Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Been playing with SWMBOs cricut thingy today. 

Stencil was a good start

IMG_0286.jpeg.e7d9e229040d3b89a9e2f6c5f0b96a41.jpeg

Now for some signage …. Some public facing, some to help operators

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Big dilemma tomorrow! With the layout out at the Redditch show this weekend do I keep the board in the kitchen to do more fencing or clear out so SWMBO can bake millionaire’s shortbread? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Big dilemma tomorrow! With the layout out at the Redditch show this weekend do I keep the board in the kitchen to do more fencing or clear out so SWMBO can bake millionaire’s shortbread? 

A woman’s rather or wedded bliss?

You’re a braver man than I am to even contemplate fencing in the kitchen.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Which would be missed more?

Q.E.D. 

Paul.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

On a purely selfish note, as I am not now going to be able to make it, it's fencing over food for me!!

Mike.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

On a purely selfish note, as I am not now going to be able to make it, it's fencing over food for me!!

Mike.

Ah that’s a shame! More cake for us then … 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Good news … the cake won!!! 

Was there ever going to be any other outcome?

(See Q.E.D.above!)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

20240303_110411.jpg.67450771aaf7c775e71b896879fa3f62.jpg

Shattered now, traffic was horrendous, left when it was getting busy.

I hate driving around redditch

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/03/2024 at 12:56, MJI said:

20240303_110411.jpg.67450771aaf7c775e71b896879fa3f62.jpg

Shattered now, traffic was horrendous, left when it was getting busy.

I hate driving around redditch

Was good to see you Martin …. You did well to stand in front of the layout for the time you did, sorry we did not have a seat to offer you! Yes new towns are no fun, especially when they are imposed on an old town!!! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, RobAllen said:

Until you see it in person, it's hard to understand how big this layout is. The scenic section 27' long by 5' deep and really has to be seen.

Abbotswood & Norton Junction

Abbotswood & Norton Junction

Lovely layout.

Thanks Rob…. Nice photos too. The geography is better in this version as confirmed by one resident of Littleworth … between Abbotswood and Norton … who thought he recognised the topography . Took lots of photos when I told him… 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So we had a great weekend … thanks to the club for inviting us! @Reddibus 

Heres a link to a YouTube video… not staged, just represented traffic on Saturday afternoon with @Liam @Pierre Le Brun  @Downendian and Brian Thomas doing the driving

Abbotswood and Norton Junction at the Redditch show

We had our fair share of gremlins over the weekend will talk about those in subsequent posts, but thanks to the above Saturday team plus Digby Wall, James and Chris Pate on the Sunday.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Phil Bullock said:

Was good to see you Martin …. You did well to stand in front of the layout for the time you did, sorry we did not have a seat to offer you! Yes new towns are no fun, especially when they are imposed on an old town!!! 

Was a  really nice layout, I liked the 3rd rail one too. Would have been there at opening if Jack had got up when I called him.

Was OK, until I hit all the closed roads in Redditch, was exhausted when I got home. Still not up to driving on own anyway, hence taking Jack.

Currently bothering Specsavers over an OCT scan suggesting a damaged retina.

Long Covid is pretty horrific and I got off lightly with no lung nor heart damage.

I have not driven to work since 2022 dues to this, work is in - Redditch, because if I did I would need a rest before work, leave before dark rest the next day.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MJI said:

Was a  really nice layout, I liked the 3rd rail one too. Would have been there at opening if Jack had got up when I called him.

Was OK, until I hit all the closed roads in Redditch, was exhausted when I got home. Still not up to driving on own anyway, hence taking Jack.

Currently bothering Specsavers over an OCT scan suggesting a damaged retina.

Long Covid is pretty horrific and I got off lightly with no lung nor heart damage.

I have not driven to work since 2022 dues to this, work is in - Redditch, because if I did I would need a rest before work, leave before dark rest the next day.

Thanks Martin. Yes that 3rd rail London terminus layout …. Belongs to John Tisi I think … is a work of art. Stay safe, hope things get better for you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

We had our fair share of gremlins

Including a lot of smashed up sleepers from the van behind the Hymek?

Paul.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Including a lot of smashed up sleepers from the van behind the Hymek?

Paul.

😀😀 definitely! P way gang working overtime last night

That van had been misbehaving all day…. But it was innocent, turned out the coupling bar on D7054 just needed a tweak 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I can personally vouch for Phil’s sheer hard work and determination to get the layout to this stage, all those hours on the driveway board by board have eventually paid off. Phil has got the contours of the landscape spot on with gentle gradients on both the OWW and Norton/Abbotswood junction lines. Photos really don’t do the scale of the layout justice. We had a superb Midlands curry Friday night and many thanks to @Liam ‘s parents for hosting us, which included a few drams and some rather excellent Shropshire blue. A few issues for Phil to sort before its next outing in July but I hope to run some rakes next time including Clayliners, a PW rake and perhaps even a Tytherington-Redditch stone train. I really enjoyed the show and helping Phil and the crew and the Redditch club really put together an excellent show.

Neil 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Having spoken to the crew the after show post mortem has come up with the following jobs:

1. We had a fair bit of down time on Sunday …. Turns out we were overloading the circuit breakers . Will create a post in DCC section of forum to discuss further.

2. track relaying on north end joining board. There’s a double slip under high level lines causing problems and board to board track not good either.

3. Coaching stock behaved very badly and hardly ran at all … needs sorting.

4. Fettle a few locos … most ran well, derailments down to track issues I hope! 

Enough to keep me busy!

As for future outings….

We are at the GWSR diesel gala again … once more in the Tim Mitchell building. Barbecue outside if anyone needs an incentive! 

GWSR diesel gala

There is talk of an additional local show with 

Cheltenham GWR modellers group … watch this space … and there’s a possible 

return to Redditch for a big anniversary show in a few years . Open to other offers … 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 6