Inspired by Crianlarich

BoD

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to say ..... kudos to Digitrains, Hattons and Royal Mail. I only decided to go for this yesterday, ordered after lunch and they arrived before ten this morning.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been pottering about with those Parkside kits when I have had time over the last few days.

P1060961.jpg.4e0757136ba89febcf2234a3649bed50.jpg

P1060963.jpg.9e6275461456ab6a112df803ef838984.jpg

The one on the right is  RTR Bachmann.

They scrub up quite well ......

P1060966.jpg.839056e154c26b60ef0ff11da5666dfc.jpg

P1060970.jpg.d3141da3f6613df32749f6952fe7c2d6.jpg

I must close those coupling loops and fettle that buffer on the next wagon.

I can still feel that distillery train coming on.

P1060967.jpg.4819d221695ff1cc59f30ce9f9f798b8.jpg

Just need to decide on a suitable name for the loco.  A new name plate and number will be created on the computer and printed out on decal paper.  It will have to be fictitious -  have you seen how complicated the font is on the Dailuaine distillery 'puggy'?   I tried to create it and got nowhere near.

• Like 13

• BoD changed the title to Crianlarich (Even Further Up) .... on Class 37/4s
  • RMweb Gold

I have been working on the contours and scenery of late moving away from a 'flat earth' appearance, much more of which later.  However, for various reasons, I have not been up in the loft this week and so started to think about some of the rolling stock.  Over the years I had acquired some of the Bachmann large logo 37/4s, far from perfect models I know but needs must.  This week I finished fitting them with sound decoders and speakers and also looked at changing some identities.

The printed numbers proved particularly stubborn to remove. At the same time I decided to do the West Highland Terrier logos too,  as Bachmann's effort is pretty poor.

P1060991.jpg.88924a7c811846a24b1c4df756d879df.jpg

These became ......

P1060993.jpg.7dde471d635b5f92d98f17e91554b9b7.jpg

.... and no I'm not working toward a full house.

P1060992.jpg.712082f4d9fe97850d7de6e038fa1f35.jpg

There is an original in the background which will remain as 37408.

Its off for a spray of varnish and then onto weathering and detailing.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

BoD,

are you hoping that if you leave them like that overnight they may multiply on their own?:jester:

Baz

(nice locos by the way!)

Edited by Barry O
english grammaticals!
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

are you hoping that if you leave them like that overnight they may multiply on their own?:jester:

Fat chance.  I’ve been trying to breed them for years without success. 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just been doing a couple more 'Westies'.

Here is the Bachmann original and as I said earlier, in my opinion,  it's not the best.

P1060995.jpg.e8dc0dcd29fc1fdfdd59b168929b33f1.jpg

..... and the replacement from the Railtec Transfers set.

P1060999.jpg.4ee22360259cf15f1e713fb7c2349274.jpg

Well worth the effort I think.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh, several rude words.

I was just about to renumber a loco to 37026 Loch Awe when I had one final check of the photos and noticed the donor loco has the wrong nose end.  It has round buffers and the skirt around the buffers whereas 37026 doesn't.  Why couldn't they keep things simple?

A suitable loco would be 37051 but it doesn't have a name or those pretty little doggies on the side. 

Do I do Loch Awe and know in my own mind that it is wrong or go for a work-a-day 37051?  Decisions, decisions.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mallaig1983 said:

Personally I'd go for 051 :-)

Great minds .......    :o

P1070001.jpg.6378e8885c867567bd3a8c0ab8c7edbf.jpg

Another 37 I had lying around is set to become 37178.  There seems to be less choice for centre headcode versions.  But for that I need to acquire/make a car headlight style lamp for the front of that one.  Anyone know of anyone who makes them in 4mm?

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mallaig1983 said:

Great minds indeed :D

I suppose modelling the same area will increase the chances of that happening, but even so........

However, that leaves me with a pair of etched Loch Awe nameplates looking for a home.  I will pop them in the post if anyone needs them otherwise I will just keep my eyes peeled and wait for a suitable loco to come along.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

They get everywhere don’t they?

In addition to the headlight, 178 needs a pair of brackets located above the head code panel which I believe were WR fitted for name boards. Not sure how I will model this yet.

There are several people on RMWEB who supply and fit headlights but I haven’t used any of them so can’t comment on their quality.

5C8F399C-B3ED-43D8-8849-3FD96E833842.jpeg.39d8c555e2c16be3c603e7589a7f8833.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, young37215 said:

In addition to the headlight, 178 needs a pair of brackets located above the head code panel which I believe were WR fitted for name boards. Not sure how I will model this yet.

Interesting point.

Looking at Scottish Class 37s Vol 1  190 and 191 had those fitted too.  I've just spotted in the photo in that book that, more noticeably,  178 has a couple of extra angle brackets  directly above the red tail lights in line with the bottom of the head code panel. They are not the standard lamp brackets either.

Looking at others they seem a right mish mash of combinations of these without rhyme or reason.  Why couldn't they make them all the same, eh?

• Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, BoD said:

Interesting point.

Looking at Scottish Class 37s Vol 1  190 and 191 had those fitted too.  I've just spotted in the photo in that book that, more noticeably,  178 has a couple of extra angle brackets  directly above the red tail lights in line with the bottom of the head code panel. They are not the standard lamp brackets either.

Looking at others they seem a right mish mash of combinations of these without rhyme or reason.  Why couldn't they make them all the same, eh?

They did it to keep future model-makers on their toes and confuse rivet counters!

Roja

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 37Oban said:

They did it to keep future model-makers on their toes and confuse rivet counters!

Roja

They are certainly keeping me on my toes.

Funnily, there is no way I would consider myself a 'rivet counter*' or a perfectionist but once I have spotted that something is wrong I find it hard to 'unsee' or ignore.  Which is a bit of a contradiction when you consider that, for the majority of us, the whole thing is full of compromises anyway.

*although I have been known to count bricks!

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

That's what I've found too. Once seen can't be unseen. 37 112 had buffer beam cowels until 83 when they were cut back but still retaining the round buffers. Mine has cowels and I can't unsee it in 1983 guise. So 37 049 will become 37 112 and 37 112 will become 37 039.  If anyone wants to point out roof rivet detail please keep it zipped, I can't take any more :dance_mini:

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

So 37 049 will become 37 112 and 37 112 will become 37 039.  If anyone wants to point out roof rivet detail please keep it zipped, I can't take any more :dance_mini:

Andy

You'd better not look at Young37215's WHL V.4 topic for a while then as I've just posted something regarding 37 039 !

Apologies in advance,

Ian.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've just had a look at WHL4 and you are correct in what you have found. I was expecting to model 039 with yellow plated boxes. Some nice footage of it in this condition on DTV's Class 37 tribute vol 1 dvd filmed in 1984. 

My 37112 is constructed from a body shell from eBay. I bought an EWS liveried split box example to provide the chassis and headcode box plates. I could use that body on the chassis from 37 410 (I won't use this loco regularly anyway) but I find myself short of a set of headcode plates. Plus I need to find someone who does resprays or get myself an airbrush next year. 

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that Accurascale release some RSH examples as I need a couple of these (081 and 085).

Andy

• Like 3

• BoD changed the title to Crianlarich (Even Further Up) .... the willpower of a whelk.
  • RMweb Gold

Loch Awe - Thanks for triggering a memory.  As a student I was up in Scotland relatively frequently and remember when passing by what is now the Loch Awe scene it was just a very narrow, not much wider than single track road and therefore observed its construction and viewing.  The same happened in North Wales a number of years later.

Apologies for going off track.

• Like 2