Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Am sure we can find some supporting blocks!!!

That’s why I had to level my garden, the first time I put Ravensclyffe up here I needed three bricks and the full height of the adjustable feet at the lower end. Now it’s all within the adjustment of the feet. 

Andi 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Am sure we can find some supporting blocks!!!

Dear Lord Bullock of Abbotswood

I know our mutual friend Mr Dagworth is not the tallest of souls but suggesting he stands on some blocks is rather funny.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

So after 3 years of prevarication, accumulation of more stock and other furtling....

That baseboard maker of excellent repute Mr Tim Horn has agreed to produce the boards for us. Hurrah! Will there be any track available though? 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bob. Better get other projects completed before they arrive.... the train of herrings and coaching stock, and the signals. Then there’s the old layout to strip and garage to tidy up.....

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

This is great news hopefully as it’s local I will get to see it in the flesh.

Keith 

Keep an eye on Keith.... Will be setting up in garden once running.

On another note have seen formal records today for the first time that Class 14s did work through on Gloucester to Worcester freights in 66/67. It’s stretching our timeframe but as some of the workings were recorded as ballast hoppers from Chepstow.... got to be herrings!.... we will have to go with it.

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Keep an eye on Keith.... Will be setting up in garden once running.

On another note have seen formal records today for the first time that Class 14s did work through on Gloucester to Worcester freights in 66/67. It’s stretching our timeframe but as some of the workings were recorded as ballast hoppers from Chepstow.... got to be herrings!.... we will have to go with it.

All a bit fishy to me.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Fantastic news Phil. As ever I am willing to assist in any way, such as maybe constructing a plastic kit or two. 

Likewise, once we are released, and the boards have arrived then I too am willing to help in any way I can.

Andi

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

About time, now stop going fishing all day and no more holidays where you take Lady Abbotswood to a beauty spot and "by accident" a steam train comes chuff  chuffing by.

And with Daggers offering to help I might join and supervise him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the biggest pleasures for me with the layout has been the friendships it has brought with it .... on here, and at shows and other outings. SWMBO thinks we live here because it is railway central with so many like minded folks but she didn’t know the gang that exists in the Principality from which she hails!

Thank you all so very much for the offers of help.... there will certainly be opportunities, James was on the phone last night following Tim’s suggestion that the boards might be ready before Christmas saying that perhaps we might have something running by next Summer. I suspect the availability of Peco track may be a factor....

Hopefully by then we might also have shows back! A crew of at least 4 is going to be needed, would love to attempt the full timetable at a show. About 200 scheduled trains plus any specials.....fiddle yard capacity is going to be maximised but that’s still going to be an awful lot of fiddling! At least coaches have magnetic Hunt couplings now rather than the visually excellent but fiddly Hornby ones.

Will be a lot of shake down to do before the first outing too.....

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Most definitely;

Just sayin'!

Mike.

Oh no! Apparently middle wickets are in short supply too! And herrings....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

One of the biggest pleasures for me with the layout has been the friendships it has brought with it .... on here, and at shows and other outings. SWMBO thinks we live here because it is railway central with so many like minded folks but she didn’t know the gang that exists in the Principality from which she hails!

Thank you all so very much for the offers of help.... there will certainly be opportunities, James was on the phone last night following Tim’s suggestion that the boards might be ready before Christmas saying that perhaps we might have something running by next Summer. I suspect the availability of Peco track may be a factor....

Hopefully by then we might also have shows back! A crew of at least 4 is going to be needed, would love to attempt the full timetable at a show. About 200 scheduled trains plus any specials.....fiddle yard capacity is going to be maximised but that’s still going to be an awful lot of fiddling! At least coaches have magnetic Hunt couplings now rather than the visually excellent but fiddly Hornby ones.

Will be a lot of shake down to do before the first outing too.....

Phil,

There's a reason why people offer to help you.

Count me in. I'll be part of the remote support group. So long as I can play trains when its finished.

Bob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Phil,

There's a reason why people offer to help you.

Count me in. I'll be part of the remote support group. So long as I can play trains when its finished.

Bob

Thanks Bob it would be a pleasure to have your company again. Keep in the loop.... will update on here with progress

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Rail and copperclad is the cheapest and quickest way for fiddleyards?

Mike.

Yes good prompt Mike ...  Many thanks, thinking about that, wonder what the copperclad spacings need to be? 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Phil Bullock said:

Yes good prompt Mike ...  Many thanks, thinking about that, wonder what the copperclad spacings need to be? 

16.5mm, the same as the Peco.

:-)

Serious hat on now, 1.5” to 2” is what I recall from peering round the back at exhibition layouts.

Paul.