Cakebox Challenge Chat

Phil Parker

At BRM, we love building railway models. In this hobby, getting your hands dirty is a huge part of the fun. With that in mind, we thought it's time to run a model making competition. But one with a difference.

We aren't asking anyone to build a layout. For most people that would be far too great an undertaking. We wanted something that was open to all. Something that wouldn't involve too much space, or time or cost.

So, we invite you to take part on the first ever BRM cake box challenge.

The rules are simple enough. Entrants must build a diorama that can fit in a standard 8-inch square cardboard cake box – the sort available from shops that sell cookery items. You don't display the model in the box (unless you want to) it's simply a guide to the maximum size, a bit like the cages you find at airports to show how large your suitcase can be.

Your diorama can be any scale, any era, any prototype, in fact anything you like. The only condition is that it must include at least two railway related items. These could be anything you like, from locomotives to a tail lamp.

Judging will be based on photos you supply which will be posted on RMweb. We'll ask you to provide a description with a brief idea how you made your model. The models will then be voted on by visitors to the forum this time next year. That way, an imaginative and appealing scene will stand as much chance of winning as the finest scale model with every rivet in place.

We'll be doing our best to help you out with ideas and inspiration. On this months DVD I'll show that it would be possible to work in every scale from N to G. There is now an area on RMweb to discuss progress and swap ideas. We'll also be happy to take photos of your models at any of the BRM shows if you don't feel up to snapping them yourselves.

The BRM team will be building their own scenes during the year and writing them up in the magazine. You can see our results at shows and tell us how you can do better!

attachicon.gifRMweb box.jpg

More details, and the first Cake Box build are in the November 2017 issue of BRM.

The cover of the Nov BRM gives the teaser away - shouldn't you also be able to see the overturned lorry, or at least the spilled stone load?

No cake for you!

• Administrators

Ref the 2 railway related items caveat; could that be 2 sleepers, or would it need to be a sleeper and a piece of rail (Not attached to each other). Would a wagon on track count as 2 separate items?

Wagon on track. Certainly.

2 sleepers, we'd let it go. If either sleeper has a rail chair attached then sleeper and rail chair definitely counts. Likewise sleeper and piece of rail. 

As you can see, the "railway item" bar is set very low.

The cover of the Nov BRM gives the teaser away - shouldn't you also be able to see the overturned lorry, or at least the spilled stone load?

No cake for you!

You've no idea how hard I looked for a suitable lorry. Ideally, I need a plastic kit. If I ever find one, I will be adding it to the scene. Then I can have cake!

• RMweb Gold

Wagon on track. Certainly.

2 sleepers, we'd let it go. If either sleeper has a rail chair attached then sleeper and rail chair definitely counts. Likewise sleeper and piece of rail. 

As you can see, the "railway item" bar is set very low.

You've no idea how hard I looked for a suitable lorry. Ideally, I need a plastic kit. If I ever find one, I will be adding it to the scene. Then I can have cake!

I trust this doesn't mean some "stopgap" measure - like a secondhand diecast, with a "code 3" repaint and "Mr. Kipling" on the side?

As for what qualifies as "railway items" I hope you draw the line at 2 Pandrol clips.

Anyway, there are plenty of other things recognisably related to rail transport, but with little or no connection to full sized trains. These include one of my personal favourite subjects - trams - which might easily turn out to be foreign.

In fact, one book I've got at home - about the Tatra T3 trams - includes photos of some very interesting cameos / dioramas, which I could be tempted to copy using models of other makes / designs of tram (mainly because I don't have any kits of T3s). Time will tell … .

Edited by Huw Griffiths

Guest Midland Mole

I have three ideas that I would like to build, so will probably build all three and see which one I am most happy with at the end. :)

Alex

• Like 3

I had cause to bend young Mr Parker's ear today about this cake box mullarkey, hells teeth it's hard enough getting any work done on my layout, with a Cameo to build as well, now there's yet another distraction!

In true Stubby fashion I already have 4 potentials, one in 1/12th scale, one for a cake box in a cake box, one 'sort of' full size railway, and best of all a cake in a cake box.

Like others once the ideas crystalise a bit further I will set up separate posts. First thing seems to follow others and see how much room there is by building a box to play with ideas.

In the mean time nothing constructive will get done on my layout, thanks guys.

Peter

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

In the mean time nothing constructive will get done on my layout, thanks guys.

Please try not to worry about it too much - some of us have given up on anything constructive ever getting done on our layouts - well, ever building layouts, if the truth be known.

Let's face it - all these comments on railway modelling forum sites don't write themselves.

(Wait a second - that might not be quite the intention behind this site - I'm sure there'll be somebody along soon, to "read us the riot act".)

Huw.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Blimey this thread has reached page three already I fear that the rules will not fit into the cake-box......

I know - and some of us haven't even seen the magazine yet.

I guess I'll just have to decide whether to buy a copy, when it appears in my local newsagent ... decisions ... decisions :scratchhead:.

Of course, all of this would have been so much easier if it had been a different challenge, like ****************************. I guess there's just no pleasing some people :jester:.

(Joking aside, it's starting to sound like it might be a good issue - not all filled up with one scale I'm never likely to model in  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  ... .)

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

I shouldn't use concrete, its too heavy, the bottom will fall out of the box.

Fair comment - although I have heard of some rather unlikely sounding materials being used to make models.

If nothing else, I guess it might make a change from some of the foams that various individuals - and companies - have used over the years.

Huw.

• Administrators

Luv a challenge. Plenty of time. Now I assume as long as it all packs up in the box then that is OK.

Not thinking small scale, in fact thinking big scale, and able to run a train.

No, the diorama has to fit into the box with the lid on. No bits sticking out the sides (I show how I avoid this in the magazine article). We'd accept a little rule bending with a tall building that splits for the lid to fit, but only just.

If we allowed models that could be packed up into the box, someone could chuck the trains and track from a substantial N gauge layout in and enter, that's not the idea. Eventually, I'd like to see some of these models gathered together at a show in the future, easy if they are all the same size but impossible if people are spreading out everywhere.

Big scale though - certainly - I'm planning a garden scale scene in the future and have already started work on a 7mm one.

• Like 2

A practice run by the Lady W.

Grandson#1's  3rd birthday last week. He was very specific on his requirements.

I wouldn't mention it to herself, but I've been into trains since I was five and been married to her for 40+years but she still does ladders instead of track......

It was good eating though

post-10875-0-37766100-1507557507_thumb.jpg

Now, we need to reduce the size a bit, and perhaps, as more than one box is allowed make the two layers as separate cakes then.....

Steve W

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

No, the diorama has to fit into the box with the lid on. No bits sticking out the sides (I show how I avoid this in the magazine article).

I think you have definitely opened the door for the inflatable layout, Phil, as long as it packs down to 8" x 8" when deflated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A practice run by the Lady W.

Grandson#1's  3rd birthday last week. He was very specific on his requirements.

I wouldn't mention it to herself, but I've been into trains since I was five and been married to her for 40+years but she still does ladders instead of track......

It was good eating though

attachicon.gifcake.jpg

Now, we need to reduce the size a bit, and perhaps, as more than one box is allowed make the two layers as separate cakes then.....

Steve W

CTMK asked me to say that she really likes this, too.