Maid’s Morton

DavidMcKenzie

On 16/04/2019 at 18:21, 87023Velocity said:

Nice work David, that will look very smart when done. Should get my finger out and do Dallam!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon. 

Doing the other 3 lines I had a thought about how on earth you'd tackle putting the wires up over a baseboard join. I must admit I was lost for idea's. It would be a challenge. But if you find a way I'd recommend it. Dallams already one of my personal favourites and even without the wire's you've captured that wcml 'feel' superbly. 

All the best

Dave

• Like 1

Nice to see the NSE livery under the wire's. Although there is always place for more stock :), I am looking forward to revolutions class 321 and the farish 319. The thing missing at the moment for representing the WCML in the mid 90s are the NSE EMUs. 

Happy easter and all the best

Dave

IMG_20190418_215909.jpg.954e56ba0060e96f9465561956455e34.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

24 minutes ago, branchie said:

Dave.

What static grass have you used? 

Hi branchie,

There is a mix of all sorts. The background is closer to finished and that was this mainly a base of this stuff from noch.

IMG_20190421_185355.jpg.476ebd3891d56f77a00b29780b18f5e5.jpg

All the detailing and different shades/lengths are from WWS.

IMG_20190421_185210.jpg.be2104870acc0d3b9a870566d6e8cebd.jpg

In the forground there is still plent of work to do. I was thinking about doing on of the fields as a freshly cut hay field. But at least for now there is a base of this from woodland scenics

IMG_20190421_185222.jpg.c99d21578427f04b643dcf0e4ea4bc44.jpg

It's also not only static grass with all sorts of mainly woodland scenics scatters used as well.

Is there a specific area that you were especially interested in? I could then maybe give a more specific answer :)

All the best

Dave

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, branchie said:

Thanks for the reply Dave. That's really useful.

The area I like is that in front of the left hand tunnel. I just like the varition in texture, height and colour. The whole scene just looks so realistic. 

That area was a basis of the noch grass. But then added ontop were different scatters from woodland scenics and longer grasses from WWS.

I found it helped to look at both photos and the real thing. Even though it's a completely fictional location, getting hints on where the grass grows longer and which different colours are there in reality has been very helpful. 

All the best

Dave

• Like 1

Dave 

The overhead line, greenery and rolling stock look great. 

I am just not so sure about the bridge/ tunnel in the background. With the scenery on top it looks more like a tunnel and 4 track tunnels are quite rare due to the method on construction - the inside of tunnels are generally circular to support the weight of the ground above. Wider road tunnels are generally built cut and cover with big concrete slabs often with buildings on top. There are examples of road tunnels which are landscaped above but I can not think of any rail examples at present but maybe other people can. Perhaps the original tunnel collapsed and it was rebuilt cut and cover with landscaping on top to maintain the countryside? 

Regards 

Nick

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stivesnick said:

Dave 

The overhead line, greenery and rolling stock look great. 

I am just not so sure about the bridge/ tunnel in the background. With the scenery on top it looks more like a tunnel and 4 track tunnels are quite rare due to the method on construction - the inside of tunnels are generally circular to support the weight of the ground above. Wider road tunnels are generally built cut and cover with big concrete slabs often with buildings on top. There are examples of road tunnels which are landscaped above but I can not think of any rail examples at present but maybe other people can. Perhaps the original tunnel collapsed and it was rebuilt cut and cover with landscaping on top to maintain the countryside? 

Regards 

Nick

Agree with you there Nick. It's my first attempt at a layout and I got a bit far before I realized my mistake. I decided not to change it, partly because the baseboard wood the tracks run on is only narrow enough for the four track mainline without tunnel mouths. I would have to go right back to the baseboard to change it, I also don't think it'll be my last mistake on the first layout :)and I am keeping my expectations in check and just enjoying modelling and learning along the way. It was part of the reason for modelling somewhere fictional to allow a few mistakes like that rather than modelling a real location and being tied to doing something exact. 

On the 'other side' of the layout I realized in time and have changed it. You can see in the background of the picture below.

IMG_20190215_224732.jpg.ef431481c8984dba63dfaf9bfa0faed7.jpg

The closest I could find isn't a tunnel, but a road bridge which will have to do for now and gave me a few modelling tips at least as in the link below. 

Class 87 On The Curve.

All the best

Dave

• Like 4

Managed to sneak a half hour weathering session in on the class 60. It's not a new loco, but I still don't have a rake for it to pull and I'm totally undecided on what would be most interesting. I know a MGR rake would probably suit it best, but I've seen some very interesting photo's of this livery hauling other thing's on the wcml and the 'sector's' didn't seem to be too rigidly stuck to looking at old photo's. Amoung other thing's steel and petroleum trains were headed by 'coal' class 60s. 

IMG_20190424_210425.jpg.8f05a6ffcd36de882d21436574c326ad.jpg

Still not sure how far to go with the weathering. Especially on the roof. So I've stopped for now and will take another look in a few day's. I don't want it to end up heavily weathered. 

IMG_20190424_210402.jpg.81c877ad5b1bec5c181e1fed74d9d670.jpg

All the best

Dave

• Like 8

The foreground fence went in. It's a little bit shinny in the lights, so I'll need to dull that down before it's completely finished. I also need to think about how to make the two fences that will join this at right angles. Might be a little fiddly to do it in situ. 

The intercity class 86 going by behind the fence still needs some work (photograph and buffer beam etc.) But I really like the directional lighting and the detail in the base model. It's a lovely model. Much more advanced than the older farish intercity 87s and 90s. 

All the best

Dave

IMG_20190424_200314.jpg.b84dfc90154fe97ae3f2351ec9924e87.jpg

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 13

The fences separating the fields went in. It was awkward trying to fit them to the existing fence in situ, but in the end it's all worked out. IMG_20190502_221456.jpg.bdc7e10614eab3255501ff8e8afe8e00.jpg

Now the fencing is in place I can work on detailing the foreground scenery further as well as adding a few small scenes like the one below. I will add a farmer at some point opening the gate and taking a moment to watch a train go by. 

IMG_20190502_213428.jpg.e2ee9b17d087f29b2889b03767263b4a.jpgIMG_20190503_083349.jpg.09982890e5c85510f4fee9718da0e0aa.jpg

All the best

Dave

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A mid 90s wcml layout needs a few class 86s :). Because the base model is so good I've hardly done anything to them yet. But seeing as the sun is out I thought I'd take them out in the garden and have a go at improving them, starting with 86213 in intercity livery. 

IMG_20190508_181925.jpg.0eee9526f75a6aec69bb368b02fd6f8c.jpg

All lined up ready to get started.

IMG_20190515_175249.jpg.4dad0fc0e3f98668f3689bf5db32de2d.jpg

IMG_20190515_175212.jpg.36c7e9f0cab1d9a4d25fd19be771f8d8.jpg

A few close ups 'worts and all'. The livery has been slightly updated with black around the cab, the buffer beam detailing and the pantograph have been done and then a light weathering. I actually find the light weather hardest to do and it's by no means perfect, but it's been a very enjoyable little project.

IMG_20190515_171820.jpg.635eea5cfeabcde936fa7b4c1c35dacd.jpg

Stabled out on the layout. This siding wasn't intended to be a photo spot and was intended to just be a bit of background, but the lighting has made it a good little photo corner for now whilst the rest of the layout develops. At some point I should bring the camera down here. All photo's upto now are taken on my old mobile phone. 

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 10

23 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

And one of it out and about on the layout.

IMG_20190515_163025.jpg.0cd4a7f3d45697bb052d23f6e5d2c604.jpg

All the best

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have (at last) managed to get around to reading your thread. I am particularly impressed with the OHLE and the scenery. If I could offer advice on your weathering of stock I would suggest a little fading.. I know you check Shirebrook regularly, take a close look at the locos, the area around the cantrail is faded, then the roof is dirtied t(to varying degrees). On you 86 above I would fade the front of the cab roof, and then weather it (add dirt). If you look at the picture of the class 87 locos I painted, (I hope) you can see the fading and the dirt on the cab roofs, the locos are otherwise pretty clean, it is only subtle but it is there.

I hope you can see similar on the 56 as compared to the 20. The full brake at rear has also been treated in the same way.

Cheers and Regards 

Duncan

IMG_0857 (2).JPG

IMG_0822 (2).JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

55 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Dave,

I have (at last) managed to get around to reading your thread. I am particularly impressed with the OHLE and the scenery. If I could offer advice on your weathering of stock I would suggest a little fading.. I know you check Shirebrook regularly, take a close look at the locos, the area around the cantrail is faded, then the roof is dirtied t(to varying degrees). On you 86 above I would fade the front of the cab roof, and then weather it (add dirt). If you look at the picture of the class 87 locos I painted, (I hope) you can see the fading and the dirt on the cab roofs, the locos are otherwise pretty clean, it is only subtle but it is there.

I hope you can see similar on the 56 as compared to the 20. The full brake at rear has also been treated in the same way.

Cheers and Regards 

Duncan

IMG_0857 (2).JPG

IMG_0822 (2).JPG

Thanks Duncan, that's a really useful tip for a beginner like me. It's the simple things like that which often go almost un-noticed, but add to the realistic effect without standing out.

How have you faded roof? Is that painted with a slightly faded tone of the base colour or have you used thinners (or simmilar) to dull down the cab roof before giving it a light weathering?

Thanks again for the tip and all the best.

Dave

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Thanks Duncan, that's a really useful tip for a beginner like me. It's the simple things like that which often go almost un-noticed, but add to the realistic effect without standing out.

How have you faded roof? Is that painted with a slightly faded tone of the base colour or have you used thinners (or simmilar) to dull down the cab roof before giving it a light weathering?

Thanks again for the tip and all the best. 

Dave

Hi Dave,

I use an air brush and Precision enamels but there are other methods.The enamels are thinned with white spirit, and thinned further when being used for 'weathering'. When I am fading 'rail blue' I over spray it with either Provinical Light blue or Barclays blue, as i only spray very light coats the base colour (rail blue) is visible through it. When completely dry at least 24 hours but I normally wait for 48, i spray on the dirt, track colour oil leakings but you can experiment. Why do I leave the fade blue to dry for 48 hours, if I mess up with the dirt I can clean it off with thinners (white spirit) without fear of taking the fade off, a short blast od air only will evaporate any thinners and I can have another go! Below is a phot I took tonight of a Taylor class 87 (kit) which I have built and painted, and my conversion of a Taylor 87 kit to a class 86 which show the weathering.... the 87 roof is very faded warning yellow on a dense white base, then dirt added. There is other weathering on the bodies....

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1181.JPG

• Like 5

On 15/05/2019 at 21:03, Duncan. said:

After Duncan's help and advice I had a go at the cab roofs.

The first attempt was a bit too light I think and didn't fit with the lightly weathered look I was trying for.

IMG_20190518_095552.jpg.3ecbe8f338189d1851cf41981bf946bc.jpg

After making it a bit darker 

IMG_20190518_205014.jpg.552682e12acaba30f3b6f0a8089ce4f8.jpg

• Like 9