Tell me about Telford

Classsix T

Hi Gang,

I've a work's beano to Telford for a print industry exhibition on Friday and was wondering if I mooched over to Central station, what I might find?

It'll be just after noon arrival. Linky link to venue; http://www.theprintshow.co.uk/directions.php

If station is uninteresting, any local hobbyshops or museums worth a gander?

(I'm a litho ink monkey and have been pre warned this expo is digital based, so give me half an hour to zip round the thing for freebies and the rest of the time is mine! Lessons learnt from similar gigs at NEC and Kenny O.)

C6T.

A town of many roundabouts and a remarkably uninspiring station. Make use of the spare time to visit Ironbridge Gorge and any of the museums or pop over to Bridgnorth for the SVR. Cosford Aerospace Museum is well worth a visit too if you have never been.

• Like 1

Telford has little or no town centre, it's a new town built around a shopping centre.

The station is best avoided.

As Andy says, Ironbridge Gorge, Coalbrookedale, Blists Hill Museum and Cosford Air museum are local highlights and Much Wenlock, of GWR branch line terminus fame is very close by and well worth a visit. Some decent pubs and grub on offer too.

Unfortunately, Sirs, I fear I only have four hours in town. Ironbridge museum was my first thought, but not knowing the area am unsure what I can get to and back again without raising suspicion from "management" that my time has been spent at venue.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

Unfortunately, Sirs, I fear I only have four hours in town. Ironbridge museum was my first thought, but not knowing the area am unsure what I can get to and back again without raising suspicion from "management" that my time has been spent at venue.

C6T.

"I got lost and couldn't find my way back" is a perfectly reasonable excuse to trot out for Telford. Shergar is still lapping the shopping centre ring road just a few yards from the International Centre.

Also recommended is a pork pie from Eley's just opposite the Iron Bridge. If you haven't time for a proper museum visit just head for the works at Coalport and look at the river and the inclined plane up to the top of the Gorge. Wonderful industrial heritage.

Every time I visit Telford I end up taking a different route to where I want to go. I'm sure they take the roads up at night and lay them out in a different layout each morning!

They do that to stop the locals escaping! The Iron bridge is covered in scaffolding at the moment, it's being refurbished.

They do that to stop the locals escaping! The Iron bridge is covered in scaffolding at the moment, it's being refurbished.

Seems the whole world is under scaffolding or reconstruction.

Went to Florence - whole buildings covered in scaffolding but with a nice image of the building underneath so you could see what should be there - nice

Went to Barcelona - the cathedral was covered in cranes and scaffolding which did wonders for photography

All the main UK motorways seem to have permanent 50mph restrictions whilst they are smartened, I liked the dumb motorways with the parking lane in red.

Trains from 11:00-1800

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/TFC/2017/10/13/1100-1800?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

No freight booked on a Friday between those times.

1Z55 at 16:59 is a DRS working.

Two freights each way in a day is rush hour that way nowadays.

The track scrubber is out and about though at the moment.

There used to be a few imported coal trains that came up from Bristol that way, bound for Rugeley, don't know what's happened to those though. 

Replaced by windmills I guess.

A colleague who lives out that way reliably informs me that all the region's criminals live there.

He says the police have never had it easier they just monitor the traffic coming in, on two or three key routes, nab them for the inevitable no insurance and then search the vehicle.

With the technology they have nowadays they can monitor their every move and it seems there's an endless supply of the witless virtually catching themselves.

On the subject of us criminal classes, I've been there once for a speed awareness course, the police cocked up my acceptance speech putting me in danger of a visit but I was able to get a place up there at the last minute.

Trouble is, it reminded me of Milton Keynes every road junction looks the same, I was going round in circles and nearly never made it.

My first offence in nearly forty years of driving (not so much as a parking ticket), 37 in a 30 on a rural road with no speed limit signs, no pavements but it did have lampposts.

I was devastated (she says I haven't shut up about it since), a favourite spot for the mobile camera by all accounts. 

The course was quite good though, have to admit I learned of couple of things, but does it bar me from becoming a train driver.

• RMweb Gold

Trouble is, it reminded me of Milton Keynes every road junction looks the same, I was going round in circles and nearly never made it.

And just to confuse the visitor some roundabouts have the same destination signposted off two different exits.

The fruit of Herr Wilson’s social engineering experiments in the 1960s, dumping families Birmingham couldn’t handle there was never going to end well. Buried in the concrete are some delightful towns Wodehouse would be proud of. Oaken Gates, Wellington, Dawley, to name a few.

The fruit of Herr Wilson’s social engineering experiments in the 1960s, dumping families Birmingham couldn’t handle there was never going to end well. Buried in the concrete are some delightful towns Wodehouse would be proud of. Oaken Gates, Wellington, Dawley, to name a few.

Having rejuvenated Dawley town centre twice with Work, I cannot see how anybody could be proud of it it's current state. Betting shops, money shops, high strength lager and little else.