Maid’s Morton

DavidMcKenzie

Couldn't resist a bit of a play with the new loco. It's not finished, it needs a few extra transfers which won't be here for a while and then weathering. But it was nice to see it on it's wheels and running finally. The photo's also show the progress on OHLE and some small details that are slowly being added trackside.

post-31334-0-34435400-1516205370_thumb.jpg

post-31334-0-16064000-1516205405_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-42155800-1516205501_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-67359000-1516205530_thumb.jpg

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 10

87101 got some jumper cables. They looked so tiny and were so tricky when I cut them out, but they look far too big on the model.

The orange is also far too bright and need toning down which might help make them stand out a bit less.

So still work to do, but I am trying to post as much as possible, including the mistakes, or bits that haven't gone so well. Maybe it will save someone making the same mistake at a later date.

post-31334-0-09151600-1516725946_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good mate. Bit of weathering and they will look fine.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks for your kind comments Jeremy. I left this for a week and when I came back to it I was initially much happier. I think my problem is that I had this photo up on the ipad whilst modelling it. Ever time I look at the photo the jumper cables look way too big, but without the photo as reference they look ok.

In the end I have ordered some thinner wire and will have a crack at the other end and then choose the best of the two ends to detail the buffer beam and have as the forward facing end.

I was using this photo as reference

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/6776468115/in/photolist-dw9qQX-pYKJ4z-ZENfhH-nrAQDG-acxDch-bnzxcJ-nDseom-qCoFat-ZmfR5j-piBaHJ-dEqEBz-by4RZa-fQ5iLq-dw9shz-pb8wDn-dvNbnM-fa55yg-fQ5bAw-gtJAMf-ep168K-BVYJjC-89S1Zu-aBK3LE-bjPaTa-by4Qqt-e4YvL1-EZZbgE-eVtAav-XG3jxa-iqaCeb-T5jBo7-e1Pnd5-fPMwcc-itDD4R-fQ4WT1-aEE7wv-8HjJGU-9b5txG-dEgAqn-9DzBXV-nm8BSA-pL1BmY-f9jW2j-nxsrnx-b24iPF-dESC1Q-dvNL36-bq7VUb-oMx7nu-rmZMYS

Just caught up with the latest update. Looking great David, really like the db red class 90.

You should be very proud with what you have achieved fella.

Look forward to seeing your next update

Phil

Thanks Phil, I am really happy with how it has come out. I will be very nervous doing the last few transfers and weathering now :). So far it has come out better than I had expected. It has been a real confidence booster to know what's possible if I just get stuck in and enjoy myself.

The main development over the last few weeks has been around the fiddle yard and backscene wall. The wall has moved to allow a bigger fiddle yard. This has come at the expense of scenic depth on the 4track section, but I still think I can make something work there. Last week I looked at a lot of pictures from Slindon. Although I won't model it exactly, something like this will give a nice feeling of depth without actually needing much space between the lines and the backscene.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/12751621243/in/photolist-nswHqY-pjStnJ-f9dztp-WJofF5-qss7Kf-resyS2-kqPoJF-qc5QWj-pHGNRP-8HiX7J-rrDVWP-piPJnE-qV5KNo-bw6TYe-r5hKrR-cCf11E-piBaHJ-9jpRbZ-nhiGj1-bfsdCv-aDkETF-rnKFws-e2XRZA-ajxhgr-nTnzoS

Before

post-31334-0-95101800-1518954747_thumb.jpg

After

post-31334-0-39335400-1518955131_thumb.jpg

Although I don't have enough stock to fill all 21 lines yet, it's nice to have some space for the future.

• Like 5

Hi David, 

The 90's all look excellent! 

attachicon.gifIMG_20180218_122027.jpg
I know a eurostar is a bit far fetched, but I believe they did a few wcml tests in around 1998 and the kato model is beautiful so it had a run. 

Not far fetched at all, same reason i run mine, my dad was involved with the north of london Eurostars so i have [plenty of pictures/information.

Graham.

Hi David, 

The 90's all look excellent! 

Not far fetched at all, same reason i run mine, my dad was involved with the north of london Eurostars so i have [plenty of pictures/information.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the kind comment on the 90s, I have really enjoyed doing them.

Your dads work sounds very interesting, how often was a eurostar actually run on the wcml? I managed to find a few (but not many) pictures online that proves that it had actually happened, but I didn't find too much detailed info.

Dave

When I got in today a packet of transfers from railtec was waiting for me. The last transfers have been applied and have made the model look a lot more life like, just a light weathering to go now.

I am very impressed with the transfers, especially the 3D nameplates and badges. They look even better in real life than on my mobile phone photos.

post-31334-0-70033600-1519068227_thumb.jpg

post-31334-0-36890700-1519068715_thumb.jpg

post-31334-0-75603300-1519068744_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Absolutely stunning fella.

That and 87101 are a very nice pair to have on 90's era wcml layout. Superb choice of model.

Just re read your thread from the beginning. Didn't realise that your spotting day's is only a few miles down the road from me. Deffo a interesting range of freight flows through Tring in those day's

Phil

Edited by porkie

This is turning out to be a great layout, and such rapid progress since the first post last year. 

It is already capturing the WCML atmosphere, and I have trouble believing the catenary supports and droppers are actually 2mm scale.  I look forward to more progress in the coming months, and can wallow in nostalgia for the loco-hauled days. 

Yes, Eurostars did run on test trains during 1997. 

Here is 373302 passing Atherstone in July 97. 

post-4474-0-22829200-1519145257_thumb.jpg

And 373312 also at Atherstone in August of that year. 

post-4474-0-43823300-1519145266_thumb.jpg

At the same time, 37/6s ran with barrier wagons just in case things did not go according to plan. This is 37606 and 37605 at Atherstone in July 1997. 

post-4474-0-59537900-1519145275_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the kind comment on the 90s, I have really enjoyed doing them.

Your dads work sounds very interesting, how often was a eurostar actually run on the wcml? I managed to find a few (but not many) pictures online that proves that it had actually happened, but I didn't find too much detailed info.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Spoke to my dad today about the north of London Eurostars, he was involved with training from July 97 to march 98, Mon to Fri two trains were run daily from Manchester to Bletchley, he did add that trains were run through the night testing signalling equipment.

I'm sure he'll provide more information if required.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning fella.

That and 87101 are a very nice pair to have on 90's era wcml layout. Superb choice of model.

Just re read your thread from the beginning. Didn't realise that your spotting day's is only a few miles down the road from me. Deffo a interesting range of freight flows through Tring in those day's

Phil

Hi Phil,

Yeah I spent plenty of hours a tring station as a kid. It was such an interesting spot in the mid 90s. So many different workings, lots of interesting frieght with 47s,37s and 31s all common alongside the 86 and 90s. Ontop of that mail and plenty of high speed loco hauled mk2 and mk3 services as well as a constant stream of 321 and 319s and the odd HST.

I just wish I had taken more pictures at the time :)

All the best

Dave

Hi,

Have to agree, the 90's look fantastic! Have you got any others on your wish list?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

There will be more 90s for sure, I have a virgin and an EWS waiting for some detailing, 90128 is slowly getting better after my first attempt at painting went a bit wrong and I would also like to do another intercity and a railfreight distribution model in the future, but I think for the next few months I am going to try and put a bit more energy into both the layout itself and a bit of stock variety.

All the best

Dave

This is turning out to be a great layout, and such rapid progress since the first post last year. 

It is already capturing the WCML atmosphere, and I have trouble believing the catenary supports and droppers are actually 2mm scale.  I look forward to more progress in the coming months, and can wallow in nostalgia for the loco-hauled days. 

Yes, Eurostars did run on test trains during 1997. 

Here is 373302 passing Atherstone in July 97. 

attachicon.gif373302 atherstone 7:97.jpg

And 373312 also at Atherstone in August of that year. 

attachicon.gif373312 atherstone 8:97.jpg

At the same time, 37/6s ran with barrier wagons just in case things did not go according to plan. This is 37606 and 37605 at Atherstone in July 1997. 

attachicon.gif37606 05 atherstone 7:97.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments Jonny, I am really enjoying modelling at the moment which has made progress a bit easier. I have been taking the 'little and often' approach and it works well for me, other than I never seem to tidy up at the moment :).

Thanks for the great pictures, the eurostar looks great on the wcml and I am especially interested in those class 37s, I think I might have a go at modelling that train. They would be a great addition and I didn't know anything about them before seeing your pictures.

All the best

Dave

Hi Dave,

Spoke to my dad today about the north of London Eurostars, he was involved with training from July 97 to march 98, Mon to Fri two trains were run daily from Manchester to Bletchley, he did add that trains were run through the night testing signalling equipment.

I'm sure he'll provide more information if required.

cheers

Graham.

Thanks Graham, great to have a bit more reliable info on the eurostar operations. As I said above I was especially interested in adding the class 37 helper unit at some point. Do you know how this was operated? Did it always follow on directly behind as the next thing down the line after the eurostar? Or was it just stationed 'on call' as it were.

Thanks again for the info

All the best

Dave