Cakebox Challenge Chat

Phil Parker

As an aside, our local division of the NMRA (Little Rhody Division) has at its annual dinner a "One Square Foot" contest (popular voting).  It has become quite popular - especially for those giving something different (scale, era, prototype etc) a go.  A few years ago, my entry was a small diorama centered around the Ratio OO Good Sheet.  Was a very fun exercise in what was for me a new scale/era/prototype.  In short - way fun!

I hope not, but if you want to do Huntley & Palmers, this would make a nice scene, and a change from the Pecketts that everyone (except you and me!) have. You'd need to scratchbuild the loco, but at least it doesn't have as many sticky out bits as a Peckett!

attachicon.gifScan.jpg

I already have! Now you're giving ME an idea....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's interesting that they've even tagged this item on their website - with "cakebox", "cakebox challenge" and "RMweb".

Looks good, though.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

It's interesting that they've even tagged this item on their website - with "cakebox", "cakebox challenge" and "RMweb".

It's no accident. ;)

It's no surprise, either.

I could also see these selling to some people building dioramas in other areas of modelmaking.

It's an ⅛" undersize, making the challenge even harder to squeeze everything in.

Well, it's got to fit inside a box - which might be "imperial" or "metric". There's also the thickness of the MDF (3mm) to take into account.

Saying all this, whether it's of use to you will depend on exactly what you're planning to fit in - how much will actually be in the box - and how much will only be suggested.

Huw.

It's an ⅛" undersize, making the challenge even harder to squeeze everything in.

But at least its certain to fit a standard cakebox!

Did you notice that the suggested tube of glue to stick it together was almost the same price as the baseboard???

• RMweb Gold

But at least its certain to fit a standard cakebox!

Did you notice that the suggested tube of glue to stick it together was almost the same price as the baseboard???

I wonder how much they'd charge for a tube of glue at Poundland ... .

Joking aside, I'd imagine that most people actually buying these plinths for this challenge might already have suitable adhesives.

Anyway, what strikes me as scary is the price of suitable boxes - just bits of thin card, after all - from the places that actually sell this size box. I could imagine some people using homebrew versions.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Justin sent me one of his diorama bases this week and I will have it on the stand this weekend. First impressions are that it clips together well (I haven't glued it yet) and fits the box perfectly.

Cue an article in a future BRM - showing us how to photograph a backdrop / sky, print it out and fix it to the back board, then populate the base. Well, it's either that or a show demo.

Sorry - I should have thought - that sort of thing might be one of the ideas behind the cakebox challenge.

Well, it certainly wasn't going to be about how entrants can provide their own "cake removal service" - even if somebody might have told me that this could be particularly effective a couple of metres in front of the BRM stand at certain shows (or perhaps not). Only saying ... .

Joking aside, it'll be interesting to see how many people enter this challenge - how many are new to entering challenges - and what they all build.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

I note from my magazine, purchased today, that Humbrol are sponsoring the challenge. Does that mean some of their products might be included in the prize/s ?

I could imagine some people finding their portable workstation quite useful.

As for paints, brushes, adhesives etc, various items in their range might appeal to different people - as might various items produced under other brands in the same "stable". If they are indeed providing prizes, it would be interesting to see if winners are offered specific items, or vouchers to be exchanged for "anything in the range up to a specified value".

However, I'd be interested in finding out how many people are entering this challenge (or thinking of entering it) for reasons other than any prize(s) on offer - in the hope of getting their entries on display at a show - to compete against some friends on this site - perhaps even just as a personal challenge.

Huw.

• Like 1

I plan on being a winner in the competition.  I won't win a prize (too many way talented and imaginative people here) but I will win each time I read/see a post with something new on it that I can learn from.  This is what I like most about these things - seeing not only the results of people's efforts, but reading how they did certain things.  Of course, someday wouldn't it be cool to actually be a prize winner?!?

• Like 9

However, I'd be interested in finding out how many people are entering this challenge (or thinking of entering it) for reasons other than any prize(s) on offer - in the hope of getting their entries on display at a show - to compete against some friends on this site - perhaps even just as a personal challenge.

Huw.

I must say, compared with my cobbled together efforts, there are far more accomplished entries about.  I've as much chance as winning anything as spotting a squadron ot Tamworths zipping up the estuary at low level!

I'm just having a bash for the fun of it and as a personal challenge to complete something that looks half right.

Of course, part of it would be half left, but we can leave that to Pedants Weekly....

As an aside, my subscription copy of BRM hasn't arrived yet.  It'll probably turn up tomorrow, on Friday 13th and put the complete mockers on everything!

Edited by Hroth

Huw.

Like the Cameo I enter this sort of think purely to take the opportunity to learn new stuff, and to partake in something with a group of like minded people.

I have already given myself the task of doing some video filming and editing, the first such work since working with 8mm film in the 70's. I'm likely to be getting into Arduino for the Cameo, and there's some different electronics going into one of the other boxes, so not only do I get to 'make stuff', which I like, I get to learn stuff both from my efforts, and from those like mided idiots who have also been sucked into this lunacy.

The only thing about winning these sort of competitions is that you end up with a load of stuff you didn't really want anyway, so it's far from the point of entering, after all someone has to provide the competition for the winners, it might as well be me!

Peter

• Like 2

It would be great if we could have as many as possible exhibited at a show. However, it would require a large table and so people can find theirs easily the cake boxes might have to be put in alphabetical order, even of RMweb usernames.

• RMweb Gold

It would be great if we could have as many as possible exhibited at a show. However, it would require a large table and so people can find theirs easily the cake boxes might have to be put in alphabetical order, even of RMweb usernames.

You make an interesting point.

However, there might be another, offbeat, way of looking at this - do the BRM team actually want entrants to be able to find their entries quickly / easily?

Although this question might sound crazy, there could be a certain logic to it. If you have to hunt to find your entry / entries in a "sea" of boxes, you'd probably end up looking at all the others.

Well, it's either that or you know what yours looks like, so you can easily pick it out amongst all the hundreds* of other entries.

(* Well, I'm sure that having too many entries to clearly display on a show stand is a problem the BRM team would love to have.)

Huw.

It reminds me of a passage in one of le Carre's novels ("Tinker, Tailor" or "Smileys People") where the competitors in a Squash tournament were described as being listed under workname.....