Roco Z21 - suggestions as to why not

jdy928

6 hours ago, 7013 said:

I use both Z21 and Lenz LH 100 at different times. The Red cabled multimaus works with both which is a bonus. Z21 black is superb and intuitive, I use an iPhone and an iPad if I am at an exhibition so one is on charge as back up. The Lenz system is quite long in the tooth but still remains one of the best. As with all DCC systems try them out if possible and buy the one you feel comfortable with.

Thanks for info. I've ordered an NCE Power Cab which I'm familiar with and should eliminate the touch screen throttle slider issue which I foolishly dallied with and just didn't suit me personally for shunting control.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, NoelG said:

Thanks for info. I've ordered an NCE Power Cab which I'm familiar with and should eliminate the touch screen throttle slider issue which I foolishly dallied with and just didn't suit me personally for shunting control.

But if you use a Multimaus to control the Z21 (as I do) you get a large centre off knob to control speed.

10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

But if you use a Multimaus to control the Z21 (as I do) you get a large centre off knob to control speed.

Thanks, yes I have tried that, it is much better than the phone app for throttle, but I really miss buttons for blind one handed throttle control (ie inc/dec +/-1 or +/-4 speed steps at a time in 28 step mode), which is a real help shunting, especially with kadee uncoupling magnets.

Edited by NoelG

Don't forget that ANY Expressñet(R) handset** should be able to work on the Z21 ( or other Expressnet based controller ) .... That is one of the benefits of choosing an Expressnet based control system ......in the same way that a Loconet (R) based system is too ..... And the Z21 offers both. ( a side effect of the combinination of Roco and Fleischman as the latter used Loconet before )

There are, as well as Lenz handsets, several other makes which could be used, and some in kit form or very small  manufacturers.

**sometimes an adapter or change of connector may be needed.

The digikeijs 5000 should also get a mention perhaps, as it has been designed to follow some of the Z21 features

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, NoelG said:

Thanks, yes I have tried that, it is much better than the phone app for throttle, but I really miss buttons for blind one handed throttle control (ie inc/dec +/-1 or +/-4 speed steps at a time in 28 step mode), which is a real help shunting, especially with kadee uncoupling magnets.

It's obviously what you have got used to but I can move the loco one handed with the throttle whilst positioning the loco over the magnet.

And I'm not very dexterous!:no:

As I have said before, I also have a Lenz LH100 which you can also move locos slowly with the speed step buttons, is not so good when you need to change direction.

BTW I use 128 steps in the decoders.

I found that I always had to look at the LH100 buttons when I used one ( and I agree, changing direction was a pain), whereas with the Multimaus it is very easy to operate the knob one-handed without looking - the other issue was that with the LH100 as that I always found that the wire was too short whereas with my WiFi Multimaus I forget where I have laid it down!

Don't forget that any "legacy" DCC system you have and like, can still be used with Z21 through the sniffer socket. No need to worry about CAN and X-BUS connections. The big clunky lever of the ZTC 511/611 works fine that way. For the finest control though, I find an iPhone is best. Tilting my thumb can cause a minuscule change of speed and the haptic feed back when you reach 'stop' or 'max' is a bonus.

9 hours ago, Riddles said:

Don't forget that any "legacy" DCC system you have and like, can still be used with Z21 through the sniffer socket. No need to worry about CAN and X-BUS connections. The big clunky lever of the ZTC 511/611 works fine that way. For the finest control though, I find an iPhone is best. Tilting my thumb can cause a minuscule change of speed and the haptic feed back when you reach 'stop' or 'max' is a bonus.

Whilst the sniffer input may be needed for some legacy systems ( and was, originally, even for the Roco MultiCentralePro ) - as the ZTC511 (assuming it had been upgraded to Xpressnet from its predecessor slower Lenz Bus ) , it could be connected 'as a controller' via its xpressnet connection  ....  I, like many, converted from Zero-1 via the ZTC511 and started using Multimaus as an additional handset when they cam out - them realised how much better it was to use the Multimaus as the Master ! instead of Slave .... a simple example being an emergency stop ... which with the ZTC511 as Master, could only be released from the console, but with the Multimaus as Master, any controller could apply AND release it  .... no walking back to the central position ... and I simply added more handsets around the loft ( 1 with each extra Digital Start Set) .. this before the wireless options of the MultimausPro+MCP ..   and having been told that the Amplifier could also be used as a booster without modification.... the 511 + booster was dispensed with, and replaced by 4 Roco power districts.... to this day  (The Z21 is used elsewhere)

Archives will reveal the wiring of  the ZTC 6pin din to RG connection .... easily made.