Folding brass

Hello all, I've been working on an old Tri-ang chassis and I need to manufacture a replacement support plate for the loco body, I was planning on using some 1.2MM brass plate I found on Ebay. The plan is to fold some into a U-shape and go from there, since I'll need to make up a tender chassis as well, I figured I could make the most of what I have. But I am a complete beginner in the folding metal department and wanted some advice. The two questions that keep reoccurring are, what would I need to fold the brass? Expensive vs inexpensive options, and; with the small size of the folds 3-5MM, would it be better to acquire pre-formed brass?

If you have any suggestions I'm happy to hear them.

ScR. 

The cheapest option would be to G-clamp on a metal rule where the fold is to go and score it like billio with a Stanley knife. Move the rule a fraction of a mm away and score again to make a slightly wider score channel (you'll need at least 0.6mm). Clamp the 3-5mm part in a vice with a couple metal rules and bend into the score line. You can use a mallet or tap gently with a hammer to achieve a nice sharp corner. Run a solder bead inside the fold to keep it stable.

• RMweb Gold

Get an old hacksaw blade and grind it so that in makes a cutting blade that works when you draw it back across the work.  I believe. The name for such a tool was a 'scrawker'!

olfa.jpg

'Scrawk' a straight line along the line you want to bend using a straight edge as a guide.

This type of home made blade will make a shallow groove rather than just a scribed line

Then use a triangular needle file to cut a deeper v shaped groove along the previously scrawked line.

Attacking it repeatedly with a Stanley type knife as described above will work, but you are more likely to start losing finger tips if you are not careful.

When the groove is deep enough, you can fold it over and reinforce with some soft solder.

The groove can go quite deep, and for a really tight bend you should be able to see a witness mark where the brass is beginning to deform on the opposite side to the groove.

If you get to that point, when you bend it, do not bend it back as it will snap!