Springburn Sidings

Alcanman

In my last layout thread 'Websters Sidings Mk 2', I mentioned that another small shunting layout was being planned. I've continued the same theme as before, ie.

small wagonload freight trains inspired by EWS Enterprise operations. As before, traffic is mostly bottled water delivered to the warehouse in VGA vans and steel

products with hardstanding provided for unloading.

For the trackplan, I revisited my old 1980s Speedlink era 'Springburn Yard' plan and imagined that in the 21st century, the track had been rationalised resulting in one siding being removed

and the track along the front truncated to become a 'kick-back' siding. However, the original warehouse and hard-standing remaining intact.

post-7898-0-92164800-1507219610_thumb.jpg

As usual the layout measures 9ft x 15ins. I've started laying track and placed a few warehouses. This is how it looks so far.

post-7898-0-88206000-1507219721_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-15034000-1507219748_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 13

Thanks for the kind comments.

Track has now been glued in place and wiring completed. Locos tested and all running smoothly and slowly for shunting.

The kick back siding will be used for loco stabling and the occasional engineer's wagon or two.

post-7898-0-92777000-1507552390_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-13975500-1507552427_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Springburn Sidings is no more.  :sad_mini2:

However, I'm currently planning another small layout which will probably feature a small wagon repair depot and a stabling point. Similar to Tees Yard WRD but using a fictitious location.

Meanwhile, I've added another loco to my small fleet. Colas 47727 'Rebecca' fitted with correct oval buffers, Legomanbiffo sound and weathered by 'Lees Locos'

post-7898-0-52314600-1527330350_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-53985700-1527330390_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing to plan a new layout and hope to start building in the autumn. Meantime, I do have an old layout on which I can run trains.  

I believe 60007 is still currently active with DB Cargo.

post-7898-0-55332700-1529053080_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've recently been trying out weathering washes from AK Interactive. Their products are mainly aimed at military modellers, however, they offer a 3 pack of washes for railway modellers.

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/trains-locomotive-wagon-weathering-set-ak-interactive-ak-7000

I tried out the washes on this mundane Bachmann OCA with quite pleasing results. The underframe also received a light coat of Humbrol dark brown acrylic spray.

post-7898-0-14905900-1529581668_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-60615000-1529581694_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Steve. Yes, I used layers using all 3 washes that come with the AK Interactive pack.

Firstly, I used 'neutral grey' all over the wagon body which was mostly wiped off leaving dark grey deposits in the panel corners etc.

Secondly, I used 'streaking grime' brushed on vertically and lastly 'rust streaks' again brushed on vertically.

The washes are enamel based and very easy to work with.  I followed techniques used by military modellers.

Very happy with the results and I'll be using AK products in future.

Mal

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 1

Looking great so far. It's a shame Springburn sidings is over but out with the old and in with the new, in your case an exciting new layout. I was wondering, are those fabulous warehouses scratch built because i'm in need for some just like it. Maybe you can sell them  :jester: cheers

Rory

Hi Steve. Yes, I used layers using all 3 washes that come with the AK Interactive pack.

Firstly, I used 'neutral grey' all over the wagon body which was mostly wiped off leaving dark grey deposits in the panel corners etc.

Secondly, I used 'streaking grime' brushed on vertically and lastly 'rust streaks' again brushed on vertically.

The washes are enamel based and very easy to work with.  I followed techniques used by military modellers.

Very happy with the results and I'll be using AK products in future.

Mal

Thanks for that Mal, I might give them a go.

Steve.

Looking great so far. It's a shame Springburn sidings is over but out with the old and in with the new, in your case an exciting new layout. I was wondering, are those fabulous warehouses scratch built because i'm in need for some just like it. Maybe you can sell them  :jester: cheers

Rory

Thanks. The warehouses were kitbashed from Pikestuff and Walthers kits.

I may re-use them on the next layout as I'm now thinking of doing something similar to Springburn Sidings - an EWS Enterprise distribution depot.

• Like 1