Inspired by Crianlarich

BoD

• RMweb Gold

The base colour is important: fairly dark for the most part.

As for movement, your water won’t actually be moving, so may appear frozen. I presume even a sea loch may have some form of harbour?

Edited by Regularity
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On our club layout we have used a variety but one that worked well was epoxy.  Stones, weeds, rocks were glued in and once secure epoxy was poured over it.

We used resin once for the low-water BUT this last has a high fume/vapour for a long time curing so cannot be used in a closed area - we won't use that again.

We also used marine quality varnish for a canal with a number of coats and this also worked with weed- at differing levels.  Multiple PVA has also been used as well as the 'bought' varieties but eventually the latter seem to 'fade/dry out' 

If you are after waves then David Wright's methods superb.  Not sure if that is a help.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/03/2020 at 10:15, PeterBB said:

Not sure if that is a help.

That’s great, Peter, and others. Thanks.  
It looks as though I may well get the time to experiment over the coming weeks and months so all suggestions as to methods are most welcome.

Does this help? 26.55 onwards. I know it's a river rather than a dock, but the results are pretty good......

Thanks for you honesty re Glenuig. I thought I had seen something similar before. No problem whatsoever in adapting other work.

Subconsciously, we all do it.....:yes:

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

36 minutes ago, sixoh8sixoh said:

This one popped up completely randomly on YouTube earlier while I was looking for something completely different. 

Obviously you might need to wait a week or two to be able to get the supplies for this one...

Pre shortage I used this method on my layout.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the suggestions I am still twiddling my thumbs considering the options and will experiment with the different techniques.

In the meantime, given the current situation in the big bad world outside  and the (rough) location of the layout I hope to be turning some of this....

P1060748.jpg.dd7d4d9e543bbf1444f4dc9ee93c3ab9.jpg

…… into lots more of these.

P1060752.jpg.df822c6f85ee8f1f3571bf26f5058b44.jpg

Edited by BoD
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, young37215 said:

Impressive. Can we have a little more detail about your process please?

Thanks.  

I use a mixture of techniques the main one being from a video I found on YouTube.  I’ll try and find it again and will do some photos when I do the next batch which will be later today or tomorrow.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, gordon s said:

I must get my eyes sorted. I thought that was a roast chicken......:D

That brought about a real laugh out loud moment.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, young37215 said:

Can we have a little more detail about your process please?

I haven't been able to find the video (probably just me) but I did a few more this afternoon and following the adage that a picture paints a thousand words...…...

I cut the roast chicken, I mean cocofibre liner (available from most garden centres etc into strips of differing widths and then cut them into squares.

P1060755.jpg.07bf238c39526dbe5cacc75163d6aa20.jpg

P1060756.jpg.dd4ed51abfc81dbdb6fc9c56ed141189.jpg

Then I tease them apart into thinner layers each one gives two or three pieces.  These are then rounded of and random notches cut into them.  This bit needs a bit of experimentation but different effects for different trees can be achieved.

P1060762.jpg.edcd7fa356764e92669031e7406b4b88.jpg

These different layers are then stuck onto a wooden skewer in decreasing order of size.  Once the glue has dried the layers can be gently pressed into a more downward shape. You  can let your hidden barber loose and trim and tidy up to your hearts content.  .  It all still looks a bit odd.

P1060764.jpg.927e26517db13eb4d921322511db56c3.jpg

P1060767.jpg.130096a0222168ee620bafacdc03e078.jpg

They are given a spray of a brown colour - the cheapest can of spray paint I could find - Wilkos I think.

P1060770.jpg.03c504bf2b8949daac961439b7a0263c.jpg

The next step is to give them a good spray with hairspray.  Being follicly  challenged this is something I don't normally use so again I just bought the cheapest I could find. Then  throw plenty of scenic material at it.  I find Woodland scenic course turf works best but each person will find their own favourite and preferred colour.

P1060773.jpg.c60faa6092cc8e803e9ed968e38ebfa6.jpg

Foliage mats are commercially available or can be made from the pieces of cocofibre.  Using these  means you don't need to clean the trunk which inevitably does get a covering of loose turf the other way.

P1060775.jpg.bfa241a10dab435584bd05caedd65a3d.jpg

Either way works it is just a case of finding a method and choosing scenic material and colours to give you the appearance that you are happy with.

Regarding the trunks.  Skewers  are ok where they are mostly hidden by the foliage but need some attention below the foliage.   Here I will use balsa dowel distressed with a wire brush to give the appearance of bark and painted.  The ends will be drilled - one for a pin to 'plant the tree on the layout and the other to take the skewer which is cut just below the foliage.  Small twigs will be added to represent dead lower branches.

Some of the ones pictured above used ready made fir tree trunks from The Model Tree shop range but these, and whilst effective they are quite expensive and with care the balsa method can be just as effective for the visible part of the trunk.  I will use the few with bought trunks a specimen trees or at the front of others but where you need a lot of trees and they are close together you don't get much cheaper than the skewers and cocofibre hanging basket liner.  The woodlands scenic can be expensive but if you apply it over an old biscuit tin or something you can collect the spare and it covers a surprising number of trees.  

Something I haven't tried but has been suggested is to apply a lighter shade of fine turf sparingly and from the top to give the appearance of leaves and shadow.   I may try this and I will add more photos when I do the lower trunks.

With careful trimming and choice of colours they can be effective when grouped  - but mainly they are relatively cheap and once you get a 'production line' going you can produce them quite quickly.

Hope this helps.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
On 18/03/2020 at 07:24, gordon s said:

I must get my eyes sorted. I thought that was a roast chicken......:D

I thought it was shredded wheat...

We've just bought some in case the porridge oats run out!

(edit) ...for eating, that is, not modelling...but you never know!

Edited by southern42
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Just to finish the trees off …...

Balsa dowel was 'stressed' using a wire brush ( well wouldn't you be stressed by one too?)

P1060778.jpg.291a18565cfcd055453d9645e73f3e9a.jpg

They were painted an overall dark brown colour then dry brushed with mid grey.

P1060780.jpg.b20688e55ffa02a7ac059cb1e0ec9e80.jpg

A hole at one end for the now cut down skewer and at the other for a cocktail stick to plant the tree

P1060781.jpg.28c4ad560b79e4fb7244e314bfbf225e.jpg

…. and Bob's your Uncle

P1060793.jpg.c6c22b2989f7baa21c49352501e63459.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Those stressed dowels. What a are brilliant idea!  I can see one that being handy for some of our British deciduous trees - the oak and the ash, for instance.

Your forest is coming along superbly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, southern42 said:

Those stressed dowels. What a are brilliant idea!  I can see one that being handy for some of our British deciduous trees - the oak and the ash, for instance.

Your forest is coming along superbly.

Make sure that you do use balsa though. I tried the hardwood dowels available from the large hardware emporiums and the wire brush hardly touched them.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BoD said:

Make sure that you do use balsa though. I tried the hardwood dowels available from the large hardware emporiums and the wire brush hardly touched them.

Thanks for the warning!  And also for reminding me of the value and potential of balsa itself although I have not really used it since the days when you could buy it by the bundle for a bob!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

They are starting to take shape now …….

P1060808.jpg.5c2a692b1d7285b75f7290f6f6513214.jpg

P1060799.jpg.09d9bd3f9352b76378d0a17c1d978afd.jpg

P1060804.jpg.c8e82045827c1b0e4562cbc67361362a.jpg

Lots of tidying up to do …..

.....and lots more to make.  I think though that they can be done over time and added to the layout as and when I do them.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1