Inspired by Crianlarich

BoD

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BoD said:

I’ve driven up Glen Ogle a few times with one eye on the road and another on the scenery and path of the old railway.  It’s not that difficult to do when you’re stuck behind a caravan.  The whole area, Callander car park, , Killin and  Crianlarch Lower just oozes a ghostly historical atmosphere. 

I've done it a couple of times, once in February 2000 with snow falling and a chilly wind. We stopped at Glen Ogle Head to look out and I do'nt think I have ever felt so cold anywhere in the UK. It was bitter with the wind chill but the views and atmosphere were worth it. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, young37215 said:

It's not a million miles away from the viaduct at Glen Ogle which would be a fantastic area to model.

Nah! that would be rubbish...........

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 07/07/2020 at 20:17, BoD said:

I’ve driven up Glen Ogle a few times with one eye on the road and another on the scenery and path of the old railway.  It’s not that difficult to do when you’re stuck behind a caravan.  The whole area, Callander car park, , Killin and  Crianlarch Lower just oozes a ghostly historical atmosphere. 

Given the now fictitious nature of my layout that is a good excuse to keep that viaduct, especially as it us on the ‘branch’ line.  We shall see.

My 9 year old son saw the viaduct for the first tme today and seemed pretty impressed. The railway is now a cycle path, the most consistent 2% gradient  i've ever ridden - over 3miles!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks.

The background helps a lot, even if it is, as you can see, just the background I have on my computer screen.  Unfortunately it is far too low a resolution to make into a full size backscene. I must take a trip up soon to do some serious backscene photography.   

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

In my opinion one of the beauties of this hobby of hours is the variety of skills needed and tasks to be undertaken.  I was getting a little bored with scenery so decided, using the old adage that a change is as good as a rest, to make up a couple of wagons from the pile of kits that lurks at the back of the railway room.

I had forgotten the hours of fun to be had hunting for the small parts that you drop.

P1060928.jpg.c9af06c7e36a870a4261f01b0baf2ddc.jpg  

A couple of engineer's wagons to be added to and made into a train later - or just to sit in one of the sidings. With a grateful nod to Mr Bartlett's site which is such a wonderful resource when diagrams are not entirely clear.

If I get really bored I've a fleet of Bachmann Mk1s that need their roof ribs reducing.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Dont forget the the wooden fence outside the window on the railside blocking the view into the house from trains as they go over the points.Excellent model looks like the realthing keep enjoying yourself.

Yes, just working out the best way to recreate it.  As you say, it is on the railway side so it can wait until the house is permanently in place and I’m working on the lineside/ballast.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

I take it the wheelbearing elves and pixies have a branch in your carpets too??

Baz

In this case it was the door spring fairy. Or as they say in Germany....

Dorsprung Furch Offnick

At least they can easily be replicated.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

So.......    56 (yes 56) door springs, 28 door bangers and 28 brass door handles later...... 

P1060932.jpg.f5294ed93f51664cdd3f17346d57d77d.jpg

P1060936.jpg.cd1449892ea7cc3bea9445a55c204383.jpg

Just need a little bit filling here and there and then off to the paint shop and I need to order some transfers. 

Its amazing what else you find at the back of cupboards - some of which I'd totally forgotten about.

P1060935.jpg.5fcf620b2010a6499851abd62aaa6674.jpg

If ever again I suggest doing something different 'just for a change'  please slap me several times about the head.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

we waved during our visit to the Station in Horden.. honest guv!

Baz

I didn’t see you.

Probably down on my hands and knees hunting a door spring.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, PeterBB said:

The patience of Job.  I have a kit still not made up that must be nearly 40 years old ... it will never get made up now.

I must admit that the sturgeons took a lot longer than I had planned for. I had intended to spend just a couple of days on kits as a change then get back to the scenic work.  All of the kits I have, I bought a number of years ago and they were put aside 'until later'.   

Having said all of that,  I enjoyed doing them - so you have no excuse what so ever.

Back to the scenery now. I may be some time.

Edited by BoD
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2020 at 15:39, BoD said:

I must admit that the sturgeons took a lot longer than I had planned for. I had intended to spend just a couple of days on kits as a change then get back to the scenic work.  All of the kits I have, I bought a number of years ago and they were put aside 'until later'.   

Having said all of that,  I enjoyed doing them - so you have no excuse what so ever.

Back to the scenery now. I may be some time.

Thanks.

"Put aside until later" ... sounds like a good idea!  

Have spent some time on a layout (Cadley Hill) that Andy P started but didn't like, have enjoyed doing it but wished now that I had taken up his points and put motors on them.  It has been surprising what has come out of the old cardboard boxes - hence noting the unmade-up kit.  They have been through at least 6 houses in their  lifetime as have some of the buildings and also a motor bike and racing car put away with the date 1957 on the box.  Surprised also at the number of signal boxes ...

I was planning an N rather than getting on with Rothleigh after ripping up the track and to gain space thought I'd use up some of the 'stock' bits and pieces and thus Cadley Hill, except that it bears no resemblance to it, is now up and running.  Neverhill might be a better name for it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Was that the one in Sunderland? My dad worked for a firm based in OliveStreet not far from Josephs....

Baz

Yes that’s the one.  A wonderful store.  Toys and sportswear on the ground floor with more expensive sports equipment and railways upstairs.  I still have a Wrenn Mallard bought there.  If my memory serves me correctly they also stocked scout and guide uniforms.  A veritable Alladin’s cave.

It’s not that far from Olive St.  Olive St always has memories for me because that was where the local music store was.  Sheet music and all sorts of instruments.  Spent quite a few hours browsing there.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well that modroc is still ok.

Strangely enough it is almost the same price as ‘plater bandage’ I have recently bought some twenty plus years later.  Having said that it is of a much better quality with a finer mesh and a fair bit more plaster ingrained.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

After searching for quite some time I managed to source a decent second hand copy of ........

P1060957.jpg.0b4fcb52ca463fe09c7192077ea1fa5c.jpg

I don't think it will change my overall plans but a small diversion or two may be on the way.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ans so the diversion begins......

P1060957.jpg.a365db8274931970ba91264000674408.jpg

P1060959.jpg.744ab41e010c081d4a4ba40868d3d744.jpg

I can't decide if something needs doing with the chimney - or is it forshortening/perspective in these photographs?  Fortunately even a quick search reveals quite a few more photographs out there.

A little bit of work to be done and certainly a renumber and rename.  Will it be  Dailuaine or Whisky Distiller's Balmenach.  I think finding suitable decals may be a challenge,

Edited by BoD
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1