Bachmann N gauge Black 5 problems

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I look after the Great Central 'Bridge to the Future' N gauge layout which is on display at Loughborough GCR this weekend. Bachmann Europe kindly provided some stock to run on it. There is an Ivatt 2-6-0 46521 which now runs well. They also donated a BR liveried Black 5 4-6-0. This is tender drive with loco power pickup and has never run well. The problem seems to be the loco-tender power connection.

On the bench the loco now works well with loco power pickup and tender drive but once on the model the power does not transmit well and the loco stalls. I have dismantled loco & tender to resolve any apparent problems but the loco-tender links is fixed. Anyone with experience of getting this design of loco to run smoothly please?

Dava

You have posted on the wrong thread.N gauge should be under Farish.

No, it is in the right place. The models are "Graham Farish by Bachmann" sometimes referred to as Bach/Far or other similar abbreviations.

I would suggest checking the sprung wire connectors between loco and tender that sits underneath the drawbar. These transfer the power and must make good contact with the metal half round stubs (hard to describe but easily identified if you turn the loco upside down). If they don't power transfer is intermittent. The other suggestion I have for improving pickup is to remove the rearmost tyred wheelset and replace it with the plain wheels you should find in the box. The tender pickups spring down onto this wheelset and plain wheels provide a longer pickup footprint. It will still be more than fine hauling a six or so coach train as long as there are no gradients, 

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, the problem is with the sprung wire connectors. After fiddling on the workbench last night I placed the loco on the layout and it worked perfectly today....all day. I gave the rails a light coating of graphite from a 5B pencil which also seemed to help, as there was a fair amount of atmospheric  being generated by passing steam locos at the GCR Autumn Gala, though the layout has top covers. So the loco has redeemed itself.

Dava

Edited by Dava

The good news about spring wires is that the part is easier to replace than Dapol's small wires.

The bad news is that when they get broken the replacements aren't in the box with the loco, but cost £1 each from Bachmann spares- delivery is quick OTOH.  The drawbars DO get broken, especially by rough handling at shows when the operator is under stress and the owner isn't looking. 

What can also happen is that the insulation gap between the pillars gets clogged with something conductive (track rubber dust) and needs cleaning out with a cocktail stick when servicing the loco.  Nowhere have I seen that tip.  Funny what you find when a loco starts to randomly short out.....

Les