• Administrators

Below is what you can expect in BRM November. The Digital Edition is available to download NOW!

The print copy goes on-sale on Thursday, October 12th. We'll also be selling copies at next weekend's National Festival of Railway Modelling in Peterborough.

post-14186-0-11026300-1507285919.jpg

ON THIS MONTH’S BUMPER BRM TV

·         Kensal Green layout

·         How to build an O gauge Engine Shed

·         Howard Helps: We visit a reader in need of help with static grass on his loft layout

·         Reader Layout: A tour round Graham Foulston’s home layout

·         Extras Menu: Phil Parker repairs a GMC rail-going truck from WW2 layout ‘Overlord’

INSIDE THE MAGAZINE

4 GREAT MODEL RAILWAYS

·         Dolgelley (OO) – a rural Welsh layout with a more industrial scene

·         Rosamund Street (OO) – An early 1970s South Wales layout by Brian Rolley

·         Melin Llechi (SM32) – Rustons roam and slate details abound in Tony’ Hill’s scenic layout

·         Staly Vegas (N) – a diminutive model railway packed with Yorkshire character

EXPERT MODELLING ADVICE

·         Build a lineside signal box

·         Create a slate building

·         Weather a Hunslet Tank

·         Make a Munitions store

·         Assemble a signal box interior

·         Painting Big Bertha

·         Introducing the new BRM Cakebox Challenge

LATEST NEWS & REVIEWS

·         Heljan’s Class 50 in O, Revolution’s APT-E in N plus loads more news

·         Reviewed: Hornby Class 50 – D400 Special Edition

·         Reviewed: Train Tech SSP1 Automatic Signal Starter Pack

·         Reviewed: Hornby 20 Ton ‘Toad’ Brake Van

·         Reviewed: Minerva Models 57XX/8750 0-6-0 PT

PLUS…

·         Interview: Revolution Trains

·         Prototype Inspiration: Class 50

·         The BRM Team’s Modelling Month

·         Tail Lamp by Phil Parker

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

BRM Cakebox Challenge ???

In certain places - with certain people - I suspect this might be easy in theory, but rather more difficult in practice:

"Try and find a cake box that hasn't had its original contents removed." (Allegedly.)

Sorry - I think I might be thinking of a different challenge.

Perhaps, I should be thinking along the lines of a scrapyard scene - complete with tank loco that's just had the signature "oxy gear" treatment - brick wall at the back with "where's Th*m*s?" scrawled on it - and note saying: "Put the kettle on!"

Of course, I might have completely the wrong idea here … .

On reflection, I suspect I might not be about to enter this challenge … .

Seriously though, best of luck to everyone who enters this challenge.

Regards,

Huw.

That image is crying out for a caption competition!

The panel assembles for the "Schrodingers Cake" event.......

(States include: There, Not There, In Phils tum)

Edited by Hroth

My subscription copy arrived at lunchtime.  A quick glance through reveals much of interest.  I do wonder what brought about the sudden fashion for interviewing contributors though.  It is one more thing that makes it less easy to differentiate BRM from the competition and to be honest I don't go a bundle on it.

I have some points of detail.  The article on weathering the J94 does not tell us the name of the author and it is necessary to return to the contents page to learn that it is Michael Russell.  The factfile for Dolgelley Goods Yard credits the words to Geoff Taylor but as the article is in the form of an interview with Andy York this is not the whole truth.  Finally [for now!], the feature on page 92 about the new rigid frame bogies from Dart Castings is illustrated by a photo of a coach compensation unit [CCU] which is anything but rigid.  I know it isn't a rigid bogie because Dart gave me an early prototype to test-assemble!

#attention to detail

Chris 

On the back of the DVD case is a reference to "100+ pages of quality modelling".  I presume that this is supposed to be per issue and not the 13 issues per annum.

Then I started doing sums.  If you include the covers the new issue has 156 pages.  70 of those are ads so that's 86 pages of quality modelling until you deduct three pages of prototype information about the Class 50s, twelve pages of Goods Inwards, two pages of contents and one of editorial.  If I were being really harsh I would also deduct the two pages of readers' letters and one page of listings, giving 65.  BRM, you might want to think about this.

Chris

The factfile for Dolgelley Goods Yard credits the words to Geoff Taylor but as the article is in the form of an interview with Andy York this is not the whole truth.  

They are Geoff's words; I sent questions over as there were certain angles I wished to see included as this issue had a bit of a 'build-it' theme and Geoff answered the questions posed. It's wholly truthful.

Guest eddie reffin

No subs copy in Inverness yet. The WHS at the station seemed to have them so I guess the Royal Mail still have custody of my copy unfortunately.