Maid’s Morton

DavidMcKenzie

Nice work Dave, We had a running day on Shirebrook last weekend and a Pullman set found its way there too, but pulled by A4 Union Of South Africa! Photos may appear on Shirebrook thread in due course.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the photos Union of South Africa on your layout Duncan. How have you got on with the model? Is it a Dapol A4? After the last running session I've had my eye on one. It looks like an amazing model.

Your running day looked like a lot of fun from the pictures.

All the best

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

The forest right side of the forest got thickened out a bit and some colour verity added. By no means finished and I would like the trees to stretch right into the right hand corner with time. 

I'm trying to go for a believable backdrop without taking too much attention away from the trains on this section as it's a part of the railway where I enjoy just watching the trains go by. 

Before

558838419_IMG-20190907-WA00012.jpg.14141f9f85d7edd05e445aa068684fdb.jpg

After

1490207048_IMG-20190907-WA00032.jpg.2e11a89cde9639665da826275e0cc704.jpg

A few photos of angles more appropriate to viewing trains.IMG_20190908_151801.jpg.cf52eb90bb99c294f0b4125af526eb1f.jpgIMG_20190908_151938.jpg.9e947c452bd926f6858cf0657a43fff1.jpg

As always any tips or comments are welcome. 

All the best

Dave

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Dave,

It is looking just fine Dave. Back drop, just sky be it sunny or cloudy or part and part... Put yourself where you would be stood 'watching the trains go by, (trackside), you would not see anything beyond that line of trees other than... sky.. there's your answer

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks fantastic to me! I like the idea of effectively having two separate parts of the layout.

If I'm allowed to be hyper-critical, the ERMEWA silver bullets are much more recent (and far less common), the DB 90 would have hauled NACCO or NACCO/ECC branded silver bullets.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

Looks fantastic to me! I like the idea of effectively having two separate parts of the layout.

If I'm allowed to be hyper-critical, the ERMEWA silver bullets are much more recent (and far less common), the DB 90 would have hauled NACCO or NACCO/ECC branded silver bullets.

Always allowed to be hyper critical. I consider myself very much a beginner. I have lots to learn and will make plenty of mistakes along the way.  Comments like that are both interesting and helpful.

I had never noticed or realized the livery difference. I got the first two wagons in the weathered state which are the ERMEWA wagons. Because it was a nice model I made up the rest of the rake with 6 (very shinny unweathered) NACCO/ECC wagons which one day I'll weather myself. When I give them a weather I'll go over the 2 ERMEWA ones and remove the branding. 

This is one of the 6 which I'm hoping I've got lucky with and is in the right livery for the time period

IMG_20190909_151157.jpg.7a3fc9e2fbf0955c58755b9b32d4acd1.jpg

Thanks for the tip.

All the best

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Yep, certainly is. There are still a handful which still either have ECC branding (which I think started to be removed in the late-90s, but 'before my time'), so I think NACCO/ECC is correct, although I'll wager some were plain NACCO even then. Without wishing to turn it into a sales pitch I've got 2 weathered NACCO/ECC ones I've yet to put on eBay if of any interest.

The silver bullet is a lovely wagon, I just wish they ran better, I find mine really inconsistent. Probably says as much about my track laying though!

16 hours ago, njee20 said:

Yep, certainly is. There are still a handful which still either have ECC branding (which I think started to be removed in the late-90s, but 'before my time'), so I think NACCO/ECC is correct, although I'll wager some were plain NACCO even then. Without wishing to turn it into a sales pitch I've got 2 weathered NACCO/ECC ones I've yet to put on eBay if of any interest.

The silver bullet is a lovely wagon, I just wish they ran better, I find mine really inconsistent. Probably says as much about my track laying though!

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think a longer rake will work on the layout. I am even thinking about reducing it to 7 wagons to be sure not to have any issues on the tight curves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a picture of how a section of track with overhead lines comes to be without the line? I was thinking about the bletchly branchline or Crewe to North Wales for example. At the link to the wcml at the station the branch is also running under the wires, but at some point the wires stop and I have never noticed exactly how this happens (or would have happened in the 90s if there is a difference). 

I am thinking about the branch coming out of the station and although I am only at the stage of finalizing and then testing the track before going further with scenic work, if there is a specific track layout when the wires stop it would be good to incorporate it at this stage.

All the best

Dave

• RMweb Gold
On 29/09/2019 at 06:28, DavidMcKenzie said:

Does anyone have a picture of how a section of track with overhead lines comes to be without the line? I was thinking about the bletchly branchline or Crewe to North Wales for example. At the link to the wcml at the station the branch is also running under the wires, but at some point the wires stop and I have never noticed exactly how this happens (or would have happened in the 90s if there is a difference). 

I am thinking about the branch coming out of the station and although I am only at the stage of finalizing and then testing the track before going further with scenic work, if there is a specific track layout when the wires stop it would be good to incorporate it at this stage.

All the best

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'll try dig a picture out for you, but basically the OHL would be tied off to a side post after a suitable distance - for example if you look at the OHL on the Crewe-Chester line that gives access to Crewe Electric Depot, a good loco length beyond the point in to the depot, the OHL moves from being zig-zag along the centre line to a side post.  It is connected to this side post through an insulator.

Rich

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Some locations, the track splits with no overhead on that stretch. Here is Springs Branch junction, the tracks to Liverpool branch off with no wires in place. This is different now as the route to Liverpool has now been wired. 

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the kind response it's a big help, I am not doing a specific location but despite my modelling skills letting me down on occasion I am still trying hard to make it as realistic as I can manage and it was one of the things I had no idea about at all. 

I was expecting something more complex than the wires simply stopping. I don't really know what I was expecting exactly to be honest but maybe some kind of system to stop an electric train getting into a muddle and being run onto a bit of track without OHL through incorrectly set points, drive error etc. 

The video above from spring Branch and an onboard video of the cab view from leaving bletchly look a lot less complex than I was imagining. 

Thanks again for all the info above.

All the best

Dave

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

I was expecting something more complex than the wires simply stopping. I don't really know what I was expecting exactly to be honest but maybe some kind of system to stop an electric train getting into a muddle and being run onto a bit of track without OHL through incorrectly set points, drive error etc. 

Hi David,

That bit is as complex as a black text on white background sign saying “Electric locomotives must not pass this point.” 

A good example of ‘keeping it simple!’

Rich

• Like 1

A fun running session last night, I think subconsciously I must have been in a mood for RFD. I realized when uploading the photos that I haven't photographed anything else despite almost all the stock getting a run at some point:huh:.

37 double heading a steel working and slowly trudging north being overtaken by a Euston to Glasgow service. The 37 still needs some attention around the buffer beam area. I like how 37s look with a snowplow, but I am not sure that would have been so common in summer on the south part of the WCML. Must investigate a bit further before this one gets some attention. 

IMG_20191003_113702.jpg.858ea72c8c8fcbae7e4451b7e4ba7d57.jpg

A class 90 heading south. This photo highlights how high my backboards need to be. They are too short at the moment. Maybe I also need to learn photo shop to extend the sky, no idea how involved that is, but it might be the easier option. 

IMG_20191003_154241.jpg.446b25b8f07519ca4bc4c1260100ebda.jpg

More to follow

All the best

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 11

This section of the layout is really nice Dave, I might suggest that you take the airbrush to the ballast and just gently add some toning, the photographs show up the stark nature of the ballast at the moment, unless you want to have all four lines of very freshly ballasted track!  My apologies if you do. Everything else from the OHLE knitting to the general lie of the land , the fencing and trees look really good.

Cheers

Duncan

• Agree 1

Totally agree with you Duncan, it's on the job list. I keep putting it off because I can't make my mind up how heavy to go with the weathering and I've had a bit of a play on the other side of the layout that is far from finished and much less disappointing if I make a mistake and have to rip it all up again. But I haven't been brave enough to get the countryside section done yet. 

A few options:

More heavily weathered on the fast line heading down past the yard.

IMG_20191004_174903.jpg

Then different levels of weathering on the slow line out of the station and the yard. I am tending to think the second from the right is probably a good level of weathering to repeat on the open countryside section. But would value other people's inputs and opinions. I don't think there is a 'wrong' level of weathering because I am not modeling a specific spot during a specific time window, just looking to add as much as I can to the wcml feeling. 

IMG_20191004_174927.jpg.b6fa5fc52d91b67cd8f2476ff7cd7156.jpg

Thanks for the constructive tips and comments, always good to have help and inputs along the way. 

All the best

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Northbound class 60IMG_20191003_153614.jpg.af30a676d7c1c338cdf8624a6da2e04d.jpg

Northbound class 90 hauling some new VGA vans that need weathing over the winter. I only realized when uploading the photos that it was running with the pantograph down......:lol_mini2:

IMG_20191003_153045.jpg.bb63d1a9d8fe340d7606d6f04b28c73f.jpg

VERY impressive Dave, i love these shots, especially the 90.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if transfers for 86245 'Caledonian' have been produced in n gauge? I have looked at both the fox and railtec websites without luck. 

I was looking for a winter project and I remember seeing 86245 going through Tring in 1998 and being very confused and wondering if virgin were switching from red to blue. 

I know the nameplates and numbers would be possible through a custom nameplate package as I've done for 87101, but I am not sure if my taping off and spraying skills are upto the maroon stripes yet. 

Virgin Class 86 86245 'Caledonian' - Crewe

All the best

Dave

• Like 1

The next job was especially time consuming a before and after shot below of picking out the little 'spring clips' that hold the track to the sleepers. Only a tiny detail, but adds a tiny bit to the over all feel. Maybe more noticeable in real life than the before and after photos below.

IMG-20191009-WA0001.jpg.7657eb3febda6a0c33d7d82c446fd4b3.jpgIMG-20191010-WA0014.jpg.26d41d823220f98160dd73439ab045a1.jpg

• Like 10