Hornby APPOINTS NEW CEO

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Oh so slap me with a wet kipper, I was out by 2c, I guess the difference between a bottom of 1.23 and 2.10 vs 2.12 makes all the difference in the world when it comes to prices ?

Greece was “world leader” some 3000 years ago, comparing one of the worlds biggest economies of the 21st century, rapidly falling down the global league tables, to Greece is somewhat demeaning to Greece.

They still have the euro, it’s still at its strongest against the pound than its currency ever been has since its introduction, baring occasion even worse crashes where the pound fell.

Or instead why not look at Poland, constant growth, no recession, constant construction, high employment and increasing wages, increasing spending power, yes the government isn’t popular, but they come and go, at least there’s tends to be more stable even if they aren’t the most popular.

It's not the 2 cents difference that made me laugh but that you'd picked a currency high on one day in the last 3700 days to try and prove a point.

As for Greece having a strong currency, sure it has, while Germany artificially props it up. Sadly for Greece there are troubled times ahead as the debt that has been set aside for the future by the likes of Goldman Sachs will rear its head in 3-5 years time. This is the same Goldman Sachs that now has Manuel Barroso as its chairman who was the former EU President. He was of course found not to have breached the code of ethics but was found to have a poor lack of judgement in accepting the post after leaving the EU with his former staff issuing the petition to have him investigated.

As for Poland, their economy is being powered by 1 million plus Ukranian immigrants, with a high proportion working illegally. Thats not an ideal example to quote.

I've an open mind on Brexit as neither option is wonderful,  but you get what you vote for and this is what we've got so may as well get on with it.

As for the price of models, we haven't been paying anywhere near the same as others for years which is why the likes of Hornby have struggled.

• Like 1

It's not the 2 cents difference that made me laugh but that you'd picked a currency high on one day in the last 3700 days to try and prove a point.

As for Greece having a strong currency, sure it has, while Germany artificially props it up. Sadly for Greece there are troubled times ahead as the debt that has been set aside for the future by the likes of Goldman Sachs will rear its head in 3-5 years time. This is the same Goldman Sachs that now has Manuel Barroso as its chairman who was the former EU President. He was of course found not to have breached the code of ethics but was found to have a poor lack of judgement in accepting the post after leaving the EU with his former staff issuing the petition to have him investigated.

As for Poland, their economy is being powered by 1 million plus Ukranian immigrants, with a high proportion working illegally. Thats not an ideal example to quote.

I've an open mind on Brexit as neither option is wonderful,  but you get what you vote for and this is what we've got so may as well get on with it.

As for the price of models, we haven't been paying anywhere near the same as others for years which is why the likes of Hornby have struggled.

As for the UK, I thought a key part of the Leave argument was that there were so many "immigrants" working within Britain "illegally".??

We can all use selective arguments to describe the past, present and predict the future, to support our own arguments, or even in a pseudo attempt to be "neutral", a tactic often shown shown not to be true. The key point for Hornby and trade generally, is that the future was unpredictable, and has now been made even more so. The debates about release strategies, types and volumes on individual locos and rolling stock, are the stuff of this forum, and that is no surprise. Whilst interesting, they are of minor significance compared to the overall economics of the hobby trade now.

Either you hedge bets and batten down the hatches, doing what you have mostly always done but perhaps a little better to improve cash flow, to await what happens, or you go for market changing innovations. It seems to me that Hornby are still trying to make that decision, within the confines of limited capital and a currently (apparently) shrinking overall market. The introduction of Hornby Junior (whatever its initial limitations), the introduction of the, reportedly very popular, easy-build Airfix kits, and the step change in quality on at least some of their railway models, suggests they are leaning towards the latter. The latest news on appointments and a possible integration with another player, rather than a company doctor, also gives that impression. The next year or two will be very interesting.

• Like 2

But before we do that may I remind people of a quote when it all kicked off.

The UK will end up with about as much influence as Guernsey.

So far we seem to be on course.

Bernard

Guernsey may not be influential but it is prosperous. In the approximate words of Slartibartfast, “That’s where it all falls down, you see.”

The Irish said that when they were tied to sterling, they had no input into economic decisions. A least with the Euro, they now have a voice, however tiny, at the table.

Edit: whoops! Politics. Er, we still get our models from China, don’t we? Nice to see Dapol producing wagons in England-near-Wales or Wales-near-England.

Edited by No Decorum

• RMweb Gold

We can all use selective arguments to describe the past, present and predict the future, to support our own arguments, or even in a pseudo attempt to be "neutral", a tactic often shown shown not to be true. 

I'd rather hope that isn't a dig at my comment. I genuinely have no preference either way, both sides of the argument have good and bad points and lied. I also see no point in having high blood pressure over a decision I can't change.

Back on topic. 

As a shareholder the price isn't gone through any earth shattering changes trading at 32p this morning. for the last 6(?) months it's been between 30-33p

• Like 2

Nice to see such topic wander, but Brexit?, it the recovery of Hornby that matters, and Hornby finding new markets. As matters stand they use cheaper labour from the FE or Communist China, this is something we all obliged live with, and due to globalism in trade. But things change as the world becomes one market, costs will skyrocket as China develops her own home market, and prices will level off much nearer World standards.

The only producers who will stand the market place are those un-reliant on price advantage, and trade on the uniqueness or speciality of the goods, and then it will not matter where they are made.

The Model and Toy trade in the UK are in a transitional position at present, from closing factories in the UK, moving to FE production for the time being, but when the costs finally rise, they can turn back to UK production again, but it will involve large increases in price. I doubt that production can return, as it will not matter on cost grounds where it comes from by then.

What the UK and the EU must concentrate on is other areas, design, uniqueness, fast delivery, and customer care. Brexit will only work if the UK tries very hard to stay ahead of the game, and at the moment that seems unlikely.

You must temper talking about Brexit, and not forget it is both Political, and Business, and these are separate issues really. In business Brexit gives an advantage to the UK, trade deals permitting. It will not affect Chinese imports at all, they are not in the EU.

The only way UK business can improve is very hard work, by all from the directors of the companies to the shop floor, but this also involves decent and clever design, future planning, and customer care that imported goods cannot match. They try to say they do this at present, but because companies are now so small in the UK in terms of staff, these importers cannot offer the service that the customer expects.

Many firms at the moment who exist in the UK with FE production are barely more than a couple of tiny factory units, having sold their original sites for development. These companies must expand again to offer the kind of service and supply people deserve, if they do not, then when China catches up, they will still be in the same mess.

Dyson tries hard to plough back into a huge research dept, but then Lord  Dyson shoots himself in the foot by charging the earth for his products, whilst still making them in the cheap Chinese factories. He would clean up (sic), if he halved his prices, and made designs that cannot be copied, either legally or physically. Dyson has actually been in the situation of attempting to sue himself, when it came out that the same factory in China that was copying his designs, was the producer of his goods as well......The "fakes" were all genuine!.

With Hornby, it is a competitive market and they are stumped in the opposite way, frankly, in world and Euro terms, they are charging too little, and with limited production quantities are losing customers purchases. They cannot afford to sell items out of stock, and leave punters with cash still in their hand. Hopefully better control at the top will guide the planning better, and smooth out the glut and famine sales methods that they use at present.

Also all the efforts must be made to re-enter the Toy Railway mass market, unless youngsters are hooked in on railways, the business will flounder.

Still very curious about the Oxford connections and cross related investments though.........

Stephen.

• Like 2

Also all the efforts must be made to re-enter the Toy Railway mass market, unless youngsters are hooked in on railways, the business will flounder.

Perhaps they should employ drugs dealers in marketing! Give away products, until all youngsters are hooked on model railways, then start charging exorbitant prices :).

• RMweb Premium

Brexit inevitably enters into this, purely because of the uncertainty it creates. You cannot ignore it. Who can predict if there will be tariffs or not when we come out, what will the currency effect be.who can predict that? So major uncertainties over costs and we tend to be fixated by this. But there is another side of the equation and that's how much people are prepared to pay. You may have to increase your costs by 20%, 50% , 100% who knows, but will the market take it? The same Brexit uncertainties affect that too . Disposable income is down, and maybe people will hold onto what they have because of these uncertainties. Do not assume you can just put prices up and people will accept it. I note that sales of new cars have dropped considerably. That's another sign people are being very cautious

So what to do? I think Hornby have been very sensible in appointing a guy from the industry. How many times have we said we needed a guy who knew about the hobby , well we've got one now. He also brings with him experience of a very lean Oxford operation. I would expect him to look at Hornbys costs make comparisons and implement some savings. You cannot go into this Brexit environment carrying inefficiencies and extra costs . In appointing the guy from Ontacks they can hopefully resolve and make more efficient their distribution network. Again it's about becoming lean and efficient. Hopefully he can do this without hacking off his independent channels.

The only thing I'm not happy about is the re emergence of Simon Kohler, unless it's to give a smiling persona to the organisation. I think he presided over a mess in marketing Railroad, Main range 3 pole, 5 pole , complete mix up on what's on offer. Even announcing new ranges with ridiculous embargoes that were never adhered to. Some fairly uninspiring catalogues , and I think getting pricing points wrong.

Wishing them well for the future . It is a horrible time to be in business with the general uncertainties and then with the factors peculiar to Hornby on top!

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brexit inevitably enters into this, purely because of the uncertainty it creates. You cannot ignore it. Who can predict if there will be tariffs or not when we come out, what will the currency effect be.who can predict that? 

So what to do? I think Hornby have been very sensible in appointing a guy from the industry.

The only thing I'm not happy about is the re emergence of Simon Kohler, unless it's to give a smiling persona to the organisation. I think he presided over a mess in marketing Railroad, Main range 3 pole, 5 pole , complete mix up on what's on offer. Even announcing new ranges with ridiculous embargoes that were never adhered to. Some fairly uninspiring catalogues , and I think getting pricing points wrong.

What Tariffs ? Hornby is made in the Far East and already subject to Tariffs entering the EU.

You have rather contradicted yourself with your second sentence, they have appointed 2 people, both from the industry but then you go on to criticise SK.  I don't think you can blame SK for every ill that Hornby have suffered, he was at the time part of a company structure with decisions ultimately being made by others. 

I think Hornby have the best chance they've had for a few years to improve and so long as they start making some pre-grouping GN stock I'll be happy................well you have to have hope...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brexit inevitably enters into this, purely because of the uncertainty it creates. You cannot ignore it. Who can predict if there will be tariffs or not when we come out, what will the currency effect be.who can predict that? So major uncertainties over costs and we tend to be fixated by this. But there is another side of the equation and that's how much people are prepared to pay. You may have to increase your costs by 20%, 50% , 100% who knows, but will the market take it? The same Brexit uncertainties affect that too . Disposable income is down, and maybe people will hold onto what they have because of these uncertainties. Do not assume you can just put prices up and people will accept it. I note that sales of new cars have dropped considerably. That's another sign people are being very cautious

So what to do? I think Hornby have been very sensible in appointing a guy from the industry. How many times have we said we needed a guy who knew about the hobby , well we've got one now. He also brings with him experience of a very lean Oxford operation. I would expect him to look at Hornbys costs make comparisons and implement some savings. You cannot go into this Brexit environment carrying inefficiencies and extra costs . In appointing the guy from Ontacks they can hopefully resolve and make more efficient their distribution network. Again it's about becoming lean and efficient. Hopefully he can do this without hacking off his independent channels.

Wishing them well for the future . It is a horrible time to be in business with the general uncertainties and then with the factors peculiar to Hornby on top!

Hornby sell almost all their products in the UK; leaving aside the continental basket cases they absorbed, but there is no reason why those brands have to come through the UK en route to their intended markets.

All their manufacture is carried out in China. 

All transactions between Hornby and their suppliers are denominated in US Dollars. EU tariffs are paid at the moment and will presumably be replaced by WTO ones. I have no idea how the rates compare, but If EU-China trade is already conducted on a WTO basis, nothing will change.    

Aside from exchange rate movements and a possible impact on the spending power of their customers, I'd consider Brexit is likely to affect Hornby (and the model railway sector in general) rather less than many other businesses. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

What Tariffs ? Hornby is made in the Far East and already subject to Tariffs entering the EU.

You have rather contradicted yourself with your second sentence, they have appointed 2 people, both from the industry but then you go on to criticise SK.  I don't think you can blame SK for every ill that Hornby have suffered, he was at the time part of a company structure with decisions ultimately being made by others. 

I think Hornby have the best chance they've had for a few years to improve and so long as they start making some pre-grouping GN stock I'll be happy................well you have to have hope...

Exactly. I always assumed that one reason SK left in the first place was about him not having enough influence on direction.

John

• Like 4

Putting aside the farce that Brexit has become (on both sides of the camp, and within both major political parties), Hornby (and others) have a few major issues to contend with.

Quite simply,

1. An ageing and  diminishing main customer base. Old modelers are passing away at a greater rate than new entrants coming into the hobby.

2. There are not very many mainstream subjects (big sellers) left to model. The choice of models (from all manufacturers) is quite stunning today compared with 10,20,30+ years ago.

3. Because of the above two points, the market is saturated with stuff to buy, ebay, box shifters, most model shops, new, secondhand etc - there is absolute loads and loads of stuff out there ready to buy immediately, at affordable prices too. I myself rarely buy stuff new these days, as I "have enough" (and perhaps too much) !!

4. Current and ongoing inflation / low wage rises will have a large future impact on the hobby as model prices rise. This will relate to less sales.

What would I do if I ran Hornby ?

1. Delineate Railroad and Fine Scale (upmarket fine detail) stuff. both have a market. I personally like my Railroad locos, Crosti included (which should have been a "fine scale" model). Don't sell junk, (Olympics fiasco). Railroad needs to be affordable and good quality (which it more or less currently is). Cut out sprung buffers and very fine details if you must, but maintain standards of running quality etc. Thinking of the railroad black 5's and 9F's here - damn fine models straight out of the "Railroad" box.

2. Perhaps stop selling direct and treat model shops more fairly. Guarantee your products properly also

3. Let the UK model shops stock & sell all Hornby products - continental Lima, Rivarossi etc.

4 Re-introduce concessions. I have bought the odd Hornby wagon etc from visits to garden centres etc.

Anyway, my best wishes to Hornby.

Brit15

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that Oxford's 'lean' organisation is mentioned in reference to Hornby's new CEO.  15 12 employees (Oxford) is obviously considerably fewer than Hornby's but one thing that immediately comes to mind is that Oxford has two Directors in total (including the Company Secretary, Hornby currently has 5 (including the Company Secretary.  In total, at March 2016 accounts, Hornby Group had 157 people on the books 24 in operations, 108 in sales, marketing and distribution, and 25 in administration

In Hornby's last full accounts (to March 2016) Hornby Group paid out £5.31 million in wages & salaries and the payments to directors, including pension contributions, alone came to £1,374 million and the highest paid director was on £276,000 plus £53,000 pension contributions.  If people are looking to save big money starting at the top is always a good bet.

Edit to correct (downwards) the number employed by Oxford)

Edited by The Stationmaster

.....s matters stand they use cheaper labour from the FE or Communist China,

Nominally "communist".

"Communist" China now has more than 1.59 million millionaires ($US) and approximately 600 billionaires ($US).

To expand on that....

...that's 1,590,000 millionaires (in US$ terms)

By 2022 it is estimated on current trends, that more that 550 million Chinese will be considered "middle class". That equates to 54% of their households.

Also all the efforts must be made to re-enter the Toy Railway mass market,

What is this "Toy Railway mass market" ?

If there ever was a "mass market", it no longer exists ....and hasn't done for a long while.

Toy trains (of the Hornby type) are a niche sector of the toy industry.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If there ever was a "mass market", it no longer exists ....and hasn't done for a long while.

Agreed, IMHO the writing was on the wall for the "toy train mass market" as soon as it could no longer support both Hornby Dublo and Tri-ang in OO.

Further confirmed by the failure of Tri-ang TT to become established and the rise of Scalextric.

Model railways are the "market" (mass or otherwise) today, with an increasing number of participants joining our present "big two" in the industry. 

I have no idea if the hobby, as we know it, will thrive once the baby boom generation has gone, but it's a fairly safe bet it will shrink significantly. Hornby et al will have made much the same estimate and can be expected to progressively shift their activity to other sectors as the current zenith for the industry passes.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

Interesting that Oxford's 'lean' organisation is mentioned in reference to Hornby's new CEO.  15 employees (Oxford) is obviously considerably fewer than Hornby's but one thing that immediately comes to mind is that Oxford has two Directors in total (including the Company Secretary, Hornby currently has 5 (including the Company Secretary.  In total, at March 2016 accounts, Hornby Group had 157 people on the books 24 in operations, 108 in sales, marketing and distribution, and 25 in administration

In Hornby's last full accounts (to March 2016) Hornby Group paid out £5.31 million in wages & salaries and the payments to directors, including pension contributions, alone came to £1,374 million and the highest paid director was on £276,000 plus £53,000 pension contributions.  If people are looking to save big money starting at the top is always a good bet.

Mike - I have revisited those Hornby figures in the 2017 accounts (which also shows 2016 figures) and I cannot reconcile then with yours, particularly staff numbers (page 59) but also remunerations/costs. Maybe I am misreading some of it. Perhaps you could provide a link? Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

On Tariffs I've made the point no one can actually predict what will happen

I don't contradict myself. We have said we needed someone at the TOP that knew about the industry. We've now got it. I think the experience he brings from outside will be truly refreshing . Simon Kohler was in position as marketing manager before and seems now to be back as some sort of consultant. And I wasn't blaming SK for all Hornbys woes. A lot of that was Frank Martin who put all their eggs in one basket (Sanda Kan) and probably the Olympic fiasco. However I did specifically point out failings that I would attribute to a Marketing Manager

Nominally "communist".

"Communist" China now has more than 1.59 millionaires and approximately 600 billionaires.

By 2022 it is estimated on current trends, that more that 550 million Chinese will be considered "middle class". That equates to 54% of their households.

Try comparison with the US toy train market at Xmas, it subsidises companies other activities with more scale products, they still sell three rail O gauge in huge quantities..........Such sales at Xmas would make Hornby's accountants very happy indeed.

And before pointing out the politics of China, they are a communist dictatorship, with the party in control, no opposition, and so corrupt that most of the millionaires are card carrying communists. You cannot do business in China without the Party being involved and paid off by the businesses.

It is slowly changing, but as usual in China will take decades more.

• RMweb Premium

The Model and Toy trade in the UK are in a transitional position at present, from closing factories in the UK, moving to FE production for the time being, but when the costs finally rise, they can turn back to UK production again, but it will involve large increases in price. I doubt that production can return, as it will not matter on cost grounds where it comes from by then.

If manufacturing costs become the same in China as in Europe, then I would have thought that at some point the costs in moving manufacture back to the UK would be outweighed by the savings in transport costs (which are only likely to go up) and convenience of not having your manufacture the other side of the planet.

• Like 1

....Model railways are the "market" (mass or otherwise) today, with an increasing number of participants joining our present "big two" in the industry. .....

That's a very useful and (IMHO) pertinent point.

The growth in the UK model railway business, has come from not only a vastly greater array and availability of RTR model subjects, but from the number of new players in the marketplace.

The size and specialist nature of the hobby lends itself to, small, flexible, specialist or niche manufacturers.

I may be wrong, but I find it difficult to see how Hornby can recover and thrive without a significant change in the size and shape of its operation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If manufacturing costs become the same in China as in Europe, then I would have thought that at some point the costs in moving manufacture back to the UK would be outweighed by the savings in transport costs (which are only likely to go up) and convenience of not having your manufacture the other side of the planet.

Transport costs are actually very low. However there is a lot to be said for having a factory close by with the same culture so you can be more responsive to market e.g. I'm selling lots of Peckett can I increase or have another production run. It's better if you own and have control of the facility yourself of course. It is for that reason a lot of fashions/ clothes manufacturing have come back to Europe , despite it being more expensive to manufacture here. You can imagine if a certain dress is worn by Kate and is instantly popular, you want to be able to get copies into market ASAP. Flexibility of supply chain is a key requirement in this case and presumably they still make enough money out of it that it's worthwhile.

Try comparison with the US toy train market at Xmas, it subsidises companies other activities with more scale products, they still sell three rail O gauge in huge quantities..........Such sales at Xmas would make Hornby's accountants very happy indeed.

And before pointing out the politics of China, they are a communist dictatorship, with the party in control, no opposition, and so corrupt that most of the millionaires are card carrying communists. You cannot do business in China without the Party being involved and paid off by the businesses.

It is slowly changing, but as usual in China will take decades more.

May I point out that the UK marketplace is not the USA.

Regarding China, I do not disagree or doubt anything you've said there.

A theoretically communist dictatorship, plagued by corruption, overseeing a rampant capitalist and increasingly consumer economy.

With the impending seismic shifts in global geopolitics, it's looking increasingly likely that within the next 15 to 20 years, China will not only be the world's most powerful economy, but will also be the largest and most dominant military power.

Who knows what the global economic map will look like by then?

Model trains ??????

• Like 1

Are there any official figures that say old railway modelers are dying off faster than new entrants are coming in. I mean, when we kick the bucket, do our relatives have to tick a box which denotes we are no longer extant, have been withdrawn and scrapped, so that someone in Whitehall or Hornby can cross our name from the model railway enthusiast census. Or is there a little cookie at work on RMweb....  :scratchhead:

• Like 3

The fact that the "Mass Market" does not exist is down to changes in lifestyle etc, and other hobbies coming and going in the UK, but it is not helped by Hornby, and others not selling the hobby to the market. 

If it does not exist as a market, they have to create it, business does not come on a plate, you have to put effort in. Frank Hornby did not sit there and await customers knocking on his door for Trains and Meccano, he got the product going and created the market himself, it is known as salesmanship, sadly lacking in companies these days.

As said it is a new generation thats here now, and it has to be shown that train models are fun, and lead to better modelling later on. Rev Awdry helped no end with keeping the model train and toy sector going, but this will not last forever.

What is fatal is making limited runs and leaving demand unsatisfied, in sales it is a disaster to loose a single sale to a customer, you cannot afford to loose even one, it affects the shops and the makers. Better planning and sales technique is needed especially from Hornby reps, who, and I was there when it happened, would not reduce an order to what the shop could afford, and instead simply sold nothing!

A Barrow boy selling produce could do better than that..........he talked his way out of a sale......

• Like 3

May I point out that the UK marketplace is not the USA.

That's the whole and complete point, the market is different, if you go into stores in the States at Xmas you will trip over displays of toy trains everywhere, it is different because the Toy trade in England gave up on selling toy trains, something the US did not do. The UK Toy trade thought it was old fashioned to play trains, and took on new items without realising they were throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I should know, I have attended most Toy Fairs since the 60's, and been involved in other hobbies as well, but trains are still the backbone of selling toys and it then leading on to a lifelong consumption. The sales of toys leads on to modelling etc, but it must be nurtured more carefully, or the hobby will die.

Frank Hornby was right, sell them toys with extras available,  and you get an addicted customer, be it an enthusiast collecting, or a customer simply wanting more and more items to complement a train set. More track, more wagons, and occasional Locos, and all available from stock....

Hornby on the face of it have a huge range, locos, wagons, buildings and just about all the bits and pieces that anybody could want, but where are the shops stocking the full range? Even modern internet shops do not sell the full ranges, it leads to frustration by customers, maybe it shows the range is too big......but then customers would moan about the lack of choice.

Hornby's new CEO has a lot to do, it may mean creating new markets, using more salesmanship, finding new ways of getting shops to stock the goods, and above all getting people interested in Railway Modelling.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 1

Are there any official figures that say old railway modelers are dying off faster than new entrants are coming in. I mean, when we kick the bucket, do our relatives have to tick a box which denotes we are no longer extant, have been withdrawn and scrapped, so that someone in Whitehall or Hornby can cross our name from the model railway enthusiast census. Or is there a little cookie at work on RMweb....  :scratchhead:

I have been told that the Office of National Statistics, has been officially collecting accurate data for several years, comparing details on the number of deceased railway modellers passing through both the Pearly Gates and the Gates of Hell, with data supplied by S. Claus inc. of Lapland.

The evidence suggests that new deliveries facilitated by the S. Claus distribution network have been steadily falling over several decades, compared to a steadily increasing throughput of ex-modellers passing through both portals to the afterlife.

(p.s. No data has yet been published on the distribution of flows through said exit portals.)

• Like 1