'Industrial locomotives and railways of...' series by Gordon Edgar

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

Just acquired the latest in the series by Gordon Edgar, Industrial Locomotives and Railways of the Midlands '.

Absolutely superb, I think the best yet for the quality of the images and the types of locomotives and installations covered, though as a Midlander myself I might be a tad biased!

The emphasis is on historic scenes rather than modern recreations, which is great for those of us working on industrial themed layouts, and a good mix of colour and b/w photographs, well-captioned, and narrow as well as standard gauge.

The geographical coverage is quite wide, from Derbyshire down to Gloucestershire, and as with other volumes in the series the book is divided into sections covering different industries and installations.

What I especially like about Edgar's books is the focus is on not just locomotives but the wider industrial railway scenes, which makes these books such a valuable resource for modelling.

All the best,

Keith

• Like 1

Agreed, having long been an admirer of Gordon's photos on Flickr, I've bought each of these books when they've come out.

Whilst this book says it's the fifth in the series, I'm 99.9% certain it's the fourth to be published. Just checked the publisher's website and they've got IL&R of the North West down for release in April 2018 and says it's the fifth book so I'm guessing it's a typo in the Midlands book.

No criticism intended, just a slight panic that I'd missed one!

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, having long been an admirer of Gordon's photos on Flickr, I've bought each of these books when they've come out.

Whilst this book says it's the fifth in the series, I'm 99.9% certain it's the fourth to be published. Just checked the publisher's website and they've got IL&R of the North West down for release in April 2018 and says it's the fifth book so I'm guessing it's a typo in the Midlands book.

No criticism intended, just a slight panic that I'd missed one!

Cheers,

Andrew

I think there's also a book covering Cumbria, which I haven't got, but I do have the other four.

They are absolutely superb.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What I found interesting in the East of England book was the coverage of the Boston Docks line, with it's sold-out-of-service 08. Superb!

Living in East Anglia all my life I thought I knew all the industrial sites in the area. Until I bought this book! Not just standard shots of "yet another industrial loco" but as has been said coverage of the "scene" too.

Stu

• Like 2

Bought one, then gradually building up the whole set.  Superb books, good pictures and informative, reliable captions.

To me the only downside is discovering so many missed opportunities due to lack of information and paucity of coverage in contemporary magazines.

• 5 months later...

The sixth book in this series, 'The North West of England' (excluding Cumbria) is now out. It has sections on the Manchester Ship Canal And Trafford Park railways, and the Port of Preston, as well as chapters covering steel etc. Up to the usual standard, and well worth getting.

Rob

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a quick heads up that the seventh volume - Yorkshire - was released earlier in the month.

I can't comment on the contents yet as I've only just placed an order.  Don't tell anyone, but Books Etc are doing a very good deal on-line (direct rather than as Amazon market place).  (Usual disclaimers apply).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 19/07/2018 at 23:58, south_tyne said:

Is there a North East volume in this series?

Cheers,

David

As from April 2019, there has been.

(Hadn't realised that my last posting here was over a year ago - Scotland just ordered).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Just a quick reminder that the final volume - Wales - was released yesterday.

Hopefully my pre-ordered copy is on its way...

Splendid; thanks for the reminder, just ordered one to complete the set - I know there's some stunning shots in this one.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/04/2020 at 12:04, AY Mod said:

Splendid; thanks for the reminder, just ordered one to complete the set - I know there's some stunning shots in this one.

I'm hoping mine is in a package due from Titfield (via Mallingford) next week.

• Like 2

I got my copy of the Wales book in the post this week... very, very dangerous books these.  Every page a modellable prototype!  I ended up getting the whole set of these books over the last 12 months, Gordon Edgar is to be praised for these very accessible and interesting volumes as they're fantastic glimpses into this vanished world.  The thing which has surprised me is that even into the 90's and early 2000's there were still quite a few industrial locomotives in use; I only wish I'd realised at the time and sought a few out to photograph myself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks for the reminder. Don’t know how many I’ve got, but quite a few. I think I’ll check whether I’ve missed any. I’ve got an Amazon voucher that someone got for my birthday. I don’t like buying from them, but as I have a voucher I’d better use it. I hope they will be paying a decent corporation tax bill this year with all the sales they are getting at the moment. 
Regards Robert

• RMweb Gold

For those interested in the Wales volume the publisher has a special purchase offer at the moment

https://www.amberley-books.com/industrial-locomotives-railways-of-wales-9781445649443.html

Over the years I've bought every one, a nice collection and perfect for modelling inspiration.

Cheers,

Keith

• Thanks 1