Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Time to make some decisions!

Permanent way....

Both main lines - Worcester - Oxford and Bham - Gloucester - were CWR on concos, points and crossings on wood

Loops still bullhead

So some scope there for creative trackwork. But code 75 or 100? theres been a couple of threads on here looking at this and suggesting code 100 is perhaps better for CWR....

Theres also the issues of the two junctions. Their geometry really determines the topography of the track on the scenic part of the layout ..... do we stick with Peco - 5ft radius on large Y points isnt it? Or go for something even more gentle with Marcway....??? Need to see how it will work across baseboard joins too.....

And would be good to get the wider ex broad gauge spacing at Norton too....

Will put some photos of prototype up later....

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

https://www.roco.cc/en/product/22679-0-0-0-0-0-0-005002003-0/products.html Could that be any good?  It certainly looks longer than a Peco long radisu point to me.

At the risk of starting a whole new trackwork thread, it's not just about radius, it's about the angle at the frog. Whatever the radius, Peco is always 12 degrees which looks wrong (because it is) and will seriously impact on the smooth curves that Phil needs to make this new Abbotswood/Norton work properly.

For what it's worth, I think that he should look at using Peco Code 82FB with concrete sleepers for the running lines, Peco 75 BH for the loops and have some pointwork handmade to suit. That comes a bit pricey (unless he decides to d-i-y) but there are not so many points on the viewing side of the layout and it will make a huge difference to the finished layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Joseph

At least with a large radius Y point effectively that Peco frog angle is halved as each road effectively diverts from a projected straight line....

Possible no more than 10 points on visible area of layout - scratchbuilding would use too much time , any one any experience with Marcway?

Rich - a lot of the extra length in the Roco point is effectively "dead" straight before the toe - do they do a Y?

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Joseph

At least with a large radius Y point effectively that Peco frog angle is halved as each road effectively diverts from a projected straight line....

Possible no more than 10 points on visible area of layout - scratchbuilding would use too much time , any one any experience with Marcway?

Rich - a lot of the extra length in the Roco point is effectively "dead" straight before the toe - do they do a Y?

Phil

Andy Peters made some points for his Bitton layout. He got down to about one hour per point, I think, with no previous experience.

Marcway are good and will make up to any specification you want, including curved diamonds. If, like me, you have not mastered Templot, someone here could prepare the templates for you.

• RMweb Premium

Time to make some decisions!

Permanent way....

Both main lines - Worcester - Oxford and Bham - Gloucester - were CWR on concos, points and crossings on wood

Loops still bullhead

So some scope there for creative trackwork. But code 75 or 100? theres been a couple of threads on here looking at this and suggesting code 100 is perhaps better for CWR....

Theres also the issues of the two junctions. Their geometry really determines the topography of the track on the scenic part of the layout ..... do we stick with Peco - 5ft radius on large Y points isnt it? Or go for something even more gentle with Marcway....??? Need to see how it will work across baseboard joins too.....

And would be good to get the wider ex broad gauge spacing at Norton too....

Will put some photos of prototype up later....

Phil

Hi Phil

Code 82 or 83 rail is the correct size for 4mm flat bottom rail.

Which type of fixings did the mainline have? Peco do a Pandrol fixing, C&L do/did an ST fixing (common on points) and Colin Craig does the Mk1 and Mk2 base plate.

Hi Phil,

You have such a nice collection of locos and stock, why don't you compliment it with some nice hand built pointwork to run it on. Copperclad is not that difficult and the end result will be worth the extra effort. The track will have a nice 'flow' to it, through the points. It should also be more reliable than the Pecos because they wont be relying on the point blades for electrical contact.

Andy

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 1

Thanks Joseph

Phil

Hi Phil,

Hope all is well. If you get me the point template or do it on templot I can knock some points up for you buddy. In return maybe a little cake or a famous millionaire shortbread :locomotive:  :imsohappy:

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So heading back up the thread to page 4 Clive you very kindly gave me the definitve info on the track.....and Mark, I have those sleepers you kindly sent me

So some trial tracklaying this weekend methinks

Andy - thanks for the comments re the stock, thats exactly what we want to aim for! Theres a cut and shut BFK on the workbench at the moment something else for this weekend, waiting for the blue Bachmann car flats to go with it....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oh gosh is it 6 months since I posted on here?

Projects have been going on in the background - stock now includes the 2 x 5 freightliners for 4S87 and 4S88, and the BFK for the motorail rake is finished along with 3 x FKs renumbered and running on B1 bogies and an RU - all weathered and waiting completion of the car flats which are currently with Jimbo for minor backdating and removal of TOPs wagon IDs. More wagons also weathered....

But look what the postie delivered today...

1317205992_NortonJunctionSB.jpg.87e69a5ac6ca2b546c5ebb9ceb4a3f42.jpg

Many thanks to the excellent team at Narrow Planet...

So theres an incentive to get going

Phil

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Getting nowhere fast with custom build open topped boards with all cross members at the correct height for scenery to go straight on. Largely due to me having no time to engage with possible builders!

So thinking of alternative - flat topped boards with scenery built up with insulation foam as per Black Country Blues

Any experience out there with that method please?

Phil

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Enough thinking and waffling - time for some action.

Norton Junctions up starters were originally next to the bridge but were relocated further back ... the distant was until recently one of the last two working under a home on the same post.

https://images.app.goo.gl/N6KFPRFQg5oiyULQ8

The distant is Gloucester Panels - motor driven - but on our model it will be Abbotswood's distant and wont have a motor on the doll

So got this far tonight

B4CAF823-838C-481D-8228-EE129C469F71.jpeg

Reckon that deserves a pint!

D8E7170F-DBCF-4D8E-A878-9AC35CF9E8CB.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Text added
  • Like 9
  • Funny 1