Cardiff Model Railway Show

Abergwaun

I do believe that the Professor is making arrangements for you to devour a tasty curry at the normal curry house on Cowbridge Common. Good beer is available all over Kaardiff as you know. Sadly we will not be able to provide a barrel at the show like we sampled at Aldershot last weekend.

There may just be some welsh Cakes available however  

If the Welsh cakes are from the usual source  :sungum: 

I shall have to stock up on Brains Dark to take back home, I'm down to my last dozen bottles.

'Rev James' a regular on tap in our Legion though.

Edited by Penlan

This little beaut. Will be in attendance.

Together with my layout.

Plus free Evostik tin to the first 10 punters who amuse me.

Who said train shows were dull.

Fatty Lewis: This glue is for sticking my model aeroplanes together, not sticking up your noses! Buy your own. glue! Edited by bazjones1711

If the Welsh cakes are from the usual source  :sungum: 

I shall have to stock up on Brains Dark to take back home, I'm down to my last dozen bottles.

'Rev James' a regular on tap in our Legion though.

The Welsh cakes, now a feature of all Exhibitions where Cardiff 4mm Group are in attendance will be from the normal source (i.e. The Ferret) supplemented by additional supplies lovingly baked by Mrs Oisaeau. Much nicer than evostik  up your nose

The Welsh cakes, now a feature of all Exhibitions where Cardiff 4mm Group are in attendance will be from the normal source (i.e. The Ferret) supplemented by additional supplies lovingly baked by Mrs Oisaeau. Much nicer than evostik  up your nose

Having sampled Evo-Stik many times over my three score plus years; but never having partaken of Mrs Oisaeau's wares, I'll have to err on the enjoyment of Evo-Stik.

Of course, one 'bakestone' ( Welsh cake was a term alien to my family ) at the show may sway my taste buds.

A bakestone is what the Welsh cakes should be cooked on, ideally.  It is a large piece of iron or steel, broadly circular with a handle, that is placed on the cooker and greased with lard applied with a twist of the paper wrapping the pack of lard.  Welsh cakes can be made on a griddle or in a cast iron frying pan such as one from the Le Creuset range but however well they turn out they are not the same.  Where does the iron or steel come from?  Well, if you see a tramp steamer with an oddly shaped porthole that might just be a clue.

Chris

Welshcakes?

Never heard of them, something resembling a Bakestone that the English like to try and make????

I recall my mam throwing the bakestone at my old man after he came home with a skinful on board,(Sunday joint burnt out)  luckily it missed but I reckon the huge gouge in the wall is still in the police house in Gabalfa!

A bakestone is what the Welsh cakes should be cooked on, ideally.  It is a large piece of iron or steel, broadly circular with a handle, that is placed on the cooker and greased with lard applied with a twist of the paper wrapping the pack of lard.  Welsh cakes can be made on a griddle or in a cast iron frying pan such as one from the Le Creuset range but however well they turn out they are not the same.  Where does the iron or steel come from?  Well, if you see a tramp steamer with an oddly shaped porthole that might just be a clue.

Chris

The Ferret, the cook and supplier of the Welsh Cakes is a Supremo at the art, and I'm sure all the basic needs to produce the wares are in place, should you think otherwise, I will leave you to sort it out with The Ferret, I believe their score is 100% at resolving how the Welsh Cakes are made... 

Having sampled Evo-Stik many times over my three score plus years; but never having partaken of Mrs 's wares, I'll have to err on the enjoyment of Evo-Stik.

Of course, one 'bakestone' ( Welsh cake was a term alien to my family ) at the show may sway my taste buds.

I can assure you that the venerable Mrs Oisaeau  makes an exceedingly nice WELSH CAKE and has also produced some additional delicacies. She made these tasties this morning before setting off for a little baby sitting. So provided Mr. Oisaeau can keep his mits off them there will some to taste.

I recall my mam throwing the bakestone at my old man after he came home with a skinful on board,(Sunday joint burnt out)  luckily it missed but I reckon the huge gouge in the wall is still in the police house in Gabalfa!

The police authority sold them off years ago..................................but one in particular went very cheaply as it was structurally unsound; allegedly due to damage suffered by an  internal wall that had previously gone unreported !

Tonight I experienced fear, first hand.................

Seeing the very impressive 'Sherton Abbas' for the first time was one thing, crawling beneath and bolting the boards together for 'Wenlock' was another.

But lifting his lighting frame into place led  squeaky noises to emanate from the seat of my pants !

Looking forward to an enjoyable weekend, and perhaps a Welsh cake ?

Brian R

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tonight I experienced fear, first hand.................

Seeing the very impressive 'Sherton Abbas' for the first time was one thing, crawling beneath and bolting the boards together for 'Wenlock' was another.

But lifting his lighting frame into place led  squeaky noises to emanate from the seat of my pants !

Looking forward to an enjoyable weekend, and perhaps a Welsh cake ?

Brian R

You did a splendid job Brian, thanks for all your help, squeaks not withstanding!:-)

• RMweb Gold

Dave, Roger and I had great fun with Sherton Abbas today, which - other than an intermittent fault with the Dean Goods - operated very well. Did anyone take some pictures, I wonder?

Plenty of other nice layouts to see so come along tomorrow if you get the chance.

• RMweb Gold

Dave, Roger and I had great fun with Sherton Abbas today, which - other than an intermittent fault with the Dean Goods - operated very well. Did anyone take some pictures, I wonder?

Plenty of other nice layouts to see so come along tomorrow if you get the chance.

Yep really good day :-) I think I’ve sorted the dodgy Dean! Let’s hope it behaves it’s self tomorrow!

• Like 2

Great show....as always.

Good to catch up with the stalwarts of my old club ( Cardiff 4mm group) and to see Welnlock, Barry Ten, br 2975, NHY to name but 4!

Almost forget Mr and Mrs Queensquare.

A small show which really punches above its weight in terms of quality.

• Like 1

Great show....as always.

A small show which really punches above its weight in terms of quality.

I couldn't put it better myself.

And, care of Graham 'Uncle Albert' Tierney.................I finally got a Welsh cake, hmmmmm !

Roll on next year.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

I couldn't put it better myself.

And, care of Graham 'Uncle Albert' Tierney.................I finally got a Welsh cake, hmmmmm !

Roll on next year.

Brian R

Same for me ,a really enjoyable show this year,as usual I didn’t stop talking .....to myself ........no I mean the punters.

Great crowd to exhibit with ,Abercynon Fach operators thank you

post-7300-0-29528500-1508698987_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really enjoyed the weekend, it was great to catch up with everyone:-) Many thanks to the Cardiff 4mm gang for collecting the layout in their van, giving me a hand setting it up and delivering us back home in one piece!:-)

Best wishes to all

Dave

• Like 2