Cakebox Challenge Chat

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold

No, the diorama has to fit into the box with the lid on. No bits sticking out the sides (I show how I avoid this in the magazine article). 

...but I don't suppose there's anything stopping us from entering a diorama to which we can afterwards - outside of the challenge - add a separate fiddle yard ;-)

Edited by Mikkel

I suppose an inflatable layout is one idea, but I wonder if anyone has considered what a box actually is. Take one of those cake boxes and open it out. You then have a much larger area to work with, just as long as it will fold up and fit in the box. I am not sure if I would actually fit the track to the each face, or create panels which clip tpgether into a box shape, and then go in the cake box.

There is actually quite a lot of space in one of those boxes, which is why I am considering large scale probably Gauge One, using my 3D printed inset track(I know you really like inset track Phil!!). I might look at other large scale/gauges such as SM32. They will have ability to be operated, although I am not sure if the trains would fit in the box! That does not bother me  as the rules only stipulate a diorama .

I then wondered about smaller scales/gauges, which would rattle around in all that space. Answer is smaller boxes fittting into the bigger box. You can fit 8 half size boxes in the same space, each with 6 faces, so each could be a segment of a larger layout.I would probably opt for 16.5mm gauge, for either 1/35, 1/55 or Gn15.

Some might think I am bending the rules a bit, but that does not bother me. It is still a challenge, in fact much more of a challenge. It ticks all the boxes which appeal to me for an interesting project. It will all be a valuable addition to my collection of mini layouts to demonstrate my 3D printed track system.

One of my daughters loves to bake challenging cakes, so I might see if she can bake something special.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Would something like this do?? Did have one somewhere!!

I hope not, but if you want to do Huntley & Palmers, this would make a nice scene, and a change from the Pecketts that everyone (except you and me!) have. You'd need to scratchbuild the loco, but at least it doesn't have as many sticky out bits as a Peckett!

post-7091-0-12087200-1507578379.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators

...but I don't suppose there's anything stopping us from entering a diorama to which we can afterwards - outside of the challenge - add a separate fiddle yard ;-)

None at all. In fact I think that would be a great idea. Don't forget to mention it in your description. 

As a child, I made a sort of static kaleidoscope, following instructions in a magazine. (Scouts?)

You cut the end off a shoebox and replaced it with tracing paper. You cut an inch diameter hole in the other end to look through. Inside you built a model garden, using a mirror to represent a pond, stones, bits of moss, twigs etc. Hold the box so that daylight shines in on the scene through the paper, and view through the little hole.

Using this concept, I think l’ll enter this competition. I’ll call it “sorting the goods” the scene will be the interior of a goods shed, with light in the main coming from the open doors at the far end.

Edited by 28XX
  • Like 3

• Administrators

I suppose an inflatable layout is one idea, but I wonder if anyone has considered what a box actually is. Take one of those cake boxes and open it out. You then have a much larger area to work with, just as long as it will fold up and fit in the box. I am not sure if I would actually fit the track to the each face, or create panels which clip tpgether into a box shape, and then go in the cake box.

There is actually quite a lot of space in one of those boxes, which is why I am considering large scale probably Gauge One, using my 3D printed inset track(I know you really like inset track Phil!!). I might look at other large scale/gauges such as SM32. They will have ability to be operated, although I am not sure if the trains would fit in the box! That does not bother me  as the rules only stipulate a diorama .

I then wondered about smaller scales/gauges, which would rattle around in all that space. Answer is smaller boxes fittting into the bigger box. You can fit 8 half size boxes in the same space, each with 6 faces, so each could be a segment of a larger layout.I would probably opt for 16.5mm gauge, for either 1/35, 1/55 or Gn15.

Some might think I am bending the rules a bit, but that does not bother me. It is still a challenge, in fact much more of a challenge. It ticks all the boxes which appeal to me for an interesting project. It will all be a valuable addition to my collection of mini layouts to demonstrate my 3D printed track system.

One of my daughters loves to bake challenging cakes, so I might see if she can bake something special.

This is sounding like the movie Inception or perhaps an Escher painting - however, the idea is to keep it simple. The box is simply a device for measuring the size of the diorama, a bit like the cages found at airports to see if your bag is too big to go in the cabin. It isn't a philosophical construct, it's a cardboard one.

• Like 2

• Administrators

As a child, I made a sort of static kaleidoscope, following instructions in a magazine. (Scouts?)

You cut the end off a shoebox and replaced it with tracing paper. You cut an inch diameter hole in the other end to look through. Inside you built a model garden, using a mirror to represent a pond, stones, bits of moss, twigs etc. Hold the box so that daylight shines in on the scene through the paper, and view through the little hole.

Building the model inside a box with just a peephole for viewing is perfectly acceptable - and could yield very interesting results...

Building the model inside a box with just a peephole for viewing is perfectly acceptable - and could yield very interesting results...

An ideal solution for Shrodinger and his cat.......

(It'd have to be a very small cat)

An ideal solution for Shrodinger and his cat.......

(It'd have to be a very small cat)

To comply with the rules it would have to be a railway related cat. How about the station in Japan that has a cat as stationmaster?

Can't see why not, putting it on its side the layout would still fit in the box, that's the stipulation.

I spent an hour or so today looking at putting the base at an angle diagonally to get more floor area, but discarded it as putting it in the box meant the sides cramped the design and wouldn't suit what I needed.

Peter

Edited by peter220950

• RMweb Gold

In true Stubby fashion I already have 4 potentials, one in 1/12th scale, one for a cake box in a cake box, one 'sort of' full size railway, and best of all a cake in a cake box.

I'm not quite sure how to take that... as a keen and enthusiastic modeller, or as an idiot who doesn't know when to stop.

Though I do have another idea... a layout in a caravan...

• Administrators

Can I build the model with the 6” x 8” face being the base?

Can't see a problem with this. If there is an 8 by 8 backscene so you can sit it in the box with the lid uppermost as normal, it is inarguably OK.

I am enjoying the imagination on show here, just what we wanted with this competition. Thanks to everyone taking part so far.

To comply with the rules it would have to be a railway related cat. How about the station in Japan that has a cat as stationmaster?

As Flanders and Swann sang:

"No churns, no porter, no cat on a seat,

At Chorlton-######-Hardy or Chester-le-Street."

(Slow Train)

So I don't think there are any insurmountable problems.....

I didn't see the Profanity Bot had blue-pencilled a place name, let alone one from a well known elegy to the railways.  :triniti:

Edited by Hroth

As Flanders and Swann sang:

"No churns, no porter, no cat on a seat,

At Chorlton-######-Hardy or Chester-le-Street."

(Slow Train)

So I don't think there are any insurmountable problems.....

Unless you name your Cakebox Diorama "Chorlton--Hardy", in which case the name on the box won't match it's name on RMweb, and you risk being disqualified :).

Unless you name your Cakebox Diorama "Chorlton-######-Hardy", in which case the name on the box won't match it's name on RMweb, and you risk being disqualified :).

Who would have thought the Profanity Bots would Bowdlerise a suburb of Greater Manchester?  I mean the place even has a golf club, how genteel is that???

btw, despite Flanders and Swann, the station remained open until 1967.  It was then resurrected for the Manchester Metrolink tram system, so at least its still rail-served.

Ok, some bot research, apologies to whoever catches sight of this....

Great tits like coconuts

Blue Tits

Coal Tits

SEE!!!!  It'll allow ornithologist filth, but Northern Towns are VERBOTEN!!!!

As for the cakebox, its well established that more than one submission is possible, so I can't say that "The Cat of Chorlton-######-Hardy" won't make an appearance, possibly as a peephole....

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

How about a special class for people who want to build the layout through the peephole....I'll get my coat..

I'm not quite sure how to take that... as a keen and enthusiastic modeller, or as an idiot who doesn't know when to stop.

Though I do have another idea... a layout in a caravan...

Has been done in G before..... (layout in a caravan that is, not an idiot that doesn't know when to stop)