Farnham & District MRC Show 14th and 15th October

jbe

The Farnham & DIstrict MRC will be holding its annual exhibition this coming weekend - 14th and 15th October 2017 - in Aldershot. Click here.

The layouts on show are:

• Ackthorpe (00)
  • Addison Road (0)
  • An Clar and the Pizza (Nm and 2mm FS)
  • Arigna Town (0-36.75)
  • Brixham Bay (N)
  • Burnham-on-Sea (2mm FS)
  • Dentdale (N)
  • Denton Brook (0-14 and 0)
  • Diano Marina (H0)
  • Frecclesham (0)
  • Hospital Gates (0)
  • Kirkmellington (EM)
  • Lighterman's Yard (2mm FS)
  • Merstone and Ventor West (00 FS)
  • Parkside (00)
  • St. Mary's (0-16.5)
  • Tanners Hill (N)
  • Wadebridge (2mm FS)
  • Weydon Road (0)
  • Whitecross Street (00)
  • Ynysybwl (EM)

Details of all the layouts here: List of Layouts

There will also be approximately 25 traders present: List of Traders

The exhibition will be held in the usual place, but note the change of name: Alderwood Leisure Centre, Tongham Road, Aldershot, GU12 4AS – formerly called the Connaught Leisure Centre.

Opening times are Saturday 10am to 5pm and Sunday 10am to 4.30pm. Tea and coffee will be available from 9.30am.

Admission: Adults £6.00, Children £2.00, Family £15.00.

Julian

Edited by jbe

I discovered this excellent show about four years ago and it is now a regular feature in my diary.

Great layouts and excellent refreshments.

See you there.

Thanks very much for the kind comments. I hope we live up to expectations this year!

Julian

David,

Thank you for the kind words - it is great when people take the trouble to express their appreciation. Obviously I am biased, but our exhibition manager, Noel Leaver, seems to have struck gold this year.

Julian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Speaking as one the exhibitors, it's enjoyable from our side too.  Today's visitors were a nice appreciative audience that were a pleasure to chat to.  Looking forward to tomorrow -  don't have to get up so early!

Mark

• Like 1

I managed to get along there today and found it to be a very good exhibition with some very nice layouts. Apparently attendance numbers were up on last year (at least for the Saturday) which is a good indication of the state of the hobby despite the doom mongers naysaying and predicting the end of the railway modelling. Here's a couple of pics I took:

post-33-0-09415600-1508093179_thumb.jpg

Wadebridge

post-33-0-79090800-1508093201_thumb.jpg

Dentdale

post-33-0-46213900-1508093239_thumb.jpg

Brixham Bay

post-33-0-67518200-1508093266_thumb.jpg

Ynysybwl

post-33-0-00139900-1508093320_thumb.jpg

Lighterman's Yard

G.

• Like 4

A great show, I enjoyed exhibiting Burnham-on-Sea although a little overawed by the company around me.

Thank you very much the Farnham club  who all worked hard to make the show a success.

Speaking as an exhibitor all aspects of the show were well organised, the excellent road signage was commented on by my companions on the way in.

• Like 1

.......... the excellent road signage was commented on by my companions on the way in.

Yes, absolutely excellent signing getting in, but getting out  to the main road again after the show.....

Thanks to all at Farnham, absolutely superb group of layouts. For me 'Lightermans Yard' was the most inspirational, beautiful modelling in an atmospheric setting.

Regards

Steve W

There appeared to be a good mix of scales. Once again a great show. The layouts, without exception, were superb. I was also very impressed with the catering. Well worth the journey by public transport from NW Kent.

Congratulations to everyone concerned.

Just a quick count.

2mm/N  7

3mm     0

3.5mm  1

4mm     5

0          7

Sorry, my apologies. Should be featuring 2mm & 0.

Thanks every one for your appreciative comments. As members of all clubs know, it is hard work putting on an exhibition, but one which is generally enjoyable.

For the fourth year in a row we saw an increase in the number of visitors. We were concerned that a modest increase in admission (to £6 for adults) would put people off, but apparently not and we were able to use the extra income to invite layouts from further away. We think signage is very important in attracting local people and layout choice is very important for attracting enthusiasts - the exhibition team (of which I am not a member) try hard to get both right (along with a mass of other things including having good trade support), The modest surplus from the show was about the same as last year and gets invested in to new layouts for the Club, which should include one for our newly formed 009 section.

Any other comments (good or bad) are most welcome.

Julian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought it was a great show and spent a very enjoyable 4+ hours there on Saturday  Also spent money that I didn't intend to but very pleased with my purchases.  :imsohappy: Catering was good and the service very efficient. 

Road signage was probably amongst the best I've seen for a show and made my SatNav redundant.

£6 admission (including exhibition guide)) for that amount of entertainment is in my view very reasonable, cheap in fact, so a big thank you from me to all concerned.

Edited by grandadbob

Everything about this show was really well done; the signage, the exhibits, the food, the friendliness....

I spent ages talking to two of the MERG guys from Southampton, really friendly, really helpful. BTW I am a member but they didn't know to start with.

It would be wrong to single out an individual layout as the best, I don't think I saw a bad one.

Just one criticism, the toilets were ever so small and most lacked toilet paper.

I would gladly pay £10 to see that quality of exhibition. Very well done to all of those involved in its organization.

Cheers

Godders

• Like 1

We (the Ynysybwl crowd) went. We exhibited. We didn't conquer but we had a really good time. Some excellent layouts, friendly natives and we really liked Johney Gurka (it's a curry house). We were alongside Frecklesham and we were treated to their "cold tea" which comes in a bottle and is that sort of stuff which is made in Kentucky. I think this is a habit which we may adopt.

At Denton Brook we had a very good, but exhausting time! We were working with three (instead of our ideal 5) on Saturday, which meant that we had lunch 'on the job. However, everyone seemed to enjoy and appreciate it, which was great.

We were delighted to pick up the trophy, especially with the many delightful layouts present - and a big thank you for Farnhams hospitality!