminus station on the other branch.  I could probably fit something about 8ft by 18in.  (Possibly a bit wider if I lost some inches from around the waist).  The terminus would be simple inspired by something like Glenluig or one of Ian Futer's Loch Lochy type designs. That would extend operational interest but would be something for the future.

Now this is really where modeller's licence is likely to take over so I apologise now to any purists out there.

I want to run the layout as based in the 1970s or 1980s because I particularly like BR blue grey and Large logo 37s.  To cap it all and complicate things I like steam too.  So when no one else its looking it is going to be rule 1 applies.  This was also why it moved from a model of Crianlarich at a particular moment in time to something loosely based on Crianlarich possibly covering a wider period of time. Perhaps I need a new name for a 'what might have been' junction further up the line.  Certainly RETB hasn't been installed yet - which is why it is difficult to justify large logo 37/4s. Having said all that I still want to run trains that are of a fairly prototypical format. 

This whole business has got me perplexed and I'm not quite sure what I want to do.  Has anyone else faced or solved a similar quandary?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
Your layout's taking shape nicely!

I've only recently ventured (back) into modelling but had started to face similar quandries - in the end I decide not to be so harsh on myself and to simply make getting enjoyment out of the layout the top priority because although I want it to be as detailed and realistic/accurate as possible I know that I won't be able to achieve this 100%, so there have to be compromises and there are a number of ways you can achieve this - for example, in your instance running steam could easily be 'excused' as a railtour and there's no reason why your layout can't support an example of 'what if RETB was available earlier than it actually was?' (although a quick scan of Wikipedia suggests it was installed on the WHL from late 1984 so this would fit in with your layout for at least some of its intended time period).

I believe modeller's licence is often imperative - Don't worry about what the purists think - unless you are one yourself of course :)

• Like 2

RETB didn't come in until 7th December 1987 on the Mallaig Extension, 27th March 1988 from Helensburgh Upper to Crainlarich/Crainlarich to Oban, and the final section from Crainlarich to Fort William on 28th May 1988 according to http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/RETB

37's started on the WHL in 1980 with the 27's finally disappearing by 1981. The 37/4's started to make an appearance in 1985, by 1986 all passenger services were /4's. 

Steam started in 1985.

If you base your layout in the 1980-early 1988 period you can have blue 27's making the odd appearance, blue and Large Logo 37/0's, LL 37/4's and 37401 in Intercity livery, Black5's and still keep the semaphores.

EDIT:- You could also have 37423 in unbranded Three Tone Grey Railfreight livery as that got repainted in Feb '88 but didn't get its decals and name until May.

Edited by 37409

• RMweb Gold

That's most interesting. Thanks for that, 37409, it certainly gives me plenty to think about and offers one solution. I have been studying numerous photos but hadn't yet worked out the various timings/overlaps.

• RMweb Gold

Your layout's taking shape nicely!

I've only recently ventured (back) into modelling but had started to face similar quandries - in the end I decide not to be so harsh on myself and to simply make getting enjoyment out of the layout the top priority because although I want it to be as detailed and realistic/accurate as possible I know that I won't be able to achieve this 100%, so there have to be compromises and there are a number of ways you can achieve this - for example, in your instance running steam could easily be 'excused' as a railtour and there's no reason why your layout can't support an example of 'what if RETB was available earlier than it actually was?' (although a quick scan of Wikipedia suggests it was installed on the WHL from late 1984 so this would fit in with your layout for at least some of its intended time period).

I believe modeller's licence is often imperative - Don't worry about what the purists think - unless you are one yourself of course :)

Thanks for that Alex and welcome back to modelling.

I think that, eventually, the layout will be run as prototypically as I can for some of the time and according to rule 1 for the rest, just as and when the mood takes me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks to the information provided I can run the layout in the early eighties and legitimately run the locos and trains that I particularly want to.  That only leaves the track rationalisation at the North end of the station to justify. I assume that was done at the time the semaphores were removed?  But rule one also applies and I can revert to the seventies occasionally to run 27s and different train formations.

The next step is to research said train formations.  I have a couple of lists of passenger formations that have appeared on here and in magazine articles.  I will have to spend some time looking at photographs to build up freight workings.  As it will involve a fair bit of compromise, particularly in train lengths, I think I will aim for 'the correct flavour' rather than exact replication.  Isn't that what many of us have to do anyway?

• RMweb Gold

How many times are you allowed to change your mind and plans as you go along?

Due to space restrictions I have decided against replicating all the buildings on Crianlarich platform. The platform length can only accommodate a loco and five Mk1s.  I have decided to include only a signal box (like the one at Crianlarich rather than the smaller ones seen on many island platforms) and a typical West Highland Swiss Chalet style station building. 

The more compromises I have to make the further it gets from being like Crianlarich.  Perhaps I need to revert to the original idea of a fictional station further down the line with a 'might have been' branch line.  That would necessitate a change of name too. Oh, woe is me!

Guest eddie reffin

The odd 27 still lasted till 1986 at least although they were fairly occasional visitors. I have a picture of 27025 at Oban in mid 1986 and I believe the last one was 27005 in early 1987.

Really good looking project. I am looking forward to seeing this develop. 

I think you can be as prototypical as you need to be with differing areas of the layout having differing options. Remember that yes things happened at set times in history but they may have happened differently if circumstances had changed! I have the same issue as my layout runs from Wessex to Cornwall and my layout is only 50 feet and not 140 miles in scale! I think pick a certain area of the layout that you can make 1:1 in representation and try and get as close in other area's. 

If you changed the name from Crianlarich it may give you more peace of mind  :scratchhead: 

• RMweb Gold

I think I might give Hogwarts a miss thank you..... although it was a wizard suggestion.

So now that I have accepted that it won't be exactly Crianlarich I am happier with the track work done so far.  I think I applied for my 'modeller's licence' when I started counting the bricks that support the window sills on the signal box and eventually said "stuff this, life's too short". Or words to that effect.  I would like to have some chance of getting somewhere near finishing and enjoying the layout.

And so to more of the track laying. The station throat at the south end.

post-7191-0-81892000-1509632792.jpg

I had promised myself that I would Do as much work as I could above the layout and only work underneath where absolutely necessary.

post-7191-0-41383600-1509632827.jpg

That multicore cable is very useful for keeping things neat and tidy.

The board and a couple of the signals in place.

post-7191-0-78418300-1509633020.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I now have a complete circuit with some of the signals installed on one of the branches to the north.

post-7191-0-02026000-1510150232.jpg

post-7191-0-23686800-1510150288_thumb.jpg

A loco has made the first complete run around the layout and all parts have been proved working.

Time to unbox some stock that has been stored ready for this moment.

I can see that  playing trains might get in the way of progress.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The second branch to the north of the station (which in the real Crianlarich would be the Oban branch) is nowhere near completion.  This is where I diverge from reality again - it is going to pass over a viaduct where in real life it curves away and down the gradient to the old Callander/Oban line to head west.  It is the other branch to Fort William that crosses a viaduct over the main road and the River Fillan.  Because of the constraints of size on the track plan, this wouldn't work, so modeller's licence has to be called upon again.

The viaduct will have to curved, it works out at 40" radius and the line behind will, by then, have disappeared, possibly into a low cutting.

post-7191-0-96861400-1510336646.jpg

I intend to build the viaduct as a separate scenic section to slot in at that point rather than work on it in situ.  A plywood base will sit on existing framework and with careful measurement the track bed should 'join up' at each end.

Now a decision. What type of viaduct?  In theory I suppose it should be one of the metal girder on masonry pillar structures so typical of the line, but since I have deviated so much from the original, I am tempted to do something different.  There is the attractive viaduct  at Craigenarden or a smaller version of the concrete viaducts seen on the extension is a possibility. I do very much  like the viaduct at Killiecrankie on the Highland Line but even my modeller's licence couldn't justify that.  

I am not quite sure which route to go down at the moment. Any ideas?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Head above parapet:

only just managing to catch up on layout topics so I am a bit behind.

I do like your signals, and if they need tweaking, then I can't really see where.

Jumping bang up to date, don't fret over viaducts.

Think of it as Crianlarish with the emphasis on the ish!

So why not consider some bridges rather than a viaduct.

But above all, keep up the good work and the momentum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I started unpacking boxes of stock that I have built up over the years in anticipation of building this layout. Most of it fits in perfectly but there were also quite a few 'now why on earth did I buy that' moments too. For some reason I have complete rakes of Mk1s in maroon too. Upon reflection some stock may have to go to E-bay or be donated to local clubs for their stalls. Others will remain for those rule one moments.

I have enough coaches to make up realistic(ish) trains. The main deficiency seems to BSOTs but I have a couple or three bodies ready for conversion. There will be a lot of detailing and weathering to keep me going well into my dotage...... and I haven't even started to think about the freight.

Regarding the maroon mk1's, as I see it you have the following options;

a) Extend the time period for the layout to include up to mid '90's and use them on SRPS tours and the arriving/returning Jacobite stock moves/tours (although this does mean you're now firmly in RETB territory).

b) Repaint them blue/grey and use as 'normal' rakes.

c) Repaint them in Intercity with white roofs and use as West Highlander Land Cruises.

d) Get rid of them.

Oh, and daft suggestion of the day.........

Given the layout is loosely based on Crainlarich have you thought of calling it 'Crainlarish'?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From the very beginning I decided that I would use computer controlled DCC to operate the layout.  This was not because I needed to but because I could.  Having downloaded and had a play with RocRail in virtual mode I thought I would enjoy doing it.  I chose RocRail because a) it was free (they do ask for donations but they are voluntary) and b) it seemed to do what I wanted it to do.

I liked the three possibilities

a) fully automatic – I could just watch the trains going round.

b) semi automatic – the computer would choose locos and set routes and signals and I would have to drive the trains according to the signals

c)  fully manual – where I use a mimic screen to change points and signals and then drive trains.

I also thought it should be possible for the computer to run trains on the main part of the layout whilst I shunted away on the branch station.

To control the points I used computer concepts ADS – 8FX for the solenoids or NCE Switch-ITs for the tortoise point motors. 

The ADF-8s I fixed to a piece of scrap plywood and pre wired to make installation easy.

post-7191-0-59575000-1512329279.jpg

post-7191-0-27922900-1512329386.jpg

The Switch ITs were attached directly to the frame of the layout.

post-7191-0-35248300-1512329441.jpg

The signals were operated by servo and controlled via a digikeijs DR4024 servo controllers.

post-7191-0-47495800-1512329465_thumb.jpg

Each point and signal has its own address and if necessary they can all be thrown via the DCC throttle if ever the computer system goes kaput. Something I hope never proves necessary. (I know, I will probably regret saying that)

For loco detection I used a combination of Lenz and LDT sensors, again partially prewired on scrap plywood then attached to the frame of the layout.

post-7191-0-26420700-1512329498.jpg

post-7191-0-27961100-1512329406.jpg

The smaller gauge red wires are individual feeds to one rail of the sections to be detected. The other rail is fed directly from the power bus. The twisted yellow/purple wires join the feedback bus which feeds the state of the sections back to the DCC command station.

Finally I created a mimic diagram and set up blocks, sensors and routes in RocRail.  The program does do some of this automatically for you but there is also a lot of repetitive manual settings to add too.  Call me nerdy but I enjoyed doing it.

post-7191-0-38766900-1512329562_thumb.jpg

Anyway, this week it has all been tested and all works as I had hoped. Today for the first time I had a full fiddle yard and the whole thing running automatically without any problem.  Yay, as they say.

I would be interested in any comments  or try to answer any questions anyone might have.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mick.  I quite like some of the newer DCC concepts products but, as I said earlier, I have been building up the stock and equipment ready for this layout over a few years now and much wasn't available back then.  It all seems to still do its job though so I have no need or plans to upgrade anything yet.  The newer solenoid decoders with the 'last state' memory are tempting though.

• Like 1