Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I heard that the nuclear dump had refused to be located in Lincolnshire.... got all sniffy and said it had standards.

Yes from what I hear it’s the smell from all those off shore wind farms that is the problem…

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Better not show this to the Lincolnshire branch of the model railway wiring police then! 

In my defence m’lud there are only 3 wires…. Blue brown and red. And preprogramming the cobalts was a great success too …. Each board is electrically independent and only connected by the bus…. When I plugged this one in no shorts, every point motor worked and the stalwart D5401 test ran on all tracks.

Isn't it strange how fashions change even on model railways?  At one time having a bus on a bridge was all the rage - the in thing.  Now it seems that the go ahead sorts have to have a bus underneath the layout.   I wonder when the bus will finish up on the floor as its descent continues over the years?

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

40 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Isn't it strange how fashions change even on model railways?  At one time having a bus on a bridge was all the rage - the in thing.  Now it seems that the go ahead sorts have to have a bus underneath the layout.   I wonder when the bus will finish up on the floor as its descent continues over the years?

Ah but don’t forget underneath the bus is accompanied by a bar. So eventually the bus will end up on the floor……..

However Phil it is all looking good and hope to see the full layout soon. Any local shows planned yet.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Ah but don’t forget underneath the bus is accompanied by a bar. So eventually the bus will end up on the floor……..

However Phil it is all looking good and hope to see the full layout soon. Any local shows planned yet.

Keith

Nothing concrete but Toddington diesel gala 2022 May be a good shakedown if they will have us

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

More work today…. After taking the loop lines across the board join on to board 3 I Discovered I needed to fit another 10 power feeds on board 2.

Oh heck don’t tell Clive!!! 

Brilliant teamwork from @Pierre Le Brunagain today…. Cheers Pete! Build is currently out on the front drive which attracts comments from passers by and local gossip… where the hedgehogs have been seen and from one precocious 5 year old girl who insists on telling us what she has been doing at school today! Under the watchful gaze of her mum of course….

D235B1F1-FA47-4433-B467-EFA7D28208D7.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Back from Estonia where the weather was much better than here. Shame our bags ended up in Vienna….

Hoped to do more fiddle yard track laying today but ended up shower dodging. So tried swapping @Tim Horns bolts and wing nuts for captive nuts and dome head bolts. We can use power tools on those …. 120 bolts to undo and 60 to do up every set up so anything to speed things up. Initially successful, time will tell long term.

The quality of build of the boards…. Material and workmanship …. Is second to none. Thanks for a great job Tim! 

A94C024D-9A32-43EC-9AEA-AE422184779F.jpeg

C3B3A065-9DF4-4EFC-88A8-FD7D92870A17.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday was SVR diesel gala …. Some great action from D1062.

Todays shower dodging was starting electrics on fiddle yard board 3, James and I finished laying track from F3 on to F4 on Sunday. Always get some good comments from passers by, today’s were from a gentleman called Tim who knew what he was talking about.

Turns out his father had layout based on Chesham and he used to go to shows with him. Funny how you never know much about your neighbours in this modern world of ours….

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

An excellent day yesterday with @Pierre Le Brun and Digby. Layout fun in the morning…. Finished wiring on fiddle yard board 3, where is that pesky short? Handy to have help on hand to keep resetting controller whilst I reconnect each feed in turn…. Oh dear, who connected a brown dropper to the blue bus? I plead colourblindness m’lud! Also helps when wiring for live frogs If you remember to break the link wires under the point.

We then took a trip up the M5 to Norton …. Faggots peas chips and a pint all round at The Retreat, by common consent excellent food.

The signal box at Norton Junction was basking in the sunshine . Behind the Network Rail sign at Abbotswood, that ruddy great bush is where we used to sit on the embankment. 

And finally a super view of Worcester with Clee in the background from the footpath over bridge by the old barracks site. What a shame about that ‘orrible carbuncle of a new bridge… Will have to be edited out on the back scene.

We put Pierre on his return journey to the Principality at Worcestershire Parkway and went down to Perry Wood to wave him on his way.

Cracking day! Thanks again for help and photos gentlemen.

7EB527C1-E658-44E4-B491-B8E4D0972306.jpeg

5235D5AA-F6DD-4E58-ADD5-435E90287589.jpeg

6EC942E2-1FC7-445E-99EA-C9B9F4120682.jpeg

D6F61D16-9748-4532-9D66-2A0B1B4FCB3B.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Spelling
  • Like 16

6 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

An excellent day yesterday with @Pierre Le Brun and Digby. Layout fun in the morning…. Finished wiring on fiddle yard board 3, where is that pesky short? Handy to have help on hand to keep resetting controller whilst I reconnect each feed in turn…. Oh dear, who connected a brown dropper to the blue bus? I plead colourblindness m’lud! Also helps when wiring for live frogs If you remember to break the link wires under the point.

We then took a trip up the M5 to Norton …. Faggots peas chips and a pint all round at The Retreat, by common consent excellent food.

The signal box at Norton Junction was basking in the sunshine . Behind the Network Rail sign at Abbotswood, that ruddy great bush is where we used to sit on the embankment. 

And finally a super view of Worcester with Clee in the background from the footpath over bridge by the old barracks site. What a shame about that ‘orrible carbuncle of a new bridge… Will have to be edited out on the back scene.

We put Pierre on his return journey to the Principality at Worcestershire Parkway and went down to Perry Wood to wave him on his way.

Smashing to see the progress, even with the odd set back in colour awareness.

Reminds me of the famous snooker commentary when colour television was a new fangled idea.

"For those at home watching in black and white, the red is behind the brown".

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Smashing to see the progress, even with the odd set back in colour awareness.

Reminds me of the famous snooker commentary when colour television was a new fangled idea.

"For those at home watching in black and white, the red is behind the brown".

That sounds like something  dear old Murry Walker would have said. God bless him!

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

That sounds like something  dear old Murry Walker would have said. God bless him!

Regards Lez.

Ah yes but think it was Ted Lowe….

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Long term memory persists it’s the short term! Where am I ? :D

As you get older, your memory is the second thing to go. I can't remember what the first thing was.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Oh THAT bridge, yes it is ugly. Goes over the bypass.

• Like 1

Loved the Ted Lowe quotes "and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green" and the one that was a little risky "Fred Davis, the doyen of snooker, now 67 years of age and too old to get his leg over, prefers to use his left hand"

Ian

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Latest update…. Jim was over today …. track laying completed across fiddle yard board 4 and on to board 5.

Boards 12 & 3 all bought up to standard with all wiring completed, point motors fitted etc. Board connecting cables also installed but am going to have to replace those nice domed Allen bolts with standard hex headed bolts as 3 have already rounded off making extraction difficult.  Shades of maintaining Japanese motorbikes back in the 70s! 

On the rolling stock front have finished fitting shortened Hunt couplings to the Dapol bolster Es …. See the relevant thread …. and have started collecting components for project banana… Dapol bodies on red panda chassis. Just got to remove the wheels from all those new Accurascale minerals and coil As to paint them while they go to Jim for weathering .

Lots going on!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 30/08/2021 at 19:19, Phil Bullock said:

It’s taken long enough but now I have finished work track laying has started working in the fiddle yard… and why do Photos post upside down????

8614A4CF-C95E-4AF7-820A-75045568062E.jpeg

5E868439-8AE9-45C1-9BA9-1466C933B77B.jpeg

On an iPhone the home button has to be on the right when holding it horizontally.

• Thanks 1