Cakebox Challenge Chat

Phil Parker

I could just fit two items I need to scratchbuild for my Cameo Competition entry into that. Perhaps it's worth entering in case I don't get anywhere near finishing the Cameo layout in time. And it's a little diorama to practice some of the techniques for the layout on. It would be 7mm scale :).

Just as long as I don't need to buy a magazine, as I'm trying to get rid of clutter, not acquire more ;).

• Administrators

Just as long as I don't need to buy a magazine, as I'm trying to get rid of clutter, not acquire more ;).

Just buy the magazine and take the pages out if you must, or even recycle the whole thing. Who do you think is paying for all of this?

• Administrators

Thinking about it, ordinary card cake boxes seem a bit flimsy.

Is it permitted to build your own cake box from 4mm ply?

Or use that expanded blue foamy stuff that folk like for baseboards these days?

The model just has to fit in the box, it doesn't need to live in it. The box is not structural.

And you can use anything you like as a baseboard. I've used both foamboard and polystyrene so far.

• Like 1

Are we limited to just one entry, or is it as many cakes as can be consumed (with or without editorial assistance)?

I've had ideas sleeting through my brain  all afternoon, like Leonard da Quirm on a bad day.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just buy the magazine and take the pages out if you must, or even recycle the whole thing. Who do you think is paying for all of this?

Umm ... not sure.

Anyway, I'm surprised there wasn't a reference to one way of avoiding the clutter of printed magazines.

(Cue someone from Warners, here to tell us all about subscriptions.)

Returning to the challenge, I could imagine some people using it as a way of getting rid of clutter.

Got some small bits and pieces lining a cupboard? Find a way of using them - and throw them in the box - well, that's the general idea, anyway!

• Administrators

Are we limited to just one entry, or is it as many cakes as can be consumed (with or without editorial assistance)?

I've had ideas sleeting through my brain  all afternoon, like Leonard da Quirm on a bad day.....

Nope, there are no limits to the number of entries you can build.

And as someone else mentioned, it's a great way of using up bits and pieces!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cake disposal services will be offered at all Warners shows. See me for details.

I think I'll pass on that "offer". In all honesty, I can't see any visitors from my part of the world requiring this "service" when it comes to Welsh cakes.

They're small enough to start with (and a tasty snack for anyone standing reasonably near certain magazine and demo stands at these shows). Anyway, being a similar height to a certain member of the Warners team, I know exactly how far away to stand. ... .

(Only joking - I wouldn't dream of pulling a stunt like that.)

More to the point, I wouldn't be too worried about the risk of disappearing "health foods" (so called because they make me feel good). Let's face it - I've got very quick reactions (even when I'm tired).

On a more serious note, I can remember my industrial training with the CEGB (31 years ago - ouch!). An engineer told me how, a number of years earlier, he'd "sorted out" one guy who'd stolen some cakes he'd taken in for lunch. The next batch were put in exactly the same place as the previous ones. However, there was one slight change - the new batch contained an extra "mystery" ingredient (which turned out to be a laxative - oops!). For some reason, he didn't get any more bother ... .

Anyway, I'm not suggesting for one second that anyone would need similar treatment these days.

Turning to the challenge itself, it's encouraging to see that some people have already come out with viable ideas - which have every chance of being built.

It's probably just as well that I haven't recently come across any cheap secondhand bodyshells - of a stylized, blue, tank engine, with a damaged front buffer beam (and I haven't been looking). It might be a lot of fun attacking the things with a hacksaw - then finding somewhere to hide a flashing LED and a buzzer - but I'm not sure how many of BRM's younger readers would forgive me if I were to throw together a "Sodor Metals" diorama ... .

(Don't worry, kids. I wasn't seriously planning on cutting up "Toby", "Mavis", "Daisy" or "Diesel". I like tram engines - and I've been told that the other three might be really useful.)

Joking aside, even though I've never had kids, I wouldn't set out to do anything which might deter the next generation of railway modellers. No point in that, at all.

It will, however, be interesting to see the entries that actually get built - I hope some of the best find their way onto the Warners stand at some future shows.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• RMweb Gold

Any reason why we aren't allowed to ignore certain topics, like this one?

Just as well smoking has gone out of fashion, or we'd soon be getting cajoled into building layouts in fag packets. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Any reason why we aren't allowed to ignore certain topics, like this one?

Just as well smoking has gone out of fashion, or we'd soon be getting cajoled into building layouts in fag packets. :jester:

John

I'm sure there's a few who'd have a bloody good go at that! Z gauge in a fag box (or the box that a bunch of them come in, could work.

Realistically I don't think you could get much smaller than the cake box size. I expect that really useful box size might have been better as they're clear and pretty tough.

• Administrators

I'm sure there's a few who'd have a bloody good go at that! Z gauge in a fag box (or the box that a bunch of them come in, could work.

Realistically I don't think you could get much smaller than the cake box size. I expect that really useful box size might have been better as they're clear and pretty tough.

Cake boxes are a nice standard size and really cheap. I love Really Useful boxes, but you end up with quite an array of sizes to chose from and someone would buy the wrong dimensions but right volume and start arguing. 

Also, Cake Box sounds so much funnier.

• Administrators

I think I have an idea....

attachicon.gif20171007_082101.jpg

....i may need to practice building it a few times before next November. You know, so I know I've got it right...

And to be honest, we deliberately haven't specified what materials should be used. While the assumption is plastic, metal, card & wood - chocolate trains are acceptable...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Scrap yard diorama featuring chocolate loco. As the day goes on it gets smaller......

Rob

• Like 2