Maid’s Morton

DavidMcKenzie

I love the front end bufferbeam detailing on the class 90 - is it a kit?

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

It's not a kit, the air dam and buffers are orginal and just cut off the boggies and glued onto the body with a bit of filling and trimming to make it look right and clear the boggies in the corners.

The hoses all come from other model wagons, mostly Dapol. I will eventualy detail the back of the last wagon for each rake, but the hoses for the middle of the wagon rakes I don't think I will bother with. In reality they would be connected and not hanging anyway, so I have saved them all for models like this. They needed a little yellow or red paint and then a 0.5mm hole drilling in the buffer beam for location, but other than that nothing special. If you want any specific photos or info let me know.

All the best

Dave

Just spent half hour adding plenty of items to the wish list. The new rfd 47 from farish looks good and 47s like this ran through tring and along the wcml often during the mid90s.

The intercity mainline version looks nice as well, but from memory they were all in intercity swallow livery by the mid and late 90s. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Regards

Dave

Ooh that's a good question dave,

It was still in the mainline livery in 2007. From pic's I have just seen, it was used on engineers and infrastructure workings in the 90's. So it's possible it did run on the WCML.

http://31arailwayphotography.weebly.com/immingham-12th-october-2007.html

Edited by porkie

• 2 weeks later...

It was still in the mainline livery in 2007. From pic's I have just seen, it was used on engineers and infrastructure workings in the 90's. So it's possible it did run on the WCML.http://31arailwayphotography.weebly.com/immingham-12th-october-2007.html

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your post. That is a good way to look at it, I was trying to find exact photos of a mainline livery 47 on the wcml during the modelled period. I didn't think of looking at the livery later in the locos life.

I found plenty of intercity swallow pictures like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/14525386775/in/photolist-o8ypr2-asBiDu-Vm91Gg-qyueer-bqMLFJ-gTxfwT-ixAhKg-rfLszY-oGayJP-qVjkQF-fHA4gJ-rvFpaa-oU7QVf-gHAtds-niGZiV-qoDjG8-9rkx93-i6V12M-h8VPBc-Us6eLE-FwGVRo-pc9dVd-S9NH51-cU73hJ-pMvXze-ntdmYK-bkCjNy-cXQ1kb-nGLHJ7-nW4zvD-dFPdSL-21RDKmw-ph8Kon-qm5PYu-9ZaEjD-aBvwL1-eaAFrj-d8eRAN-f6hvqz-W5YRJm-8Dmkm7-axWCsH-rvcYQE-e1rkE7-FQBbHG-TE4Wja-pQtZrV-S6fihH-fFdfDN-bkABwY

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/14605248406/in/photolist-h3FhPj-bsZHXm-dyEu4w-UncJJB-noTpQa-osns7Z-ofBHvG-WVC4je-oE8SeA-23r2UR4-rt74XB-hJE84M-dQ7g2k-qVm9rV-8NFAtc-gqs7S5-9ykxfa-wwu5q3-nKNKtL-qyZLcH-cTPQFs-prxPjf-o3YyfB-9D4q1G-qm5Nmw-8WMBUa-o2KVZ7-eE8uXu-mNzVQh-pTH6KJ-9vXjeg-pfLe3d-ek1VPG-rcsmj6-jbLVEE-r1D5eM-rbZaze-nzFLiB-rQ7GYW-eKkdxn-rZDXpZ-eccdzL-pi7AAN-9KjjMs-o1AgLZ-oE8SsG-qUNgyr-dgF4zQ-p1ZHVZ-n6U8ge

but the only mainline photos I've found so far were a bit earlier like this one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishrail1980sand1990s/16533237747/in/photolist-rbZaze-nzFLiB-rQ7GYW-eKkdxn-rZDXpZ-eccdzL-pi7AAN-9KjjMs-o1AgLZ-oE8SsG-qUNgyr-dgF4zQ-p1ZHVZ-n6U8ge-Vx8pKC-o8ypr2-asBiDu-Vm91Gg-qyueer-bqMLFJ-gTxfwT-ixAhKg-rfLszY-oGayJP-qVjkQF-fHA4gJ-rvFpaa-oU7QVf-gHAtds-niGZiV-qoDjG8-9rkx93-i6V12M-h8VPBc-Us6eLE-FwGVRo-pc9dVd-S9NH51-cU73hJ-pMvXze-ntdmYK-bkCjNy-cXQ1kb-nGLHJ7-nW4zvD-dFPdSL-21RDKmw-ph8Kon-qm5PYu-9ZaEjD

All the best

Dave

Model making has mainly been woodwork for the last few weeks. It's not my strongest point, but the wall is in it's new position and the fiddle yard has a new 'roof'. It's on hinges and opens when needed. The stock can stay out now without collecting dust. One of the next jobs will be to get the fiddle yard laid properly.

post-31334-0-73861100-1520545186_thumb.jpg

post-31334-0-54596600-1520545206_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I couldn't resist running a few trains between all the woodwork.

An intercity service heads north to Glasgow, whilst on the slow line a dutch 37 heads south with an engineers train carrying old sleepers and rubbish.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180307_212734.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180307_212819.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180307_215213.jpg

Looks great David! Lovin’ the Intercity 90 and matching mk3’s. OHLE is coming on well too.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Just spent half hour adding plenty of items to the wish list. The new rfd 47 from farish looks good and 47s like this ran through tring and along the wcml often during the mid90s.

The intercity mainline version looks nice as well, but from memory they were all in intercity swallow livery by the mid and late 90s. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Regards

Dave

It was still in the mainline livery in 2007. From pic's I have just seen, it was used on engineers and infrastructure workings in the 90's. So it's possible it did run on the WCML.

http://31arailwayphotography.weebly.com/immingham-12th-october-2007.html

If memory serves (and there is a good chance it doesn't), Mainline was kept for Railfreight sector locos that were likely to be 'borrowed' by the Intercity sector, whilst Swallow was applied to locos in the Intercity sector.

Looks great David! Lovin’ the Intercity 90 and matching mk3’s. OHLE is coming on well too.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. The OHLE has really added a lot to the feel of layout already. especially impressive seeing as so little other scinic work has been done so far.

They need a little final detailing and weathering before being glued in. The photo's also show that I need to make sure they are all square when I set them permanently :) (they are just held with bluetac for now).

All the best

Dave

Hi Dave,

I’m liking the dust free storage yard, and love the picture of the 90 on the mainline, the cant on the track work is spot on!

Graham.

Thanks Graham,

Yeah the cant looks good now trains are running along, I settled on a max of 0.75mm plastic card and then slowly ramped down to flat with different thickness of card. I am not sure if that scales perfectly to reality or not, but it feels nice that it's noticeable without beeing too much.

I am hoping the gravel will set it all even more securely when I get that far, but a close up picture of how it looks at the moment is below.

post-31334-0-73593100-1520621328_thumb.jpg

All the best

Dave

• Like 3

If memory serves (and there is a good chance it doesn't), Mainline was kept for Railfreight sector locos that were likely to be 'borrowed' by the Intercity sector, whilst Swallow was applied to locos in the Intercity sector.

Thanks, what you say would make sense from the photo's I've seen so far. The mainline livery looks like it's heading as many frieght trains as passenger trains.

All the best

Dave

• 1 month later...

Whilst the weather has been so nice here progress has been a bit slower than usual over the last few months.

But things are slowly moving forward with electonics and fiddle yard laying.

Last week I finally managed to get back to modeling. The photos below are a rough start on the tunnel mouth at what would be the north end of the countryside section. I am not sure if this will be the final iteration, but it's nice to be making progress again.

post-31334-0-49880200-1525438433_thumb.jpg

post-31334-0-82009000-1525438847_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Jeremy.

I was having a play yesterday with different length trains. The full length rakes almost look too long, the layout is just too small. The loco was disappearing into the tunnel at the north end about the same time as the dvt was just coming out of the south end.

I read somewhere about using trains of 2/3 length working well in n gauge. I would say that also looked about right to me on this section of track with a 6 coach rake. I am very jelous of layouts like your euston and dallam, where full length trains don't look out of place. But I think I'm going to have to settle on something shorter. Especially considering that most of the freight trains need to be longer than passanger trains to look right.

The other thing I need to consider is how many different freight trains I will be able to afford if they are all 20-30 wagons long.

Keeping my fingers crossed on the 321s. Hopefully we will get some positive news soon.

All the best

Dave

Thanks Graham, yeah it's amazing how the catenary gives the WCML feeling even though the background is nothing more than newspaper and glue at the moment.

I am looking forward to getting stuck into some scenic work soon.

All the best

Dave

Hi David,

Not sure how I have missed your layout. Its looking brilliant and just my era aswell!! Your model of 90129 looks great which reminds me I need to get mine done, sorry started. With regards 90128, did you apply the white stripes first and allowing to dry before applying the yellow stripes?  Regards the warning panel yellow, I had the same issue, see here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77518-dallam-sidings-warrington-n-gauge-wcml-2001/page-32&do=findComment&comment=2681935

Fortunately it appears Railmatch 304 Warning Yellow pre 1984 is a pretty good match to the SNCB yellow stripes, ended up rubbing the old yellow off and starting again. Still need to fit the nameplates and plaques/arrows.

Now on the follow list, certainly got the WCML feel to it! Echo what Graham said about the last picture, it looks 'right' even at this stage if that makes sense, it will look great with all the scenics added. :sungum:

Cheers

Simon

That’s coming together nicely David and your 87 looks great!

I’d place the signal gantry maybe a little further along the mainline so it’s not quite so close to the tunnel. Just an idea.

Keep up the good work and enjoying the updates.

Best regards,

Jeremy

thanks for the tip Jeremy, you're right the gantry is too close to the tunnel. I think eventually I might place it just before the sweep in the track.

Getting started with modelling has made me look at and notice all kind of thing's I never gave a thought too before. Signal position is just another example. Before your comment I never gave a thought to how close a signal is to a tunnel mouth.

All the best

Dave

Hi David,

Not sure how I have missed your layout. Its looking brilliant and just my era aswell!! Your model of 90129 looks great which reminds me I need to get mine done, sorry started. With regards 90128, did you apply the white stripes first and allowing to dry before applying the yellow stripes?  Regards the warning panel yellow, I had the same issue, see here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77518-dallam-sidings-warrington-n-gauge-wcml-2001/page-32&do=findComment&comment=2681935

Fortunately it appears Railmatch 304 Warning Yellow pre 1984 is a pretty good match to the SNCB yellow stripes, ended up rubbing the old yellow off and starting again. Still need to fit the nameplates and plaques/arrows.

Now on the follow list, certainly got the WCML feel to it! Echo what Graham said about the last picture, it looks 'right' even at this stage if that makes sense, it will look great with all the scenics added. :sungum:

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for your kind comment Simon, nice that you are following seeing as your layouts have given me a lot of motivation to get stuck in myself. I'm not quite in the league of your brilliant dallam layout yet, but I am having a lot of fun and learning a lot about modelling along the way. It's a great priod to model. I've got so caught up with all the different and interesting stock and livery possibilities I've had to really force myself to give some effort and attention to the layout as well.

Thanks for the tips for 90128, I need to get back to it at some point. I wondered what the white decals were for, so obvious now you've told me :). I think I will order another set before starting again from scratch. Thanks also for the colour, I kept mixing something closer and closer, but I've never got it exactly right so I will give that a go.

All the best

Dave