Cakebox Challenge Chat

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold

Of course I can order via Amazon Cakeboxen in the UK, only in Germany there is no 8-inch Cakeboxen. 

I can sympathize with that Helmut. We don't really use that kind of cakebox here in Denmark either. This is a typical cakebox for Danish pastry. I was planning to use that until the rules were revealed. Convenient, no?  :locomotive:

post-738-0-21168200-1512424121.jpg

• Like 1

I also think the standard cakebox is not suitable as a transportbox for a perhaps valuable diorama. Scalemodelscenery already manufactures a 200 mm base diorama from MDF, why not also a transportbox made of MDF, that would certainly be good. I have a CNC machine and I could also mill it myself. Laser cut, such a diorama with box of course would not be bad either.

• Administrators

Cake Box challenge on the road - Digitrains tomorrow

I've been performing some running repairs on my first Cake Box diorama in preparation for a visit to Digitrains open day tomorrow. 

The guys in the shop have been cakeboxing and are keen to show you what they do, as well as me you get scenic demos during the day. 

So, please drop by and say hello if you are in the Lincoln area.

Edited by Phil Parker
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can sympathize with that Helmut. We don't really use that kind of cakebox here in Denmark either. This is a typical cakebox for Danish pastry. I was planning to use that until the rules were revealed. Convenient, no?  :locomotive:

attachicon.gifpastry001.jpg

Rather like that. Looks like you could fit in quite a lot of custard.

Rob.

• Like 1

Having seen the models on display today at Digitrains, I am really up for the challenge, (I'd better be, considering I now have 3 bases including the free one courtesy of Digitrains). 

You really can use the challenge to try out anything, from tree making, ballasting, water effects, buildings, even handmade track if you wish. I have ideas for 2 out of the 3 bases I have, I just need to get on and start building :)

You know, I was so busy talking that I never actually thought to take pictures on my phone. Rest assured though, the models will be appearing in a forthcoming issue of BRM and will be much better quality than what I would have taken. My old phone would not have done them justice in the slightest.

• Administrators

Cake Box on tour - Digitrains

An excellent day at Digitrains yesterday with Nicole and team. I arrived and was shown my table in the garage - complete with tea facilities and biscuits!

Digitrains cake box.jpg

I'd brought along my first two boxes along with a third I'd planned to work on during the day. On the table already were a couple of model built by the in-house scenery expert Paul, and a pile of MDF square diorama bases to be given away free. 

Bridge_clean_rmweb.jpg

waterfall_clean_rmweb.jpg

Once the doors opened, we had plenty of interest and loads of chat. 1pm arrived before I noticed and the rest of the day went pretty quickly too.  There are several people newly converted to cake box building. Several are working on layouts already and see the benefits of taking a little modelling holiday with a small side project. Others just want to try a new technique and see the benefits of working in a small space - if it goes wrong you've not wasted much time or money.

I'mn going to lean on Paul to describe the methods used on his models in a future BRM.

While in the shop, I couldn't resist a good look at the fantastic model of Lincoln Central station being built in the back. It's a bit large for a cake box though!

LincolnCentral.jpg

Anyway, there are bases left so if you are anywhere near Lincoln, drop in and I'm sure they will be happy to let you have one.

• Like 11

Cake Box on tour - Digitrains

An excellent day at Digitrains yesterday with Nicole and team. I arrived and was shown my table in the garage - complete with tea facilities and biscuits!

attachicon.gifDigitrains cake box.jpg

I'd brought along my first two boxes along with a third I'd planned to work on during the day. On the table already were a couple of model built by the in-house scenery expert Paul, and a pile of MDF square diorama bases to be given away free. 

attachicon.gifBridge_clean_rmweb.jpg

attachicon.gifwaterfall_clean_rmweb.jpg

Once the doors opened, we had plenty of interest and loads of chat. 1pm arrived before I noticed and the rest of the day went pretty quickly too.  There are several people newly converted to cake box building. Several are working on layouts already and see the benefits of taking a little modelling holiday with a small side project. Others just want to try a new technique and see the benefits of working in a small space - if it goes wrong you've not wasted much time or money.

I'mn going to lean on Paul to describe the methods used on his models in a future BRM.

While in the shop, I couldn't resist a good look at the fantastic model of Lincoln Central station being built in the back. It's a bit large for a cake box though!

attachicon.gifLincolnCentral.jpg

Anyway, there are bases left so if you are anywhere near Lincoln, drop in and I'm sure they will be happy to let you have one.

Thanks for the pictures Phil.

Meanwhile, I also solved the challenge with the Cakebox by making a 1.5mm MDF myself, as I reported in my thread. On Tuesday I measured my role model in the mine.

• 1 month later...

The locked BRM Cake Box challenge thread mentions "this time next year" for voting to commence, which suggests that entries should be ready to be voted on by the 1st October 2018* at the latest...

So no procrastination!!! :jester:

* No doubt there will be reminders as October approaches...

Edited by Hroth

• 2 weeks later...

Phil, has there been any updates on entry time or where on the BRM site to post the final entry?

We have only just got the November 2017 issue of BRM last week. we have to wait 2 to 3 months for any modelling Magazines to appear in the newsagents.

It is a good job I follow your blog, that is where I found out about the comp.

Thanks. 

• Administrators

Good point. We need to firm things up.

I've had a chat with Andy (he's got to set up the system) and we'll be asking people to submit formal entries in October. You'll need a couple of photos showing the finished model and a third showing it in a cake box so we all know it fits.

Alongside this, you provide a  brief write-up which can include a link to a build thread if you like. 

Andy will set this up in the voting area.

Voting will take place over 2 weeks in November. RMwebbers will be asked to vote for 5 models, ranking them in order of preference. 

There will be an overall winner at the end of this. In addition, we are working on running some judged competitions within the big one. More on these as we arrange them, but basically, the number of entries has surprised us and so it must be possible to run to more than one prize.

I am overwhelmed by the attitude of people on this Cake Box Challenge blog, I have had helpful hints, tips and assistance by other competitors, telling me how to do things, ideas for improving my entry and displaying my pictures. In a normal competition world you would not get this.

So, a big thank you to all the people who have given ideas to everyone else, this is a testament to the attitude of Railway modellers towards each other.

I don't care if I don't win, I have learned so much from looking at other posts, reading the ideas and looking at other peoples entries

THANK YOU ALL.

• Like 14

I think most people are treating it as a challenge, not a competition. Personally I don't like competitions, especially ones where the winner is determined by personal preference. Wit a hallenge it is me versus the challenge, wheras with a competition,there can be a temptation to cheat (as happens in real life) or for judges to be biased. Tends to put me off competitions, but I am always up for a challenge.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...