Maid’s Morton

DavidMcKenzie

• RMweb Gold
On 05/04/2020 at 11:37, DavidMcKenzie said:

It's so hard to find the time isn't it. When I do manage I enjoy it so much though, already at my low ' beginner' skill level it's such a nice feeling to get a model finished and running around on the layout. I can only imagine how it must feel when you have created something as amazing as your Burton on Trent layout. 

Echo that comment. Everyone said of lockdown will give us time to ourselves - pah! In some respects I am busier now than before!!! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

To start with the bad news, we will be moving house soon and the layout is unfortunatly 'part of the house'. I did not make it free standing and I have spent a long time trying to work out how I could possibly detach it from the wall without damaging it. But even if I managed to remove it from the wall without damage it would not fit out of the door or the window. So I have had to admit defeat. The last running session including taking a lot of photos which will be posted here over the coming weeks/months. But the layout is now being dismantled and I am saving what I can for the future.

Onto the good news, once I am settled into the new place a new layout will be started, again WCML in the 90s, but possibly a different take on it with maybe a station, yard or junction feeling to it and depending on developments from revolution maybe something where the 321s and 313s could run alongside the existing stock (north london, willesden junction/wembley central area kind of feel maybe?). But for the next few months I am afraid all I can do is post existing photos. 

DSC_0236.JPG.be8d9152b3855346e66339857fab34d1.JPG

Grubby 90s after a hard days work

DSC_0002.JPG.f546ed129808c40df0bc2b9e5b7c5ecc.JPG

An 86 pushing the manchester service down to London passes the Royal Scot service heading north to Glasgow (sorry Duncan the lighting is still wrong, but one of the many lesson learnt for the next layout :))

DSC_0014.JPG.80041e770d8a5480a2cc2c09571c81de.JPG

A 47 plods by with an MOD working

DSC_0022.JPG.c8287685686cd968b15d817b869cc859.JPG

Lucky we have digital cameras these days, I completely missed the loco and got a shot of the first wagon in the rake. 

DSC_0030.JPG.3b24bbf1abe1f15736760013ca231afa.JPG

37s double heading on a heavy load

I hope everyone is keeping sane under the lockdown and thanks to everyone who has posted their model making efforts somewhere on the forum, checking in each day has kept me thoroughly enetertained. 

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Hi Dave,

I've enjoyed this thread immensely, have been a WCML fan since as long as I can remember, used to be able to see it as a small child at Stafford so that was pre spring 1964.

Looking forward to your new project. Are you staying in Lohmar?

es grüßt 

pc

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Good and sad news then. Best Wishes to you and your family in your new home. Sad that the country section of your layout will be no more, it is excellent, however  you have the opportunity to make another  great WCML scene.

I'm sure that you have many ideas for a new layout, I would consider a Watford Junction running north to the pair of double track tunnels. Its got 4 track running... tunnels at one end for a scenic break a station, junction, stabling point  and it's your beloved WCML.

Best Wishes

Duncan

• Thanks 1

Sad news, but you've achieved more here than most ever will and you get to start all over again, which is exciting. And you don't lose the stock so you've got the WCML ready to go!

We're also thinking of moving but Speke East could be carried to the new place in one piece! :) 

All the best.

Tim.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the kind comments, it's so very friendly and will motivate me for the next layout when it comes to it.  

Duncan I have often thought that Watford junction would make a great model, but the thing holding me back there would be space, it would end up very very long. But the underground line off to one side, the stabling point, the St Albans line, the (sand?) Loading point coming off the St Albans line and the WCML running through the middle would make such an interesting mix and it is a real location that isn't overly complex with excessive lines and point work. 

All the best,

Dave

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

Hi Dave,

I've enjoyed this thread immensely, have been a WCML fan since as long as I can remember, used to be able to see it as a small child at Stafford so that was pre spring 1964.

Looking forward to your new project. Are you staying in Lohmar?

es grüßt 

pc

Hi Padishar,

I can only image how interesting the WCML must have been in 1964. i was only born in 87, but my grandpa used the line to commute around that time and was full of stories about how it was from the mid 60s to the mid 80s and from the stories it sounds like  a real interesting period of change. 

As for the move, we are not going to be going so far. Just into a suburb of Bonn and about 20kms from where we are now. 

All the best,

Dave

Hi David,

I am a bit shocked, the countryside section was something else, it was pure WCML and I cannot believe it is no more. It has been great watching it develop. 

This clip reminds me of your layout so much.

Looking forward to your next project, it will certainly be one to watch.

Cheers 

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

I can only echo the comments made on here. You've achieved so much with what you have done.  Hope the move goes well and cannot wait to see what you end up with - hopefully a bigger train room for starters!

Envy you being in Bonn, big fan of the Rhein Valley area, north and south of Koblenz and love the German railway scene.  Had hoped to get over there for some more railway photography this year, but I doubt its going to be an option for the next 18 months!

Keep us up to date with your progress.

Rich

• Thanks 1

Hi David. 

I am sorry to hear this news. As it's already been said, your countryside section is amazing for someone new to the hobby. But on a positive note. I am sure that your next project will be just as good, if not better from these new skills you have learnt. 

Hope the move goes well for you and your family. 

Phil 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately I only recently  found this layout topic but it's excellent, very impressive. A real shame it can't be moved but considering the quality of the layout I'm sure we'll see something equally as good built in years to come. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Still love to look at this! Have you come up with plans for its replacement yet? Also, if I may ask, whose were the Intercity Mk3s behind the VT86 in the top shot?

Rich

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi David,

Still love to look at this! Have you come up with plans for its replacement yet? Also, if I may ask, whose were the Intercity Mk3s behind the VT86 in the top shot?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have just started a thread for North End Road, which will be the replacement. Over the winter I hope to progress with it, but so far it's a track plan on the computer and a pile of wood that needs turning into a baseboard. 

The mk3s are from Dapol. I've gone for no buffers so I can couple them 'closely'. 

All the best

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Season's Greetings to you and your family Dave.

Be sure to keep the original photographs (or even print some out), I think it will be a long time before we see such a wonderfully modelled countryside part of the WCML in N scale.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy Christmas too and good wishes fir them New Year.

And thank you for the perspective in your first paragraph.  It’s always good to be reminded how fortunate we are really.

Paul.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2020 at 09:54, Duncan. said:

Season's Greetings to you and your family Dave.

Be sure to keep the original photographs (or even print some out), I think it will be a long time before we see such a wonderfully modelled countryside part of the WCML in N scale.

Cheers

Duncan

Thanks Duncan. My wife made me a photo book from the layout which was very kind of her. Thanks for all of your tips, comments and help during the build. Wouldn't have turned out half as good without your input. 

All the best,

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely set of photos to finish off, Dave. Your 90 collection is impressive, love the revised RFD one particularly. I’ve arranged for Mercig to do one for me, so that should ensure Farish release a newly tooled one!