• RMweb Premium

Sticking & Gluing - not quite

I can't build the other half of the third bit of Pleye Wood because we haven't come up with a design for the under gubbins for the top bit yet.  This will be in 24mm birch ply and oiled lovingly in a circular motion with a reassuringly expensive rubbing product, but the bit that keeps that in the air... who knows?

So today I have mainly been playing with LEDs and fire and lead and stuff.

1830852525_RHLights.jpg.397961a96df9d255139ec9e5caaf8a20.jpg

396385846_RHlights2.jpg.52c18f57eaf82258e9aa3633053b613a.jpg

1938735850_RHLights3.jpg.f331fa21f563603b4d8ea2f89020b375.jpg

Oh yeah, copped a D2222 in the green with Adam Ant yellow appendage across it's mug on the eBay, and a nice respectable green body (no frills) from DCC Supplies (all the fault of that geeza @2ManySpams - thank you sir!)

D2222.png.0e7e909eb67de28e46482216f278365a.png

Edited by Tim Dubya
Stir fry, pie and gravy.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, bgman said:

How does that work then ? :D

Yours

Pythagorean Triple ( Maffs Teechur )

Well, it's in 3 parts but I've finished half of two thirds of the two part scenic bit.  Ms Ball said I was more than welcome to join her maths class at work after I explained that I got a CSE Grade Four at school.   They made me take it again in the 6th form ( because I wanted to do photography O level and that was part of the conditions) and I got a CSE Grade Four again... so I can do maths to a certain level in a non-existent examination but no higher.  English was better, D at O level first time and E on the resit.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't thought about lighting until I read Jamie's @SouthernRegionSteam article in the September BRM. 

So I ignored everything he said :O and bought a kit from TLC Electrical in Bristol (other branches are available).

334315266_LEDKit.jpg.30b479606b1106d53b39a9bf65061f38.jpg

The self adhesive strip is stuck to an aluminium angled strip, which is then velcroed to the board.  These come with diffusers, which I haven't yet fitted.

725965707_LEDHolderwithDiffuser.jpg.afda5a3cdf9995eb5b06149dd6842679.jpg

Woo Woooooooo

cheers,

Dubs

Edited by Tim Dubya
Chips and geography
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's interesting, I didn't realise you could get angled aluminium like that!

I got it the same time I got the kit Captain, they do several profiles and widths (these were 1 meter for 10mm wide tape but they may have longer lengths).

Very useful bits here, tapes, connectors, psu's etc, the profiles are at the bottom of the page.

I chose a mixture of Warm 3000k and Bright 6000k LED's, the kit comes with a remote so you can switch between the two or use both, all at a different brightness.

380318218_LEDs2.jpg.4c596a753fb47974f40eae6395cdd4da.jpg

Cheers

Dubs

Edited by Tim Dubya
jibba-jabba
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I'll let you off, Tim!
And hey, you didn't ignore all my advice; you bought local, got some nice aluminimum profiles with diffusers, and didn't go for RGB LEDs (huzzah!).
Seriously though, you should be perfectly OK with that. My RGB tape I stupidly bought years ago was a fairly similar design (albeit a cr@p version with a humming transformer and very dodgy wiring), but this looks like a more refined version with what appears to be more sensible cabling. And as it's been bought from a local shop I'd certainly have a lot more faith in it than something bought on Amazon etc. like I did!

I actually use a dual warm white/cool white LED panel for lighting up videos, so bi-colour lighting can indeed be very useful. Just be wary that if it's anything like my panel, I would imagine the maximum brightness would be with the colour temperature in the middle; where both warm white and cool white LEDs are on. That said, I'd expect that to be the setting you use most anyway as it will be a more neutral colour.

I assume that's one lighting run situated right at the front of the layout? Looks surprisingly adequate at the moment, but I'm sure you'll be able to add another run should you need to in the future. Looks great to my eyes either way!

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

I assume that's one lighting run situated right at the front of the layout? Looks surprisingly adequate at the moment, but I'm sure you'll be able to add another run should you need to in the future. Looks great to my eyes either way!

Hi Jamie,

That's correct, with just the single strip in the profile at the very top in the front of the boards.  There is room, and enough tape left from the kit, to do a second run on each half of the scenic area if it turns out it's not bright enough, leaving a meter or so to light the fiddle yard. Failing that, I can use your "calculator" in BRM to get the right strip for my transformer etc.

Cheers

Dubs

Edited by Tim Dubya
Coffee
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Woo woo!  (I don't know the diseasel for that I'm afraid) 

80562264_D2222Bod.jpg.625d47a4952eddcd547a3f26ee283fd1.jpg

Part 2 is scheduled to arrive at work between 16:30-17:30 (I usually slope off 16:30ish, so this could look like overtime :wink_mini:)

Arrived @ 16:50 

D6331.jpg.345e81dea8f04048d4224d3f3410a65c.jpg

Oh and a mouse has been eating the remnants of the S.H.A.R.T. (which is nice).

261556191_MouseSHART.jpg.28738c3406649adba67ad257bbb8ed1f.jpg

Edited by Tim Dubya
New toy
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Bit more inspiration and information turned up today.  There's even a picture of a syp 22 on an officer's special ;)

1888967702_WroeBudeBranch.png.7351d1989ca00aa1018a877c66c921a8.png

Counting down to payday, so I can order the pleye wood for the trainset shelfy thing.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Counting down to payday, so I can order the pleye wood for the trainset shelfy thing.

Be patient dear boy, good things come to those who wait. and it'll give you more time to change your ideas !

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Right then, this could just be a dead-ender (as I can't find the bu99er) but does anyone know the provenance of the Lytchett Manor Models yard crane?

2123964011_Lychett4542YardCrane.jpg.29dbbae72c4e3d2f848c4f3c66bb751d.jpg

It doesn't really matter as rule 1 applies but suitable for an ex-LSWR yard?

Edited by Tim Dubya
guacamole and spellin' and more spellin'
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Right then, this could just be a dead-ender (as I can't find the bu99er) but does anyone know the provenance of the Lychett Manor Models yard crane?

2123964011_Lychett4542YardCrane.jpg.29dbbae72c4e3d2f848c4f3c66bb751d.jpg

It doesn't really matter as rule 1 applies but suitable for an ex-LSWR yard?

Has a whiff of the Midland Railway to me.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Has a whiff of the Midland Railway to me.

After a bit of a good old RMweb search I found something like what I want, so apparently the Mike's Models L&Y yard crane is a pretty close match.  Thing is, Holt Model Railways don't make them anymore so the tale goes, which means an eBay search now and again.

As I said rule one applies (and I can't find the Lytchett crane ATM anyway).

Cheers

Dubs

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don't normally post these sort of things to social media in the daytime, let alone sober but...

I have wood!

1655228865_IveGotWood.jpg.fc13257dca60b44a4e355c69f2401ec9.jpg

Oh and some sharp pointy hard things to stick in stuff!

164535839_HardSharpThings.jpg.d2bde19a32803f630ad63b9836d63cde.jpg

Which cost twice as much as said wood, so I'd better behave.

That is all, you may go back to standing by to stand by :good:

Edited by Tim Dubya
toast
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2