nce powercab

In simple terms to read loco address.

Loco on programming track

On the handset select Prog/Esc, hit 4 on keypad now says Program track, hit enter,  select 1=STD when it gets to MAIN OFF Manufacturer hit enter, Decoder version hit enter, set up address press 1 and that will show you the decoder address.

I have just purchased a powercab and the instructions are difficult to follow. Icannot progress farther than step 7 on page 2 of the manual to read the loco's address. can someone tell me where I am going wrong

Is this the manual you are using?

Power Cab V 1.65 Manual.pdf

I have just returned from work and I have followed your instructions, but when I get to "set up address and press 1" all I get is "ACTIVE ADDR: LONG on the top of the screen and SHORT ADDR: with 1st digit flashing, which is prompting me to set my own address which I think is a short address. Whatever I press it does not read back the loco address which is already in use. Am definitely going wrong but I don't know where. Thanks for your help anyway

I have just returned from work and I have followed your instructions, but when I get to "set up address and press 1" all I get is "ACTIVE ADDR: LONG on the top of the screen and SHORT ADDR: with 1st digit flashing, which is prompting me to set my own address which I think is a short address. Whatever I press it does not read back the loco address which is already in use. Am definitely going wrong but I don't know where. Thanks for your help anyway

That means it has a long address programmed. Just enter what address you want and hit 1 or enter whatever it prompts to activate the address you input.

That means it has a long address programmed. Just enter what address you want and hit 1 or enter whatever it prompts to activate the address you input.

I have just tried again using the manual, and I believe I have cracked it. I found the manual rather confusing. I have been using a Bachmann dynamis for a few years which I am pleased with, but it only gives you 20 functions. I have purchased a SLW Cl 24 and needed something with more than 20 functions. Thanks for all your help, I must repair damage to wall caused by head, then follow the road to alcoholic oblivion. Good night to all.

• RMweb Gold

I have just tried again using the manual, and I believe I have cracked it. I found the manual rather confusing. I have been using a Bachmann dynamis for a few years which I am pleased with, but it only gives you 20 functions. I have purchased a SLW Cl 24 and needed something with more than 20 functions. Thanks for all your help, I must repair damage to wall caused by head, then follow the road to alcoholic oblivion. Good night to all.

Enjoy the drinking ( I would) The  NCE is really quite intuitive and the manual is not at all bad - perservere! I had a Lenz set with 100 and 90 handsets and bought an NCE for thte test track etc. Now I use it for all my exhibitions etc...

Edited by Gilbert

Glad your sorted, any other info you need give us a shout.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am having a lot of trouble trying to set up this powercab.  No matter what I do the thing keeps telling me it cannot read the CV.  4 hours so far on a product I was told a kid of 4 can set it up.  Might be quicker to find the kid.

Any help gratefully received.

I am having a lot of trouble trying to set up this powercab.  No matter what I do the thing keeps telling me it cannot read the CV.  4 hours so far on a product I was told a kid of 4 can set it up.  Might be quicker to find the kid.

Any help gratefully received.

From the limited information you have provided it seems that you have already set up the PowerCab and are having trouble programming a DCC decoder.  It would also seem that you are, correctly, using the programming track otherwise you wouldn't get the "cannot read CV" response. So the problem is not with the PowerCab but with the decoder.

Is this a new loco with a decoder already installed, a loco into which you have installed a new decoder or a second hand loco which already had a decoder in it? The make of decoder would help with trying to identify the problem. 

• RMweb Premium

From the limited information you have provided it seems that you have already set up the PowerCab and are having trouble programming a DCC decoder.  It would also seem that you are, correctly, using the programming track otherwise you wouldn't get the "cannot read CV" response. So the problem is not with the PowerCab but with the decoder.

Is this a new loco with a decoder already installed, a loco into which you have installed a new decoder or a second hand loco which already had a decoder in it? The make of decoder would help with trying to identify the problem. 

Is there a chance that the wrong cable is being used?