Class 50 sound projects

PoshPaws

Does anyone know if any of the commercially-available sound projects are suitable for a class 50 prior to their reburbishment in 1979-1983, so including the inertial air filtration system that gave them the distinctive "Hoover" sound? I know it vanished a long time ago, but projects are available for the class 16 or 22 for example, which were extinct before this.

Edited by PoshPaws

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately not, the only recordings are for refurb class 50s, and ive not yet heard a decent recording for a "hoover" id like to know what they sounded like, i might be wrong but the 16s and 22s were made using recordings from "similar" engined locomotives.

Edited by pheaton

Apologies for not answering your question but instead posting another one but I too was about to ask about Class 50 sound projects...

Much of my "misspent" youth consisted of spending many hours at Penzance in the early 1980's - lots of fifties in those days! :sungum:

I've witnessed more 50 start ups than I care to remember - unless my memory is playing tricks, I think I'm remembering correctly that once the engine had started, warmed up and settled down to a nice even beat, when the ETH was engaged the engine revs at idle increased quite noticeably as the loco took up the load.

Do any of the existing sound projects have the facility to mimic this, i.e. is there a toggle to "switch on" the ETH, where the engine idle revs are higher than at start up?

I'm hoping my rambling makes sense!

If this doesn't currently exist (to all those out there producing your wonderful sound projects), can I add this to a wish list - there have been a few instances now of air-con ETH stock hooked up to a Class 50 so hopefully it would be possible.

Many thanks,

Mike

Why don't you ask a retailer who sells them?

Digitains sell decoders with Paul Chetter's sound files & DC Kits - D&E Videos sell Legomanbiffo's. They will both be able to tell you what options are available on their own decoders. The latter's project has a 'Hoover' function because the website mentions it. I don't know what this sound was recorded from though.

Apologies for not answering your question but instead posting another one but I too was about to ask about Class 50 sound projects...

Much of my "misspent" youth consisted of spending many hours at Penzance in the early 1980's - lots of fifties in those days! :sungum:

I've witnessed more 50 start ups than I care to remember - unless my memory is playing tricks, I think I'm remembering correctly that once the engine had started, warmed up and settled down to a nice even beat, when the ETH was engaged the engine revs at idle increased quite noticeably as the loco took up the load.

Do any of the existing sound projects have the facility to mimic this, i.e. is there a toggle to "switch on" the ETH, where the engine idle revs are higher than at start up?

I'm hoping my rambling makes sense!

If this doesn't currently exist (to all those out there producing your wonderful sound projects), can I add this to a wish list - there have been a few instances now of air-con ETH stock hooked up to a Class 50 so hopefully it would be possible.

Many thanks,

Mike

Mike,

My latest Class 50 project for ZIMO decoders has the sound I believe you are looking for on F key 15. This means the project can be used for 'original spec' or refurbished locomotives. (or the same loco before and after refurbishment, maybe?)

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Digitains sell decoders with Paul Chetter's sound files & DC Kits - D&E Videos sell Legomanbiffo's. They will both be able to tell you what options are available on their own decoders. The latter's project has a 'Hoover' function because the website mentions it. I don't know what this sound was recorded from though.

I've asked a few with no luck... heading toward DC Kits right now. I had kind of missed them because I've always preferred Zimo decoders, especially with sound, but if they include the hoover sound It's time to try it.

Mike,

My latest Class 50 project for ZIMO decoders has the sound I believe you are looking for on F key 15. This means the project can be used for 'original spec' or refurbished locomotives. (or the same loco before and after refurbishment, maybe?)

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul I'm pretty new here. Where do I find your project please?

Hi Paul I'm pretty new here. Where do I find your project please?

You will be able to get it from Digitrains but having just checked, their website is still only showing the older version.

I suggest that you email them tell, them I sent you and ask specifically for the Class 50 ActiveDrive SL V17.09 sound project. They are well used to overseas customers so there will not be any hassle.

If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you a copy of the User Notes and Functions List.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Fine to ask on here because that way we all get to see the answer to a question we might not have thought to ask and thereby learn something. Interaction between a group of like minded persons - thats the whole point and fun of a forum I would have thought :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You will be able to get it from Digitrains but having just checked, their website is still only showing the older version.

I suggest that you email them tell, them I sent you and ask specifically for the Class 50 ActiveDrive SL V17.09 sound project. They are well used to overseas customers so there will not be any hassle.

If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you a copy of the User Notes and Functions List.

Kind regards,

Paul

Jeremyfrom Digitrains  did the new version for me at Wigan

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1