Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Went to 85A Reunion yesterday… a day for railwaymen and enthusiasts organised by the Worcester Locomotive Society. Hoped to pick collective brains on the goods siding at Norton… between the junction and the rail over rail bridge. Well I need not have worried as Michael Clemens gave a slide show previewing a forthcoming book based on the colour photos of Ellis James-Robertson and there will be about 10 photos of Norton in it! Excellent..

• Like 4

I too had a shed-related blast from the past yesterday Phil, as I visited the Engine House at Highley for the first time in two years. It’s looking a lot better now having changed some of the exhibits and in my opinion improved the presentation. Anyway they’ve now made a display of the running board from Stourbridge Junction shed, which includes a working to Norton Jn that if you put the layout back a few years you could try and replicate, but frustratingly it doesn’t reveal the allocated loco! 

DD6629B2-E92F-4013-889D-851D38476D30.jpeg

Edited by Liam
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Liam said:

I too had a shed-related blast from the past yesterday Phil, as I visited the Engine House at Highley for the first time in about two years. It’s looking a lot better now having changed some of the exhibits and in my opinion improved the presentation. Anyway they’ve now made a display of the running board from Stourbridge Junction shed, which includes a working to Norton Jn that if you put the layout back a few years you could try and replicate, but frustratingly it doesn’t reveal the allocated loco! 

DD6629B2-E92F-4013-889D-851D38476D30.jpeg

That’s fascinating! Guessing it’s from 63 ish….

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Definitely earlier than that - 3827 was withdrawn in 1962 and 5795 (if that number is correct or I am reading it properly) was withdrawn in 1960

Cheers Mike . The use of the initials DMU made me think post 58 …

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Definitely earlier than that - 3827 was withdrawn in 1962 and 5795 (if that number is correct or I am reading it properly) was withdrawn in 1960

Yes, have just had a closer look on my phone and the date listed underneath the washing out programme appears to be 24/4/1958. Nonetheless, it’s a fascinating way to discover what motive power was around on the Brum-Stourbridge-Kidderminster-Worcs route among others, and also what workings Stourbridge provided traction for. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stourbridge was the major yard for remarshalling of traffic from South Wales to the West Midlands and the North until Bescot yard opened in the late 60s. It was still worth a visit in 68 with diesel locos stabling next to the station. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of Worcester shed and a few of works. If Worcester area is of interest Jeff you will want Mikes book when it comes out….

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With track laid on fiddle yard boards 1-5 and wiring completed on boards 1-4 decided to jump to t’other end and do the points on board 9 … can more easily align the plain tracks across boards 6-8 rather than get to board 9 and find the point work doesn’t fit .

I do like curved points! And the kick back is so we can feed short trains … DPU, route learner, inspection saloon, LE etc …. Up the B&G up main without obstructing a fiddle yard loop. 

979DD2E8-C139-4B9A-A87D-9C6294173461.jpeg

FF516ABF-A0E9-4554-B094-3CB7F5C727A8.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, younGGuns7 said:

Looking forward to seeing this one in operation, I loved the last one and spent hours watching the vids over again good work Phil :good:

Cheers! You and me too … no layout in the last 3 years so rolling stock has expanded a bit :)

The videos were great fun to make and we will certainly be doing more… 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3

On 18/10/2021 at 12:56, Phil Bullock said:

Plenty of Worcester shed and a few of works. If Worcester area is of interest Jeff you will want Mikes book when it comes out….

Phil

Do you know when it's released, please?

• RMweb Gold

Looks like first day of Autumn outside … can’t work out there so domestic authorities have granted permission to work on point motors and wiring in the kitchen. Probably thinks it’s one way to get the floor hoovered and washed….

image.jpg

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Will do my best Rob although all those salmons herrings sharks dogfish mermaids and trouts are pining for the fjords….

No sir, this salmon is deceased. If it wasn't nailed to the track, it would be pushing up daisies.

I suppose now you're going to tell me you didn't want to be a railway modeller, you wanted to be a LUMBERJACK.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

No sir, this salmon is deceased. If it wasn't nailed to the track, it would be pushing up daisies.

I suppose now you're going to tell me you didn't want to be a railway modeller, you wanted to be a LUMBERJACK.

Possibly…. Does it involve Connie Booth? After all this is a trunk route I am building…..

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Possibly…. Does it involve Connie Booth? After all this is a trunk route I am building…..

It might, but even with your best girl by your side, don't forget the obligatory uniform.

You'd have to wear women's cloths when you went to the pub.

It involves cutting down trees while decked out in high heels, suspenders and, err .... what was the other thing?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

It might, but even with your best girl by your side, don't forget the obligatory uniform.

You'd have to wear women's cloths when you went to the pub.

It involves cutting down trees while decked out in high heels, suspenders and, err .... what was the other thing?

Errrr … not too sure about that thanks but some buttered scones for tea might be welcome!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Plenty of track laying going on but more of same so not boring folks with continued updates. However have had this discolouration on one board …. Any ideas what’s going on folks?

DA63B91C-268F-4EA7-8556-38E6B81BEB6E.jpeg

• Like 2