• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Nick C said:

Something I discovered recently, although you probably already know - the sharp pointy hard things often aren't supplied fully sharpened, so may need to be sharpened before use.

They will generally be supplied ground but not honed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

They will generally be supplied ground but not honed.

I bought a honing guide and stone a while back to sharpen some chisels I got in Wickes years ago.  Pointless exercise, as it turns out they were made of cheese and can't keep an edge at all (does steel go off?).  

I think I paid about £95 for that set from Axminster Tools.  We'll see if I can use them later.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

I bought a honing guide and stone a while back to sharpen some chisels I got in Wickes years ago.  Pointless exercise, as it turns out they were made of cheese and can't keep an edge at all (does steel go off?).  

I think I paid about £95 for that set from Axminster Tools.  We'll see if I can use them later.

No, steel doesn't "go off". If it's the wrong steel it will never be sharp. If it's the right steel it will last for ever. I have some wood chisels from Marples of Sheffield that were my Dad's and I don't know how long he had them. I suspect that they are probably about 70 years old now and they hold an edge beautifully.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the Woodworking UK Facebook group mention them often but of course I didn't listen.  I think the steel isn't as good as your dad's set was these days, folks seam to love Narex but them's not for (I was going to say bodgers) wood murders.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Look what you basterds have done to me!

Only bought for the picture of the "Widcombe Expressway" in Bath, aka Rossiter Road... honest.

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Look what you basterds have done to me!

488057313_IMG_20211113_1118454212.jpg.ed1abe570ce9cb781db9f87a6bb97e6f.jpg

Only bought for the picture of the "Widcombe Expressway" in Bath, aka Rossiter Road.

How did you know I used to pull pints ? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...