Going to the AGM

Chris Higgs

For the first time in a number of years I hope to make it to the Association AGM. So I am considering prising open the lock on the Pandora's box that is the Masterclass Models back catalogue of coach kits, and could be persuaded to bring any items that I still have if anyone out there is interested in purchasing. I won't be bringing all the stock (it's just too heavy) and so you need to tell me by this weekend anything you might be interested in. 

I also received a bunch of 3D-printed roofs from Shapeways last night. I am pleased with the quality, they will need little if any sanding down and all the roof vents are printed onto them. I'll have them to show at the AGM, although not to sell, as they are all spoken for. Turnaround from Shapeways is fast, so I can take orders for any that people want to pair with their existing kits (mine or others). I am even thinking of doing a new limited run of my existing and now unavailable kits with these upgraded roofs as an option. 

Chris  

Edited by Chris Higgs

Here's a few of the 3D printed roofs I have been working on. Not having to drill and fit every roof vent means I might even get round to finishing some of my half-built kits.

post-1605-0-42000700-1507097634.png

A selection of LNER Thompson suburban roofs

post-1605-0-74441100-1507097679.png

A set for a GNR/LNER Gresley Quad Art

post-1605-0-26612500-1507097713.png

A GWR C54 Bow-ended Third

post-1605-0-83827600-1507097739.png

and an LMS D1899 period 3 Stanier corridor third.

Edited by Chris Higgs

Would your Siphon u/f fit the bodies from ultima kits?

No. We are talking about the Monsters and the like? I just built the supplied underframes on mine, they turned out fine.

Chris

Chris,

An LMS P3 Suburban Brake 3rd

Dapol Collett conversion underframes

David

Looks like both would need to be ordered.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'd be interested in any number of your GWR Toplight coach kits (or parts thereof) if you still have some snuck away somewhere. Any length will do, but particularly the 57-footers. Any chance? 

I've been after some for a while as I missed out on the original batch. Do let me know either on here or PM me please. I shall also be at the AGM and operating 'Wadebridge' that whole weekend at the Farnham show. Thanks. 

Edited by Phil Copleston

Hi Chris,

I'd be interested in any number of your GWR Toplight coach kits (or parts thereof) if you still have some snuck away somewhere. Any length will do, but particularly the 57-footers. Any chance? 

I've been after some for a while as I missed out on the original batch. Do let me know either on here or PM me please. I shall also be at the AGM and operating 'Wadebridge' that whole weekend at the Farnham show. Thanks. 

I've sent you a PM

• RMweb Premium

Chris,

Having now seen your list I can narrow it down to the following:

LMS

2 x P3 non-corridor brake third D1907 or D1964

1 x P3 non-corridor composite D1921

GWR

1 x Collett E147 Brake Composite non-corridor

David

• Like 1

Chris,

LMS

GWR

David

Blimey, David. I'm shocked. You do realise these are not goods wagons but people vans, don't you?  :swoon:

Edited by Phil Copleston

Chris,

LMS

GWR

David

The LMS suburban sides have not surfaced. Anyway a number of people have expressed an interest, more I am sure than the sides I had left, so I am going to do a rerun of these coaches, which were the first I ever did. Most likely offering 3D-printed roofs with roof ribs and vents, as an option.

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for hijacking Chris's thread but as its on a related theme it though it sensible to add a post here rather than start a new thread.

For those 2mm members attending the AGM this weekend I am taking along a collection of stuff which belonged to the late Bill Blackburn to sell which includes a small Ultrasonic cleaner which, by the looks of it has never been used. I've not come up with prices yet but come and see me on the day and a sensible offer will secure - cash or cheques made out to John Blackburn only. The money is going to Bill's grandchildren.
There is also a nice little compressor with a couple of Badger airbrushes and a whole host of other tools, kits and bits.

Jerry 

• Like 1

any photos or  reports on this ?

Nick

No photos from me I'm afraid (although Anthony Yeates has photographed all competition entries and the award presentations and has uploaded them in another thread)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127188-agm-2017-photos/

Competition results were as follows;

Groves Trophy - Jerry Clifford for BR 350hp diesel shunter

Ballantine Quaich - Jerry Clifford for two LMS Jinty Locomotives

John Barker Trophy - John Aldrick for a rake of 3 GWR Churchward/Collett coaches

Malcolm Stone Award - Ian Smith for Bovey Tracey/Modbury station building

Willis Cup - David Eveleigh for a set of wagon building tools

Steve Sykes Award - Ian Smith for GWR Cattle Wagons

Other Awards;

Member's Choice Award - David Eveleigh for Great Northern Railway carriages

Chairman's Trophy - John Birkett-Smith for a model of the schooner 'Freya V'

Geoff Jones Layout Trophy - Kent and Essex Group for 'Lighterman's Yard'

Geoff Balfour Memorial Award - Alan Whitehouse for 'Finescale in 48 hours' article in MRJ

Mike Bryant Award (Services to the Association) - Ian Collins and Peter Townsend (Membership Secretariat)

The Dreadnought Trophy wasn't awarded this year, partly due to the state of the trophy (it is due some major repairs)

A few changes to the committee - we've said goodbye to Brian Hume (Secretary) and David Long, and welcome Rod McCall and Jim Allwood (Secretary) on board.

Other highlights - Central Shop present (as ever) with new stocks of the Nigel Ashton milled GWR Manor loco chassis and the new point rodding system from Laurie Adams and Alan Smith. There were displays from the team building 'Lewes' in 2mm and Richard Brummitt's GWR N16 horsebox chassis etches. I also saw some nice 3d printed carriage roofs, motor mounts and radial trucks from Chris Higgs and some very fine brass-centred 6mm diameter driving wheels produced by Julia Adams for a couple of loco projects using 3d printed masters. Roy Bremner had brought some of the late Neil Ballantine's modern image locos for sale to fund the completion of Neil's layout 'Dunallender' by the Grampian Area Group.

Layouts present (in the foyer of the Farnham MRC Exhibition adjoining the AGM venue) were Wadebridge, Lighterman's Yard, An Clar and The Pizza and Burnham on Sea.

I think that was everything that was going on, but apologies if I missed anything. It was a somewhat busy weekend!

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

• 3 weeks later...

The LMS suburban sides have not surfaced. Anyway a number of people have expressed an interest, more I am sure than the sides I had left, so I am going to do a rerun of these coaches, which were the first I ever did. Most likely offering 3D-printed roofs with roof ribs and vents, as an option.

Chris

True to form, these sides showed up eventually whilst searching for something else. But I had recalled correctly that the P3 ones were pretty much gone so a new order is still needed.

Now all I need is to start serarching for yet another thing so I can then find what it was I was looking for in the first place... 

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Got a coat of paint on a couple of my 3D-printed roofs. Very pleased with these, any layerig from the 3D-printing is minimal in this case and taking a look at some photos of real canva covered Maunsell roofs I reckon mine are if anything too smooth.

You are looking at the GWR C54 and a Maunsell Restriction 0 (Hastings line) third - welll the roof is, the body is a composite but that is another story.

Chris

post-1605-0-22998500-1511622658_thumb.jpg

post-1605-0-40257000-1511622679_thumb.jpg

post-1605-0-13865800-1511622698_thumb.jpg

post-1605-0-86452600-1511622716_thumb.jpg

post-1605-0-69126900-1511622738_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

A new roof I have done is for the GWR Siphon H and Monsters. The lovely Ultima etches for Monsters and Giants are supplied with an awful piece of Aluminium extrusion which is nothing like the GWR high roof profile. Having reprofiled the end there is a bit more fettling required but the roof is a big improvement.

post-1605-0-52422900-1517680827_thumb.jpg

post-1605-0-34876800-1517680844_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...