Inspired by Crianlarich

BoD

Looks great. I’m paying particular attention to your scenics. Love the rocks. Is tge signal an MME one? Looks perfect and I’ll need a few too.

keep us posted on developments.

• RMweb Gold
On 14/07/2023 at 19:42, mallaig1983 said:

Is tge signal an MME one? Looks perfect and I’ll need a few too.

I assume  you mean MSE -  Model Signal Engineering/Wizard Models - so yes, they are.  They do a fine collection of signal kits but also the individual components necessary to do most any signal and these were made from individual parts I'd bought and acquired over the years.  If you are going to build your own and haven't done so before you could do worse than read the Booklaw Publications 'Constructing and Operating Semaphore Signals'.  Having a go at one of their step by step simpler signals gave me the confidence to go onto more complicated ones. There's loads of help on this interwebby thing too.

Edited by BoD
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/07/2023 at 19:42, mallaig1983 said:

I’m paying particular attention to your scenics. Love the rocks.

Strange you should say that but I was just thinking that I hoped that my coastline turns out as good as yours has!! 

I have laid the base for one end of the quay and the stream.  It looks a mess at the moment but hopefully when I get to work with sculptamold, smaller rocks and pebbles, and green stuff it will look better.  That won't be for a while yet though as I want to continue with the chickenwire and modroc to complete all  the contour work asap.

rocks1.jpg.d1710ecbd81402cac38b234462c4a488.jpg

rock3.jpg.93f8f6d932ec29b61f908f696fe14e9a.jpg

rocks2.jpg.9cfdfeab0a92cc17ef748220f41d8145.jpg

That must have been a very high tide.

• Like 9
  • Funny 2

It all looks good to me. I remember when mine looked like that. All of a sudden there’s a ‘Ta Dah’ moment as it all comes together and you can feel slightly smug. This layout really is looking very nice already.

Thank you for the information and advice regarding signals. And yes I did mean MSE lol.

Andy

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That well known firm of carpenters Bodge-it & Scarper are working in the loft, more soon, but in the meantime...

The latest issue of Modern Railways illustrated has, to me at least, an interesting photograph on the cover.  Sorry about the link to e-bay - but it does allow you to enlarge the photo.

Modern Locomotives Illustrated MLI Plus magazine Aug/Sep 2023 BRCW Type 2s 9772753920010 | eBay

Can anyone identify the location?

It looks to me as though the train is made up of a handful of 'medfit' type wagons with tarpaulins and a 12t van.  Am I correct in thinking along these lines or are they more modern stock with 'photo compression' at work? 

Photos like this of freight in that era are quite rare.  Have any of you clever researchers come across any others?  Or any from the late steam era?

Lots of questions so thanks in anticipation of any answers/thoughts

Edited by BoD
To include working link

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BoD said:

That well known firm of carpenters Bodge-it & Scarper are working in the loft, more soon, but in the meantime...

The latest issue of Modern Railways illustrated has, to me at least, an interesting photograph on the cover.  Sorry about the link to e-bay - but it does allow you to enlarge the photo.

Modern Locomotives Illustrated MLI Plus magazine Aug/Sep 2023 BRCW Type 2s 9772753920010 | eBay

It looks to me as though the train is made up of a handful of 'medfit' type wagons with tarpaulins and a 12t van.  Am I correct in thinking along these lines or are they more modern stock with 'photo compression' at work? 

Photos like this of freight in that era are quite rare.  Have any of you clever researchers come across any others?  Or any from the late steam era?

My 'immeadiate gut feeling' is that it's taken at Garelochhead (Southbound) and that the covered wagons are OAAs, I'm afraid that I can't get a very clear image when enlarging it so may have to wait until I buy it. I also can't see any sign of the archway to the underpass that is at Garelochhead, so I may be totally wrong. I'll try and compare the hills with other shots taken there but it was those which made me think Garelochhead initially.

Regards,

Ian.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, BoD said:

Yes, Garelochead I reckon, as seen in this Ernie Brack photo which explains why I can't see the underpass from where the photographer is stood.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/36535962716/in/album-72157685023339563/

Edited by 03060
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Yes, Garelochead I reckon, as seen in this Ernie Brack photo which explains why I can't see the underpass from where the photographer is stood.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/36535962716/in/album-72157685023339563/

Cheers. The pylons on the skyline look fairly conclusive.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, BoD said:

Definately Garelochead and an air braked consist including OBA and VDA/VAA. It has always surprised me that WHL freight was mostly air braked from the late 1970's. 

Based on my experience there are a limited number of pictures with class 27 on the WHL on Flickr and these are predominantly passenger services. I find a search using 'Class 27 and [station name]' returns the best selection. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BoD said:

Best source I have found for the steam era material is Robert Robotham's On West Highland Lines. Several going cheap on Ebay at present!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

One other mildly interesting observation to come out of these photos is the station name spelling; when I wrote my original reply I spelt it Garelochhead but then edited each spelling to Garelochead having seen the underpass sign in one of Ernie's photos .... only to then find it spelt (correctly in my opinion) with the doudle 'hh' on the platform signs in other photos. I won't bother to re-edit them all now !

Regards,

Ian.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/07/2023 at 08:44, young37215 said:

Best source I have found for the steam era material is Robert Robotham's On West Highland Lines. Several going cheap on Ebay at present!

A copy finally arrived today.  At first glance it looked very interesting.  

Later this evening I will sit down with it,  a glass of a rather nice Caol Ila,  and give both my full attention.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2023 at 14:40, BoD said:

That well known firm of carpenters Bodge-it & Scarper are working in the loft, more soon,

Mr Bodge-it himself collared me the other day and said; 

"you know, if you complete all the wood bits, chicken wire and mod-rocky stuff around this here viaduct it is going to be hard to reach over and finish your ballasting."

He's right you know ... so that last few opportunities I have had to go up into the loft have been spent doing more ballasting.  Hence there's nothing much to report except that the ballasting is finished in the harder to reach areas - but you know what?  I reckon its still only about half done in total.   

I'm not sure whether I want to press on and get it all finished, a pain but a necessity, or just work in chunks interspersed with other more interesting tasks.   Anyone interested in a ballasting party?

Onwards and upwards as they say.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4